2 comments

General

Excavated Audio Log #670281-DF

Log 1 of 11 

*rustling noises*

Alright, test, test. This thing on? I dunno. Ah, the time is going forward. Alright, hey, it's me. Well, me being Paul. What's up? Haha... this is awkward. It's like I am talking to myself but out loud. You know? Well, how would you know. You're a-a... a machine, just a device. You don't know how we could feel, or think, or act. You don't think! Maybe you will one day. Could you imagine that? Machines that think! I've heard rumour of it, but never thought it could be a thing. 


Friend of mine has this doll, it is quite advanced. Well, it's not a doll. It is more like a... what could I call it? Anyway, I got sidetracked. 


There are some crazy stories we've been hearing lately. What day is it today? It's Tuesday, I think. Yeah, Tuesday, May 19th, 2331. We have been getting some wild news... 


*rustling noises... the sound of wind hitting the recording device... silence... a small cough...*


Some people passed by, I didn't want to look like a crazy person... I mean, there are already so many crazy people out ther.e Imagine it, that people would say that there were aliens and that we've met them already? I mean, I remember my grandpa talking about what he had seen, he had travelled outside of our solar system, sent some recording himself. Kind of how I am inspired to make some recording of my own, ya know?


I dunno, it also makes me feel a bit pompous. Who would listen to it, ya know? It kinda makes sense, but also doesn't... I am just one person. Anyway, it was some weird stuff. People had seen spaceships. Can you imagine that? I will believe it when I see it though. I don't want to be like the crazy people out there. That'd be too much. I am fine. I am heading out to a friends now actually, I wonder what they'll think of all of... this. Weird crazy stuff. I-*small cough* -excuse me, allergies or something. I think it isn't aliens. We're out here alone if you ask me. Just us and the void... 


*silence... a bit of rustling... a button is pressed*


End of Log 1 of 11.


Log 2 of 11

*rustling noises...a rush of wind*

Oh jeez.

*heavy breathing*

Haha, wow. Wow! Almost dropped this. I mean, you probably wouldn't break- it! It wouldn't. Haha, me humanizing this device. Oh boy.

*heavy breathing*

Puuuh. Puuh. Ok.

*breathing slows*

Ok... wow... the crazies were right.. I feel crazy! Can you imagine it? The ships were real! Real!


*breathing... the device is moved about, rustling noises together with slight wind sounds*


It seems they... they are nice, though? I don't know. There's a draft, worldwide. All the governments are in panic. 


*breathing and rustling noises... a slight pause...*


Hell... I am in panic! This is crazy stuff! First contact! We... we have contact with people! I am going to fight aliens, I guess? I am overwhelmed. I don't know what to do... I am actually on my way to the draft office. It's surreal.


*sound of steps with other voices talking in the distance, the sounds of sirens and an announcement over loudspeakers can be heard in the distance...*


Stay calm the loudspeaker says. I swear. This voice will drive me insane, I've been hearing it all day...


"Please stay calm. All able-bodied men and women are bid-"


Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know.


"..district recruitment offices at once. Please ensure th-"

*bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt*


The speakers just turned off. I guess someone had enough! Hahaha... Yeah, right? Oh, right I am recording. I was talking to someone... Yeah, yeah I am recording...


"Like a diary?" 


Yeah an audio diary. Wait I will finish this... Yeah one sec... So, the electricity just failed apparently. It's crazy. I never held a gun. How are we supposed to fight aliens? They have ships everywhere. Apparently they have not killed any astronauts, or anyone on Earth. Everyone is on edge, I tell you. Just freaky shit. Ok... Ok... I guess we'll be fine... eh?


*rustling noises... a button is pressed*


Log 3 of 11


*rustling noises*

Well, we are on lockdown. The world governments surrendered to the aliens, but it turns out they are not conquering us but are "in" "corp" "er" "ating" us into their "em" "pire"... Whatever that means. Either way, no men are allowed out. My mom is bringing me groceries. It's kind of weird how it's only men.


*bird chirping noises in the distance... TV sounds are heard but not distinguishable*


It's weird. I am just sitting, out here, looking out the window. Nothing else has changed, you know? The birds are singing, the bees are buzzing. Everything else is the same. I wish I had that kind of distance, like the birds and the bees. Or that butterfly over there. as it wanders from one flower to another. No worries. Living in the moment. I used to live more in the moment, when I was younger. I feel like things are just being thrown at us, me, all of us right now... So many curveballs... I guess every ball is a curveball when you're unprepared. But who the hell is prepared for an alien invasion?


*bird chirping sounds in the distance and a slight scratching sound... silence... birds singing... silence...*


I just saw a spaceship fly overhead. They're huge, bigger than airplanes, even high up. They're higher up than the airplanes. They look smooth, some of them. I've seen others. Apparently, we are now part of the 'Mith-Fell Commonwealth'. Get this... get a load of this...


*rustling noises... a small laugh*


They're birds! Bird people! I saw some envoy of theirs on TV, as apparently they declared the UN as the head of government. God.. what a shitshow. Everyone was panicking and it was so, so funny when they decided every country has equal voting power in the UN. Oh. My. God. Everyone blew their SHIT! It was so funny!


