First Kiss

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Set your story at a park during a spring festival.... view prompt

34 comments

Happy High School Lesbian

Quick note: This story is quite short, and has nothing to do with the prompt. I haven't really written many things with romance in them so, I hope you like it! Feel free to leave feedback in the comments below! Thanks!




My name is April. April June. Yes, I am named after two months. Don’t hate me because of that. I’m also a sucker for romance. I’m 14 and waiting to have my first kiss. But, I don’t think anyone would actually like me. Yeah, I have low self-esteem, you don’t need to tell me, I hope my first kiss is under a tree in sp-STOP IT APRIL! No one wants to hear you ramble about your own personal issues. Yes, I call it an issue. STOPPPPP! It’s 10 pm and I was on face time with my friend Alex. She is the kindest girl I have ever met. She has picked me up when I have fallen, been there when I was sad and listened to my endless rambling without complaint. Eager to be there for me with her kind caring eyes filled with joy. 


“Hey, Lex!” I said


“Hey missy,” she said with a smirk.


“I am excited to see you at school tomorrow.” I made a heart with my hands and held it up to the camera.


“Me too.” She said, repeating the motion. 


It was like our handshake. The one we did when we were apart. To let each other know we were always thinking of each other. She was the first person I thought of in the morning and the last thing I thought of at night. She was my best friend. I had friends before I met her. We just never were this close. The bond we have, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. 


“I gotta go Lex.”


“Why?” She said with a concerned look.


I love it when she does that. 


“My mom is up. I don’t want her to find out I am up.”


“Ahh. Right. I should go too.”

“Love ya girl,” I said doing our handshake


“Love you too, Ape”


I ended the call. I smiled. My head touched my pink pillow. I closed my eyes with my heart filled with joy. 



✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥



I woke up with a jolt. Shoot! I need to be out the door in 5 minutes if I want to meet up with Alex!!!! Hurrying, I pulled on a white fuzzy sweater and some black jeans. I walked out of my room to the smell of pancakes. Great! Mom made breakfast. I rolled up a few of the steamy pancakes and put them in a baggie. Before my mom could even say “good morning” I was out the door.


I met up with Alex at the park near my house, she was already there, waiting. We walked to school holding hands, chatting, hugging, and smiling. Every minute with her was the best time of my life. I felt like I was living a dream. 


We got to class, and unfortunately, had to go our separate ways. We didn’t even have lunch period together! What a bust. I pushed through with the thought of knowing I would see her after school. 



✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥



“Brrrrriiiinnnnngggg!” The last bell. Finally!!! I pushed through the kids roaming the halls, chattering, walking to the bus, collecting their homework, and so on. At last, I made it out of the building. I searched for Alex, but I couldn’t find her. I had almost completed a 360 of the building when I saw someone waving. Finally, I found her! She was in the old kiddie playground that got banned because of safety reasons. Why was she there?! I ran towards her, instead of walking towards me, she walked farther into the playground. Was she hiding from someone?? Finally, she settled behind a wall. Thank goodness. I caught up with her.


“Why are we behind a wall Lex?”


“Because I need to ask you something.”


“Oooook?”


No words came out of her mouth. All she did was lean over, and kiss me. I was shocked, excited, happy, and every emotion all at once. I didn’t pull away. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her. She spun me around, our lips still locked. 


I liked Alex.


I guess I always knew but never did. When she kissed me those emotions surfaced. I kissed her harder. Her lips were soft and smelled like cherries. My favorite scent. She planned this out to the T. Well, she did make me the happiest 14-year-old girl whenever I was with her. I finally had my first kiss. Yes, it wasn’t under a tree in spring, but this was perfect. There was no one else I wanted to share this moment with. Except her. Alex Mendoza.


March 25, 2021 18:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

19:12 Mar 25, 2021

this story made me smile so much- it's so cute. i love the april and alex and their bond. as a 14 year old myself, you have captured the mindset very well. it's a little chaotic where we are always late and rushed. lmao if you hadn't said that you haven't written much romance before, i would never have guessed. the small personal details like the cherry lips were perfect. i saw you ask if you should continue. you should def continue romance writing, but i think this is just one of those special stories that doesn't need a sequel and allows ...

