Behind the red door.

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about a meeting of a secret society.... view prompt

22 comments

Mystery

Every rich kid has that one room in their house that they aren't allowed to use. Parent's usually are strict and evasive about entering in. I was a new kid in St. Anne's, Minestone school a couple of months ago. Danielle, the popular rich girl in school befriended me. Lucky for me, I didn't have to spend lunch break sitting alone in a corner bench next to the dustbins.

My mother is a nurse. Since school and rent is a bit expensive for us after my stepdad took all our belongings and hit the road, she usually works extra hours. That just means I get to be alone at home most of the time. When Danielle got to know this she invited me over to her place mostly to chill out since she was lonely like me which wasn't all bad. She had a huge house with an infinity pool, a tennis court, and would you believe it a helipad. You could say the house was based on a modern Victorian theme.

Having rich parents meant they were always busy. Either vacationing at some island or hosting the biggest events/parties. They held grand parties at least twice a week and a ton of high-class people attended them. If I was lucky I'd get to see a celeb or two. 

Today was a normal sleepover, we had completed our homework and eaten dinner. Our bedtime was near since it was a school night. Danielle's parent's never checked up on us whenever they had a party so we could do anything, literally. 

There was a dull beat in the background as we watched a horror movie on the laptop. We both were shaking like leaves under the blankets but kept on watching. Somehow during the movie, we passed out.

I suddenly woke up. Having a nightmare about an old man on the ceiling watching me made me super thirsty. I checked the bedside table where we usually kept a bottle of water but it was empty. Cursing myself for letting Danielle talking me into watching the horror movie, I tiptoed out of the room to go to the kitchen to get some water. 

The house was partially dark. I switched on the torch feature on my phone and looked around. A slight noise of the crickets made me all jumpy. I kept flashing the torch all around me to calm my nerves. 

My legs shook as my heartbeat rapidly. The house was silent and I could hear the footboards creak as I walked down. I stopped for a second as I felt something move across me. Quickly I moved the light in that direction but there was no one. 

"Get a hold of yourself. That movie gave me heebie-jeebies. Ghosts do not exist", I muttered and quickened my pace. 

Quickly I reached the kitchen and opened the fridge. Taking out the water I gulped it down. The cold sips felt quite refreshing. Just then I heard someone mummer in the background. I got worried thinking it was a burglar. Closing the door, I kept my bottle on the counter and switched off my phone light.

Using the light that came from outside I crept silently towards the noise. Hiding behind a table I peered at the shadows. Both of them were dressed in ballroom dresses and smelt like they had bathed in the latest Chanel perfume. I held my nose to stop myself from sneezing and revealing myself. 

"We need to do our best".

"Cannot let Irlene become our head. She has no morals whatsoever", the hushed voices were discussing. I knelt and kept my hands on the floor so I could see them better.

Just then another lady joined them, "It's time you returned. The meeting is about to resume".

Immediately I recognized that voice as Danielle's mother Irlene. Instantly I covered my lips to hold in the gasp. 

Crawling behind them at a safe distance, I watched them enter the strange Red door. The same door that Danielle's parents had warned her and then she warned me not to enter or there would be serious consequences if we disobeyed them. 

Being teenagers, we wanted to check what was behind that door. We often discussed what kinds of things we would find, would it be dead people or a secret wardrobe. One time we even thought it would lead us to another dimension or a secret fantasy land.

However, now when I saw Irlene go into the room, my curiosity piqued. I counted to ten in my mind before I decided to follow. I got up and walked to the door. Putting my ear to the door, I tried to check if I could hear anything. 

Silence was all that I heard, so I quietly turned the knob. The door opened and I walked in. Silently shutting the door, I turned around. 

My jaw fell to the floor.

It was a corridor and it had torches sticking on the wall that gave little light. Anxiousness and dread filled me as I walked down the corridor. No matter how lightly I tread, my footsteps still echoed. The end of a corridor led to a spiral staircase and below it was a room full of clothes. I gaped looking around. I rushed down and ran my hand across the soft materials. Felt like I was on a cloud. Sweet heaven. 

Suddenly I remembered why I was here. Looking around I tried to figure out where they disappeared. There were no doors except the one I entered from. 

A blue whale diamond necklace caught my eye. In the dim light, it shone brightly. Drawn to the sparkling diamond, I had to touch it. To feel how it felt. I ran my fingers across the diamond enjoying the smooth surface. Grabbing it, I placed it on my palm to inspect it better. 

Just then a loud noise had me jumping out of my skin. I turned around and noticed a shelf of furry coats had moved out and a secret door opened. Keeping the necklace back down I walked to the door.  

As soon as I entered I heard chants. 

"Ohhhhhhh ---- ahhhhhh ----------oooohhhhhhhhh----------- ahhhhh", and then there was pin-drop silent. I moved stealthily until I could have a better view. 

A man in a devil mask stood on a small stage holding a baton while another man in a wolf mask was kneeling with his head low.

"We do not have a place for people who commit treason. The rules were made for a reason. We cannot be exposed", he said calmly.

"The punishment has been decided", he announced and the curtains behind him drew open.  

A tall pole was there with a rope noose. "Hand over your ring", devil masked man ordered extending his palm out. Two people stepped out from the crowd and pulled the wolf masked man up. One of the men then pulled the ring from his left hand and the wolf masked man howled in pain. I had to cover my ears as I shuddered. 

They held him tightly as the devil masked man dragged a knife across his skin. He was deeply concentrating as he carved. The cries of the wolf masked man echoed and I felt as if my worst nightmares had come true.

