2 comments

General

You'll laugh when I tell you my "real name" , given to me by my beautiful yet very eccentric mother on the day of my birthing. She was one of the kindest and most generous people I had ever known. It truly broke my heart when her physical body gave up the ghost after battling an unknown illness for several years before her passing.

So called medical professionals, and there were many, had been left scratching their heads , trying to get to the root cause of her rapid decline. There was no plausible explanation ! My mother prided herself in keeping fit and healthy .She exercised almost everyday , going for early morning nature walks along the Fernleigh track which ran adjacent to our humble little cottage .Home grown organic fruit and vegetables was all that she ever consumed .

The day she died , it was like I had lost my identity, as well as my best friend . I couldn't eat, sleep or function like a "normal" human being ! My heart was broken and my soul felt empty . I didn't have anyone to turn to for support that would even measure up to the person my mother was! I was completely alone .

Then one morning as I struggled to get myself out of bed , i somehow managed to get my foot caught in the bedcovers , sending me tumbling down on the hardwood floor below! And just to top it off , as I clambered to grab my pillow to soften the fall , my bedside table with unforgiving sharp edges came toppling down upon me! Leaving a nasty gaping wound on the side of my head .

I couldn't move for what seemed like the longest of time , but in reality it had only been a few minutes give or take. My heart rate went from pumping madly and fast , to a slow ,almost to the point of stopping pace. I felt a cold sensation wash over me as I struggled to stay conscious.

As luck would have it , my neighbour Gladys happened to be passing by my bedroom window as she headed to her granny flat , located at the far corner of my backyard . An arrangement my mother had made with her best friend only a few months before she took ill. Gladys , a retired nurse , saved my life in more ways then one .

As a result of my unfortunate "accident" , not only did I receive a rather angry looking scar , but I also suffered short-term memory loss. This meant I could no longer work without constant supervision or visual prompts to help me to remember what it is I actually do. It was best for the company and for myself , that I take the generous redundancy package on offer . And let's face it , my work performance had declined drastically after the death of my beloved mum. Thank goodness for an understanding employer!

So now I find myself sitting in front of my laptop from the comfort of my own home , typing to "friends" I will never meet , sharing tales of erotica , sex and sin .Each time under a different pseudonym to protect my real identity , and because I forget.

These days my heart feels fuller , because I have found purpose once again .A reason to get out of bed each day . Knowing that I am giving many people "happy endings" motivates me to no end .

As fate would have it , I had been looking for something to keep me from falling into a rut of feeling depressed and of no use to anyone . Gladys my neighbour and my mum's best friend , suggested I take over the "family business" , my mother had been running for years , quite successfully. Of course Gladys pitched in here and there to earn a little extra dosh once in a while .So she knew the ins and outs of how the business operated, so was able to teach me in no time at all! Of course I needed prompts and guidance most days .Which Gladys was only too happy to provide !

Gladys was no only my business partner ,but she had become like a surrogate mother to me . The emptiness I had once felt , no longer gnawed at me . Of course I will always miss my mother ! She was like no other . Irreplaceable , unique and very good at sex talk! (Or so I am told , by Gladys and past clients) .

Who would have thought that I would soon follow in my mother's footsteps .And I was getting quite good at it too! My website ratings were proof of that! Of course I had to remain anonymous because of the weirdos and stalkers "out there". So I never posted any pictures of myself on my profile. Just symbols or images of flowers , animals or something eye-catching . Nothing that could point to my real identity . I did all of my work online , no phonecalls ,texting etc .And my clients seemed satisfied with that .

I feel like my mother had been watching over me this entire time , giving me signs and circumstances that would lead me to where I am at this very moment in time . It was just something she would do . It didn't matter that I couldn't remember today let alone last week! I just knew that everything was going to be ok .

"Ding!" Ahhh the sound of a notification on my computer , is like music to my ears ! Today I will be speaking with Beast_102 about unspeakable acts of bondage and boats . "Ok, that's a little weird !" You might say . But what can I say, he loves boats!

Its not always easy keeping track of all of the different names of both myself and my clients , but thanks to the new computer program Gladys installed , I get taken directly to the files of each client as their user name pops up . This enables me to quickly read through their likes and dislikes , as well as reminding me who I am to be with that particular client .

I actually enjoyed taking on different personalities and names ! And I get paid for it! Of course , all of this didn't come without sacrifices. I no longer had a social life because it became too much for me to keep track of people and places I needed to see and be . I didn't really have any close friends anyway . I've actually become "more social" with my online interactions would you believe!

"Hello Beast_102 , my name is Serophina ,where do you want me to take you today? "





January 24, 2020 23:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Len Mooring
04:34 Feb 04, 2020

A wonderful story. You have a nice lulling way of writing which I enjoyed. I used to like boats too.

Reply

Cindy Bennett
22:29 Feb 04, 2020

thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.