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
19:13 Mar 25, 2021

AWWWWWWW!! Thank you Coco!!! I really appreciate it! I am glad I captured the mindset. I will def continue, thanks!!!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
22:15 Mar 25, 2021

Thank you Coco :) Your a good friend :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Meera Lakshmi
19:02 Mar 25, 2021

Hey everyone!! So like I said at the top, I haven't really written romance stuff before.....let me know if it's something I should continue!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshaya ✨
15:35 Mar 26, 2021

Hi Meera!! I love this story so much!! Yes, I'm being frank! I love the subtlety and the minute details about their relationship. It was also really cute, and although you've said it's your first time writing a story in this genre, it came out amazing and I would definitely read more from you!! :) Keep writing!!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
15:39 Mar 26, 2021

Awwww, thank you so much, Akshaya!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
15:41 Mar 26, 2021

No problem!! It was really nice!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alya Kaikuahine
01:17 Mar 26, 2021

Cool story!! I like how April talks about having her first kiss then goes right to talking about Alex. I think this is so sweet!! Even though it was short I loved it:):):) Great job!!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
02:09 Mar 26, 2021

Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya M.
23:01 Mar 25, 2021

#StopDownvotingNow Share this with 10 friends!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
23:07 Mar 25, 2021

K!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
22:45 Mar 25, 2021

#StopDownvotingNow Share this to ten friends :D

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
23:07 Mar 25, 2021

K!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M C
21:22 Mar 25, 2021

I thought this was such a cute story!!! I love it so much and even though it was short it was really good! It was also very fast-paced but it didn't feel rushed at all and I love your twist on the prompt! Great job! :)

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
21:57 Mar 25, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Upvotey Girl ✨
18:28 Mar 26, 2021

Dear hooman, Heylooooo! As the Downvoting Police, I’ve gotta ask: Have you been downvoting recently/would you like me to upvote you a lil? (There’s way too many kind people who refuse to be upvoting, but frrr, if you’ve been stripped of your well-earned points, YOU’D BETTER TELL ME MISSY) Love, Random Upvoting Girl Who’s Going Around Spamming This Message Even Tho I’m In School

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
19:24 Mar 26, 2021

Hey, I got downvoted 200 points but I don’t care. I’ve decided that’s points don’t define my writing and I’m going to continue writing happily.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya M.
21:50 Mar 25, 2021

Meeraaaaaaaa! This is so good! I loved the friendship turned to romance. Btw, the name Alex Mendoza sounds familiar...do I know it from somewhere? A few critiques: 1.) Don't put more than one exclamation mark, question mark, et. al. Ex. "I need to be out the door in 5 minutes if I want to meet up with Alex!!!!" Just use one lol. 2.) Make sure things flow: Ex. "My name is April. April June. Yes, I am named after two months. Don’t hate me because of that." Why would we hate her because of that? Is there a reason? 3.) Give more backgroun...

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
21:56 Mar 25, 2021

Thanks, Keya!

Reply

Keya M.
22:41 Mar 25, 2021

<3 Anytime

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Terran Dowling
18:05 Apr 28, 2021

This is so adorable, so innocent! Much like my early stuff I wrote when I was in high school. PRECIOUS. The only thing I would *gently* critique is when she woke up with a jolt and said she had five minutes to get going, I would've added in the detail of her having looked at the alarm clock to see how late she was, but other than that, keep it up, you're doing amazing!!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
19:10 Apr 28, 2021

Aww. Thank you Terran!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I loved this very much! However, I caught a few minor errors. Please accept without any offense. 1. "Yeah, I have low self-esteem, you don’t need to tell me, I h..." It should be a period in front of the "me." 2. "...complaint. Eager to be there for me with her kind caring eyes filled with joy..." I think the period should be a comma, and you shouldn't use the word "kind caring eyes" because you used the word kind in the previous sentence. Search up words (synonyms) of kind. 3. "...I need to be out the door in 5 minutes if I want to m...

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
02:58 Mar 26, 2021

Aww thanks! Totally agree with 1-4 except the main character is April June. And she is asking Lex ie Alex why she is there...I hope I am understanding you correctly tho. If I misunderstood please tell me!!

Reply

Ohhhhhh-I understnadd, sorry!!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
14:47 Mar 26, 2021

Don't be sorry! totally fine!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
15:00 Mar 26, 2021

Yes!! Not a big deal!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
17:57 Apr 11, 2021

This was so sweet! I’d have loved a few more scenes of their bond being shown, or their relationship, but other than that, this was amazing!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
15:22 Apr 12, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Claudia Morgan
15:41 Apr 12, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
16:55 Apr 01, 2021

New story!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
17:29 Apr 01, 2021

I'll check it out ASAPPPPPP I am in class rn so I will later! Looking forward to iiiiiiiiit

Reply

Ari Berri
17:38 Apr 01, 2021

=)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.