1 comment

General

Marie started back to her table with her latte in hand as she turned to make her way back she bumped into a man who was standing too close. Marie's latte started to slip from her hands as she bounced off the mans plump middle aged abdomen. Marie was able to secure her latte splashing some of the white foamy milk. Foamed milk splashed onto her face leaving milk polka dots on her upper lip and glasses. Marie started to stutter an apology as her eyes met the owner of the plump abdomen. Their was something familiar about the mans face then recognition hit this was her dating site date, Matthew who was over twenty minutes late. Marie thought to herself Matthew must have used a much younger profile picture the eyes were the same but the lines on his face and his waist line had grown with time." Hi Marie" he said hesitantly as if to confirm her identity. He offered her an apology for his lateness and a napkin. They quietly walked back to the table where Marie had previously sat nervously waiting for Matthew. The conversation flowed like the three other dates Marie had went on in the last month. The usual back and forth questions where did you grow up? What do you do for a living ? They also chatted about their love of books and favorite authors as they sipped their lattes. Their conversation was comfortable and easy however it lacked the spark Marie was longing for. Marie was looking forward to the next part of their date she felt like a anxious teen groupie waiting for her favorite celebrity. Marie had never been to an event like this before and wondered if Matthew had. So Matthew have you ever been to one of these events before she asked?" No" he replied" I'm not much for crowds or standing in line but for this it is worth it". They continued to chat as they waited for the next part of their date to begin. A voice over the loudspeaker directed them to line up at the conference room door and a crowd of people got up from their seats in the cafe and made there way to the conference room. They waited in line outside the conference room for another half hour the time growing along with Matthew's frustration at having to wait.Marie tried to reply lightheartedly to Matthews comments of disapproval of the wait. Marie couldn't help thinking this was karma for Matthew keeping her waiting wondering if she had been stood up. Marie thought for her it was the universe showing her that Matthew was not destined to be her soulmate.They stood in line as a store employee took their names and handed them their their name tags. The doors finally opened to the conference room and the waiting crowd surged forward anxious for the event to begin. This was no ordinary night. This was an event a once in a lifetime event a date that Marie and Matthew would never forget. Cameras flashed from the paparazzi as they tried to get pictures of the crowd surging forward. Marie couldn't help thinking even though Matthew was clearly not her soulmate they would always have this incredible night. This was an author event the book was no ordinary book it was an adaptation of his award winning movie which the author stared in and the entire cast was there to perform a scene that included two of its award winning original songs. Marie was separated from Matthew as the crowd pushed her forward. Marie found herself pressed up against the side of the makeshift stage. A voice directed at her said Jared needs his jacket for the second song. A jacket followed the voice as it landed in her hands. Marie tried to reply that she didn't work there but it was no use as she could not find the owner of voice. Marie and Jared's jacket made there way behind the set where Marie tried to get the attention of the people running back and forth shouting orders to each other. Marie finally found someone who stopped long enough for her to say I have Jared's Jacket, oh good replied the young man just take it to him at the entrance to stage right. Marie had taken some theater classes in college so she knew how to find stage right. Marie found the author and actor waiting to go on stage she tried to hand him his jacket but he barked at her "I don't need it until the second song just wait here with it until then". Marie did as she was told and waited behind the stage. Marie's mind finally made the connection that she had lost her date in the crowd and was now backstage waiting for her favorite author and actor. Jared made his way off stage stripping his shirt off along the way. Marie couldn't help staring at his chiseled chest she must have stared too long because Jared chuckled cleared his throat and asked for his jacket. Marie handed him his jacket and their hands touched during the exchange causing what could only be described as lightening shock they both stepped back looking at each other wide eyed. "Thank you" replied Jared" um are you the new stage hand"? "No" Marie replied" I got separated from my date and next thing I know someone threw me your jacket and told me to bring it to you"." So you don't work for the production and you lost your date"? said Jared." Yep" replied Marie. Jared replied with a smile and whit "well lucky for me then and unlucky for your date". Marie couldn't help but smile back. Jared introduced himself before rushing back on stage. Marie intended to wait backstage for Jared hoping to continue her conversation with him but mind knew she should forget waiting for Jared and go look for Matthew who was in the audience probably searching for her. Jared appeared just at the moment where Marie's body caught up to her mind and she was starting to walk away Jared caught Marie's hand and the electric shock that they had experienced earlier struck again. "I really need to go look for my date" stuttered Marie.

July 10, 2020 03:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jubilee Forbess
16:30 Jul 25, 2020

Hi! I really enjoyed your story! I'd break up some paragraphs and watch for little things like run on sentences and punctuation, but you have a solid story! Good dialogue, too, it just needs to have paragraphs started when you switch speakers.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.