1 comment

Adventure

It had been a long time since Blake had seen the slums of Shadowbrook. Long before he got his hands on his staff and his Grimoire, he had been one of the hundreds of children who stayed amongst the rats and trash, depending on stealing and begging for food.

Now, he was one of the most successful mages on the continent. He still regretted one thing though. His friends, those who he had to leave behind, lest they became hostages for someone to use him for.If he had been just a bit stronger. He could have protected his friends from the gangsters and not left them behind.

He casually strolled into the alleyway, not looking to watch his back.

As he walked into the hydra's lair-a gambling den where he used to live- Blake rested his right hand on his grimoire, letting the carved runes calm him down.

Blake wasn't a child anymore, to be running around the den selling drugs and pickpocketing men who could easily snap him in half. He opened the door to the casino, feeling the creak increase his adrenaline enormously.

He casually walked past the first two tables to the bar and slid a gold coin across to the bartender, whose eyes lit up almost immediately.

"What will the good sir be having this evening?" said the bartender, his eyes flashing and drumming his fingertips on the bar's hard wooden surface.

"A cold brew. Perhaps a Gente" came Blake's almost lazy reply.

The bartender nodded and turned to the drinks, quickly mixing together the pulpy orange whisky and handing it back to Blake with relish.

Blake nodded and picked it up, moving to the closest available table. On the way, he passed a large bearded man who looked like he had seen his fair share of battles. On his belt was a hatchet which looked like it had been permanently stained with blood and on his back was an axe that looked like it belonged in the skull of a dragon. On his neck, there was a flash of green.

Blake frowned and turned around, ensuring he wasn't making a mistake. The man turned around as well, stopping his conversation with another hulking figure who glared at Blake's interference.

"Whattchu looking at. Let me have a drink in peace." said the man, lightly bringing his hatchet off the belt.

Blake frowned at the sight and put his hand on his grimoire again.

"I was just wondering where you got that amulet from. I have a friend who used to wear the same one. Lucky bugger."

The man who had frowned at the interference of Blake took interest in this particular sentence. "What was that bloke's name?"

"Firenze Blazethorn. Very hotheaded bugger who kept eating my food every two minutes."

The man with the hatchet chaffed at that and got up. "Blake stronghorn as I live and breathe. I was just wondering if we should have put your name on a gravestone!" Firenze pulled Blake into a tight hug that almost counted as a murder case.

Blake smiled. Firenze had been one of his oldest friends, despite being half-giant. He had been one of the original four idiots, Blake himself included.

" Say, what happened to Ryllae and Kyra?" Blake was eager to see the rest of his friends if Firenze was any indication of how they would react when they saw him.

Firenze's face darkened immediately. "Kyra set off to her family's mansion once you left. She wanted to know why they abandoned her." Blake nodded. That was just like her. A shy personality and innate curiosity for everything she touched, that was Kyra.

"They gave her money and said something about protecting her from larger evils. Hah. She's doing quite well for herself, though she's just starting out. She has a monopoly on most of the alchemical ingredients coming into town right now."

" And what about Ryllae?" asked Blake, trying to keep the excitement out of his speech. Firenze had teased him relentlessly when he was living in the slums for having a crush on the girl.

Firenze's eyes widened slightly as he continued talking with an exaggerated grin on his face. "Well, she was always a bit of a go-getter. You know Tanget right? "

"Doesn't he own the casino?"

"Yup. He was one of the best men I've ever met. Anyway, so once the old man died, he refused to give his money to his descendants, the greedy blokes only showed up after he had died and left him alone for thirty years."

Firenze's face was very red, whether, from the alcohol or the anger, Blake couldn't tell.

"So..."

"He gave the casino to her. The entire thing."Firenze's grin was from ear to ear as he swallowed another shot of his beer.

"She's here?Where?"

"Waiting behind one of my best friends until he realizes ten-year waits are only for annoying nephews who are perverts in disguise!"

Blake's laugh was tearing itself out of his mouth as he turned around to look at the very pretty short haired dark-skinned elf who was smiling back at him.

She grabbed him and hugged him, with a fierce amount of strength. Blake returned the favour, hugging her back with almost twice the strength. When they finally let go, Firenze had to ruin the moment with embarrassment.

"You know the magic duel championship right? She was up all night looking at that screen so she could see you. It was hilarious seeing her panic for you when you were just slashing through opponents left and right."

"I did not do that!" Ryllae's response was immediate and very untrue, a blush already creeping to her cheeks.

"Oh no Firenze, what if he gets hit by the golem! Or the flame spears! " said Firenze in a ridiculously high-pitched voice.

Ryllae seized a wooden ale tankard and threw it at Firenze's head, frowning when he dodged.

Blake laughed as Firenze retaliated with a tomato that was meant to be eaten with his steak.

It was great to be home.

May 25, 2023 11:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

J. D. Lair
19:04 May 28, 2023

Wow! What an awesome first submission. I really want to explore more of this world you have given us a peak into. Keep writing! Welcome to Reedsy. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.