The Golden Book ~ Case 3 ~ The Lion's Food Crisis

Written in response to: Write about a character setting an unusual New Year’s resolution.... view prompt

58 comments

Sad

Once, the king of the jungle, the Lion, got very ill. He asked his faithful ministers to fetch him food to kill everyday.

His council of ministers agreed and brought him an animal to kill daily. One day none of the ministers was able to bring any animal.

The ferocious king asked one of the minister, “Why is there no animal in front of my den today?”.

 The minister, who was a crow, said to the king, “Sire, all the animals of the jungle have gone to the nearby jungle to live. Now there is no animal left.”

“And why is that so, crow?”

“That’s because the humans have started cutting the trees and there is barely any covered area remaining for all the animals to stay peacefully without bumping into each other as they breathe.

At this, the Lion said, “If this is the situation the one of you shall be my today’s lunch, I can’t go on hungry, you know.”

The council stepped aside for a minute and talked with each other. Then they told their plan one by one to the Lion.

First the crow stepped forward, bowing low, “Your majesty, I am a little creature, please eat me.”

The fox pushed the crow aside, “I have more flesh on me. Please eat me, sire.”

The leopard rushed in, “I am even bigger, your majesty.”

Just when the Lion was about to decide which animal to eat, an elephant stepped up. He said, “Sorry your majesty, I am not a part of your council, but I am the biggest animal in the jungle. You are our king, you are the one who protects us from the ruthless humans. These other animals are more useful to you than I am. Eat me instead.”

At these words, the crow, the fox and the leopard got ready to pounce on the elephant to kill it. Their plan had worked. The crow had seen the elephant long before and knew that he would sacrifice him for the Lion, so the ministers had put on a charade so that the elephant would sacrifice himself.

Before the ministers could do anything, the Lion said, “All of you stop! Don’t kill the poor elephant. It was my duty to protect you all from the humans, but I failed to do so because of my age. If all the creatures of this jungle have left, I order you all to leave as well. I don’t want to kill more animals, not after what I failed to do for them. Anyway, I am very old and get sick often. Now, I want to live a simple life and I don’t want anyone to interfere. So please, leave this jungle. The humans will come soon and take me to one of their prisons I heard were called ‘zoos’. ”

The ministers left immediately but the elephant remained. It said to the lion, “Sire, I don’t want to leave you alone in the jungle. Please eat me, you will enjoy a good meal for four to five days. Please don’t stay hungry. I insist.”

The Lion’s eyes became moist and then it said, “I don’t want to eat you. But you are my friend now. I would love it if you will help in this last phase of my life.”

The elephant agreed and stayed there with the Lion. It helped the Lion shelter himself from the humans for a few days, but then, as expected, the Lion died.

The elephant went to the nearby jungle where the other animals were staying. Apparently, the humans were after their tails and even this second forest wasn’t safe anymore. 

December 27, 2021 15:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

58 comments

Graham Kinross
23:54 Sep 25, 2022

“asked one of the minister,” should be either ‘asked one of the ministers’ or ‘asked a minister’. “animals of the jungle have gone to the nearby jungle,” so they’ve gone to a different jungle? I can see what you mean, that they’ve left the area but the repetition without clear wording is confusing. Also, repetition of the word jungle is jarring so you could say ‘animals of the jungle have gone to another one nearby’ or ‘animals of the jungle have left your kingdom.’ I see the theme of human destruction comes through near the end. That all ...

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:15 Oct 05, 2022

Thanks for these edits, Graham! Yeah, it does. The thing is, this GOLDEN BOOK CASE series that I have on here, were stories that I wrote YEARS ago, and I just revamped them by correcting a few grammatical errors (clearly, I missed a few) and posting them on here. I honestly don't even remember the story here! TvT XD But yes, I love animals, my religion teaches me to love animals. So in a way, yes it is my passion.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:41 Oct 05, 2022

Do you have any pets?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:33 Oct 06, 2022

No

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
18:50 Jan 11, 2022

I lost our challenge... well, completely forgot about everything. Do you think you could give me one more? Before I leave reedsy...

Reply

Dhwani Jain
02:37 Jan 12, 2022

Sure...i am not so sure why you are leaving Reedsy. But that's your personal choice. Do you need another challenge, or just extra time?

Reply

Akshara P
05:10 Jan 12, 2022

I'm taking a break... you can read my bio. :) Another challenge, please.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:28 Jan 12, 2022

Ok Write a story which revolves around food and food items. You have a month's time from today.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
04:04 Jan 02, 2022

Write a story with a curtain as the MC/important character or item. You have 3 weeks. Comment on any of my stories or in this thread to remind me when you're done and you have uploaded it on Reedsy.

Reply

I can and will do this. Will you take a challenge from me?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
10:21 Jan 03, 2022

Maybe,depends on the challenge.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I am sorry, but something has come up which I did not expect. My church is going to hold a celebration for the feast of Saint Agnes, which is on Friday, January 21. As you know, the next day is the deadline for the challenge I excepted from you. I have been asked to write an account of the life of Saint Agnes, to be read aloud at the dinner on her feast day. I am setting aside all other writing until I finish this project. It will possibly take the rest of this week for me to do it. Would you consider extending my challenge by one week? If y...

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:05 Jan 17, 2022

Sure ... You know it is just for fun....you can complete the challenge by the 31st. I really don't know much about Saint Agnes, or really Christianity as a whole...would you like to shed some light there as well? Take your time...consider the challenge extended.

Reply

Yes, I would be happy to tell you anything you are curious about! Is there anything in particular you want to know more about? When I finish writing my account of Saint Agnes' life, I will give you a link to the GoogleDoc. We don't celebrate every Saint's feast day with a dinner and such; we are celebrating Saint Agnes' feast day like this because our church is named for her. My sisters are going to play music for the dinner, too.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:20 Jan 21, 2022

Thanks, I will let you know, after reading what you send me. That'd be great!!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
23:16 Jan 01, 2022

Why… why do the animals WANT to die…???? I was honestly confused lol

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:02 Jan 02, 2022

😁🤷😅

Reply

TJ Squared
11:15 Jan 02, 2022

Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
02:36 Dec 31, 2021

😎🤗👍

Reply

Dhwani Jain
10:26 Jan 01, 2022

😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
23:07 Dec 28, 2021

💥 I might quit halfway though LOL

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:23 Dec 29, 2021

Dearest Sapphire! I, Dhwani Jain, challenge you to write a story with just non-living things..... You have a months time, surprise me! And oh! Don't forget to comment on any of my stories whenever you complete the challenge! ~ Disney Queen

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
19:15 Jan 06, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:43 Jan 07, 2022

I'll get back to it soon

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
10:36 Jan 07, 2022

So,um Write a story where an inanimate object comes to life, kinda like CARS You have 13 days, from today.

Reply

Unknown User
06:21 Jan 08, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:23 Jan 08, 2022

😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
06:23 Jan 08, 2022

😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Unknown User
20:05 Jan 05, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:44 Jan 06, 2022

Nice nice What's your time zone?

Reply

Unknown User
19:14 Jan 06, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:42 Jan 07, 2022

Ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
11:45 Jan 07, 2022

So,um, there is a HUGE time difference between NZDT and IST.... how will we do the Collab?

Reply

Unknown User
18:36 Jan 07, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:22 Jan 08, 2022

Ok .. Thanks? Oh.... You're Sienna....ok Coolio

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.