Then they proceeded to drag him and tie the noose around his neck. His robe was taken off and on his chest were the words

'Traitor' carved. He struggled for a couple of seconds fighting to take a breath until his life ran out. 

Terror rolled down my spine watching the devil masked man make an action and the pole along with the person was rolled into another room. 

"The results for the election are out. Our new board of members consist of Jealous Witch, Grave Falcon, Dragon Prodigy and Dizzy Witch", the crowd stood up and cheered as the board members made their way up to the stage. All of them in furry robes and masks matching their names. There were two ladies with ugly looking witch masks, one man had a falcon mask and another one had a dragon mask. 

"You will be in charge of the Minestone Brotherhood. Now you will have to take a vow and drink the holy drink". The four members bowed down and then raised their right hands. 

"I will carry out my duties and responsibilities competently. The rules and regulations are the building stones of our brotherhood and I will abide by them. I give my life for the cause and no ill feelings shall be shown during my reign", they said in sync. 

Then the demon masked man took a knife and cut his palm. He dropped a few drops into a chalice made of shells. The others followed him, taking turns to do the same. Once they were done he raised the chalice and muttered a few words while the four held hands and bowed down. 

He then handed the glass to each of them and they took a sip. Once everyone was done he finished the remaining juice from the chalice and placed it on a table. 

"Behold", he yelled and moved his baton in the air. One side glowed a bit and then party poppers fell from the ceiling. 

I looked up searching for the source of it since a million thoughts ran through my mind. Quite engrossed in the ceiling I didn't realize that someone spotted me. 

"Look who we have here", a wolf masked female with a high pitched voice said and giggled. She grabbed me by the collar and dragged me to the stage. 

She threw me in front of the devil masked guy.

"And who do we have here?", he asked kindly. 

I was scared out of my wits! Sweat beads formed on my forehead and back as my brain shut down. My body shook like a leaf. Opening and closing my mouth like a fish, I struggled to let some words drop out. 

The devil masked guy got onto his knees and held my chin between his thumb and pointer finger. 

"I sense immense capability from this young one", he mused. 

"She should be punished", someone in the background opined and mummers were passing around.

"No, she's an innocent child. We can just make her forget about what she saw", another lady with a familiar voice said and I guessed as much it was Irlene. 

"Cut her tongue out", another man yelled menacingly. Another round of mummers passed around. 

But the Devil masked guy held up his other hand and the room fell into silence. 

He looked me in the eye, "Can you keep a secret?"

August 16, 2020 18:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Doubra Akika
21:14 Aug 16, 2020

Wow! I loved this so much, Lexi! The descriptions were so vivid and the beginning was amazing! I think you should go over it to fix minor grammatical issues though. I wanted to highlight some of them but I’m using my phone so I got really confused in the process and then I went back and couldn’t find them🤦🏽‍♀️. Amazing job anyway! Please keep writing more!

Reply

Lexi Robinson
06:39 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you. I will go over it!!

Reply

Doubra Akika
12:55 Aug 17, 2020

It was my pleasure! Thanks for checking mine out too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Wowowowow, this was veeeeery good! Spooky but awesome. That first line: ‘Every rich kid has that one room in their house that they aren't allowed to use.‘ Dang, talk about a hook if I ever saw one! Keep writing! ~Aerin P. S. Of you have time, could you please check out my most recent story? Thanks ;)

Reply

Lexi Robinson
20:54 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you and sure (:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
12:32 Aug 24, 2020

It's a wonderful story! Please read my latest story The Secret Organisation { Part 2 }

Reply

Lexi Robinson
15:54 Aug 25, 2020

Thank you and sure!!!!

Reply

Amogh Kasat
05:06 Aug 26, 2020

I would be waiting for your comment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
22:07 Aug 16, 2020

"Keeping the necklace back down I walked to the door." Should that be putting instead of keeping? "He struggled for a couple of seconds fighting to take a breath until his life ran out." Drop hanging breaks the neck and is nearly instantaneous. Draw hanging, where you lift them by the rope, strangles them and takes about four to five minutes- more if the rope is not tight enough to create complete closure of the throat. Just a technical detail. Once the action starts, this is very good. However the beginning is slow. Yes, you start wit...

Reply

Lexi Robinson
03:32 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathan Drake
19:23 Aug 16, 2020

This is quite well written, especially in the way you've built up towards that ending!

Reply

Lexi Robinson
19:24 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you 🌹

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vaniden Dmello
18:54 Aug 16, 2020

Liked Ur story 👍

Reply

Lexi Robinson
18:57 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Della Mathias
17:29 Oct 07, 2020

Good story. Vivid imagination. Keep it up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Samuel George
14:24 Oct 04, 2020

❤❤

Reply

Lexi Robinson
16:57 Oct 04, 2020

❤😘

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
06:21 Sep 02, 2020

Detailed and descriptive! great story

Reply

Lexi Robinson
18:46 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you🌹😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sayani Sarkar
18:58 Aug 22, 2020

Woah nice. Love how you managed to accomodate two prompts in one story! I genuinely thought they'll kill her or something. But it's better this way.

Reply

Lexi Robinson
19:54 Aug 22, 2020

Thank you for the Feedback❤☺

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vanessa Marczan
22:43 Aug 21, 2020

Good story lexi. I would have liked to see a bit more around the relationship between your main character and Danielle, to build up their characterisation and also contrast the horror of the secret cult. Looking forward to reading more of yours

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.