*laughing*


Now, for the record I live in Germany, right, and our chancellor was all "But our economy! Our people! We need more say!" and the Mith-Fell, apparently that's what their species is called, these birds, they said "No, you are all equal," it was hilarious. Well, it was until they sent in their police force. Apparently the Commonwealth is some military junta of the strongest birds. They choose their leader with some kind of gladiator fights on their home planet... I dunno, there was some documentary about it but I didn't want to learn about them. Why would I? I will find out eventually, I just can't handle it now. I can't. 


*a deep breath and a sigh... bird chirping noises... a button is pressed*


Log 4 of 11


It's now been a year, since the Mith-Fell took power. I don't mind it now. I have a job in the police, and boy, it feels like everyone else does to. These birds let us do our thing, but they have so, so many rules. It's crazy. I know a lot of people that left to other Mith-Fell planets, too. Some even left Earth for way different places, way across the galaxy. It's.. it's crazy..


*rustling noises... another voice can be heard, barely audible*

You sir, yes. Do you have your ID card on you? Yes? Ok, show me- yes. Yes... Ok... Yes, you are clear for this district. No, I have not seen you here before...


*the other voice speaks, it's a deep voice, unmelodic*

Uh huh... well I will see you more often then! Yeah, no worries. Ok, have a good day...


*rustling noises*

Yep, you heard right. I'm a entrance guard now. The guy I let in? A janitor. A bunch of Mith-Fell moved here, Sol 3 is THE place to be, they say. A bunch of other species came here too, they brag about being on Sol 3 to each other. At least, that's what I heard. I am trying to learn Mith-Fell actually. It's super complicated, like morse code but with whistling.


*whistling noises*


Hear that one? That means "Yes, sir", I need to say that one a lot. Or sing it? I dunno, it's odd. You know what surprised me the most? It was when- one sec...


*a voice can be heard in the background, higher pitched, unmelodic, uneasy*


Yes, you're at the right place. ID please... To see if you can- yes. That's right. Hm hm... hm hm... hm yeah... I know, I know... Yep, ok you're good. Take care... So anyway, the thing that surprised me the most is they didn't care we have birds in cages, you know? I mean, aren't they their own people? Then again, we keep monkeys in cages... I dunno. It seemed weird. Wouldn't they free them? I will try to pick up my logging activities now. 


*rustling noises... a button is pressed*


Log 5 of 11


*rustling noises*



Oh wow, it still works! I totally forgot about you, old friend! Haha 

*rustling noises ... a groan*


Oof. Oh boy... It's been a while. When was the last time I used you? Wait, let me see.


*a button is pressed*


Log 6 of 11


*rustling noises* It has been 10 years, since that last message. Can you believe it? Well, not the last one. The one before that one. 10 years! It's now 2341. Twenty-three, fourty-two. My old man, he was an ass, he said I'd die before I am 40 with my lifestyle


*rustling noises... a cough* 


He wasn't wrong! I stopped smoking though, 3 years ago. I figured it would be time to look forward. There's this one race, the Prossnakan, they're humanoid like us. They speak our language. I've...


*rustling noises... a door closes... another door closes... shuffling of clothes can be heard*


*whispering*


Ok.. I am in the closet now. I almost forgot they have listening devices in all kind of shit.


*rustling noises... indistinct*


*whispering*

Ok, so, I joined the resistance... the Prossnakan... they came from another planet in the Mith-Fell Commonwealth... they're tired of all the policing, as am I. All I do is check... check for ID... or valid entrance... I branched out now... I am a bodyguard for a wealthy Mith-Fell politician.. I have all the clearances...


*rustling noises and a groan... a sigh*


Anyway, I am to get clsoe to him, and there are many others like me... Why am I recording this?... I gues... I guess if it goes wrong... there's something still left of me out there, who told the story... They are oppressing us... the Mith-Fell have go to go... We can do this, together with the Prossnakan.. I feel it...


*silence... rustling... a button is pressed*


Log 7 of 11


*rustling noises*


We are free! 


*gunshot noises ... fireworks in the background... more gunshots and screaming of joy, laughter*


Hahahaha! Woo!


*gunshot noises... fireworks... more shots... the shots become more and more distant...*


*another four minutes and 23 seconds of fireworks, and laughter coupled with joyous screams*


Ah! Right! 


*rustling noises... a button is pressed*


Log 8 of 11


*rustling noises*


I am so mad... I am so mad right now. I've been fired from my job. I was serving these Prossnakan assholes for 3 years, and only 10 away from retirement, and they fire me! Can you believe it? It turns out...


*heavy sigh*


I can't believe it, but it turned out that the... the Mith-Fell, they sent the Prossnakan to our planet to get them off of THEIR planets! Can you believe it? We became a dump of species that the Mith-Fell deemed too troublesome and they were right. The Mith-Fell were right, god damn it. I knew it. I should have seen it... but now that I see it before me... It is only clear now...


*another heavy sigh... breathing... a creeking chair*


You see, what they did was... they took all the quarrelsome species and put them on one place to see who would become dominant. They thought we, humans, were just as quarrelsome and racist as the Prossnakan... and they were right! After the Mith-Fell left, because they essentially abandoned Sol 3, the Prossnakan showed their true faces. They are peaceful to others, outside of Sol 3, but anyone on what they now deem their homeworld, they are hostile to...


Humans have to fill out 3 forms more than a Prossnakan. A Prossnakan is always preferred for employment over a human... A human can't... I can't even buy a house, without a Prossnakan approving it! What the flying fuck? How did this happen? They... I can't... I don't know what to do...


*sniffing sound... another sigh*


I poured my heart, my soul, everything in my power into the freedom of Earth, Sol 3, from the Mith-Fell... I thought I was doing it for the greater good, for the good of all mankind, but I was a puppet... A toy for the Prossnakan... My sister already left to the Kammarian Kartel in the ... I dunno where they are, honestly. She sent me some messages with some nice pictures. Kurec it'S called. She has a kid now, a 7 year old boy. I might join her honestly. She visited the hot springs there a few weeks ago and she said it was very relaxing. Everyone can get a home, a nice plot of land. The Kartel offers loands if you don't have the credits right away. I think it sounds good.


*chirping bird noises... the sound of a feeder hitting a cage... bird chirping noises*


That'd be nice... a nice farm... I will ask Julia if she can help me out with arranging it... Yeah... It might be time.


*a button is pressed*


Log 9 of 11


*silence for 14 seconds... a slight cough*


Sunday... May 9th, the year 2343, or year 2 of the Confederation of Sol's new time. All humans on Sol 3 have been deemed "undesirables" and have until 2344 to leave Sol 3... as declared on the 1st of May, 2343...


*the sound of metal on metal is heard... a small sob...... a heavy breath*


I can't... I can't believe it... They are kicking us off of our planet... Earth... And the galactic community? They are doing NOTHING! NOTHING!


*a bang on the table... sobbing... muffled words...*


I mean.. It's like we are ... We are all alone, like before. Like before! They are doing nothing! What good is a galactic council if they do NOTHING! It's like we are... I can't... I can't...


*a door closes... another door closes... silence for 4 hours and 34 minutes*


*a door closes*

Oh shit, this is

*hic*

this is shtill- shit... I'll... hmmmmmmmm...


*rustling noises*


C'mon... c'mo-


*rustling noises.. a button is pressed*


Log 10 of 11


*rustling noises* 


It is upon us... the exodus. Since I had a good record I could stay until the last moments of mankind on Earth. I am sure some people are in hiding. You know, underground. I don't care if the police hear this, you hear me guys? I DO NOT CARE! 


*laughter and some jazz music is playing in the background "In A Sentimental Mood - Duke Ellington, John Coltrane"... ice cubes in a glass swirl to and fro*


Heh... *sip* Yeah... It was a good run. These political games... We are all just a bunch of little monkeys... I booked my ticket, though. Going to Kurec, to be with my sister, and her husband. He works in a Synthetic Crystal Plant there, earns well. She works part-time on a farm near their place. The kid is doing well. I will be happy to be with them, again. I haven't seen her since she left when she was in her 20s. Just on videos, and holo-calls. It'll be so nice. Ah, Kurec. I wonder. I wonder, too, how things will be here. What will the remaining humans do? 


*the ice cubes in the glass knock upon each other as there is another sip*


Ahhh... that's good. My boss, Prossnakan, but a decent one, gave me some of his private liquor. He wished me well. He didn't stop it, though. He said he would if he could. Would he, though? What if the roles were reversed? What if I had to leave and I couldn't "do anything" because "my hands" were tied? I did my part in the uprising. And now here, here I am and I can't do anything... Just watch as we are sent off planet, forced to leave, wherever, by end of the year. They don't care where, just off planet. The Confederation is paying for everyone's tickets even, they want us all gone. 


*"So What - Miles Davis" starts playing*


*sip* My ancestors had a situation like this, here on Sol 3 itself. You know, we had people running from one place to another on Earth? Can you believe that? It wasn't any Prossnakan forcing them off their land, or Mith-Fell policing them and telling them what to do, who to talk to, where to live. It was humans. Other people like us.... Isn't that worse? That it was our own people? Now, I can understand as people try to kill Prossnakan, or fight back, but before, why didn't they fight back before, for others? Their own people!... Ah... if only they knew...


*a button is pressed*


Log 11 of 11


My name is Michael Thiern. I am one of the last humans on Earth. If you are listening to this, then you have found my time capsule. There is more information on the hard drives. We leave Sol 3, but we will never forget it. Goodbye.


*a button is pressed*

April 05, 2020 17:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Greg Gillis
12:51 Apr 16, 2020

Interesting twist; with a recorded diary and futuristic timeline. I do suggest you watch your punctuation and grammar. Perhaps downloading the Grammarly app may be a solution. It would have been nice to see dates on your journal entries as well so we have a better perspective of your timeline. Overall, I think it was creatively written.

Reply

Kevin Schenk
11:04 Apr 17, 2020

Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.