55 comments

High School Middle School

Introduction:


The Covid-19 pandemic has seriously changed the lives of so many around the world, with the way we work, study, and see other people. It is hard to get through a crazy, once-in-a-lifetime event without trying to adapt and get used to the new situation. Just like so many people around us, I and my family had to accept the new challenges and try to overcome them together.


The first thing I had to get used to was wearing a mask and trying not to take it off. It can be uncomfortable and hot but I understand that it's necessary. I'm sad that other people don’t seem to think so, or even if they do wear a mask they do it incorrectly.


The thing that triggers me the most is when I first went to school at the beginning of the year and three of my teachers wore a Face Shield with no mask. They are the ones who are meant to set an example for the students and not the other way around. The pandemic situation had also caused some conflict within my family that would not have happened otherwise if it wasn't for Covid.


For example, my brother who doesn't like to wear a mask and bothers me when I do. This can be the start of arguments, but I also realized that we have to be more patient with each other because we are all going through a tough time. The most difficult thing for me to get used to was online/remote learning, because you are not in-person to get help with school work, and you are left to deal with it on your own.


Rather than getting help step-by-step, you need to figure it out on your own. This forced me to be independent but I feel like I didn't learn as much in school as I could have and sometimes it's hard for me to stay focused or motivated. While I think being away from other people who might have been exposed to the virus is a good idea, it makes it very difficult for students to perform in school to their best abilities.


The last strange thing we had to overcome was zoom church, and not being able to go in-person. With zoom church, you feel like you're missing out on so many things that make going to church feel so good. Most of the time with the in-person church you'd go downstairs into the basement for Sunday school, then go back after an hour, and sit upstairs with the adults for the sermon to learn more about God. After that we got on the church bus and went home.


I told my grandma that they didn't make us wear our masks, and she was very upset about that so she called them and told them off for not making people wear masks. She suggested doing zoom church saying that my grand-kids are not going to church until you make people wear masks. So we've been doing zoom church recently.


 I miss the sense of community and being with nice people from church, but I know they will be there for me to meet once it is safe to do so. In conclusion, living through a pandemic has created challenges for many people. Personally what I found hardest was handling school. Online learning and also trying to be safe while other people are not.


Although there have been many challenges I learned a lot about myself, my life, and the people around me. I think I became a bit more independent, patient, and tolerant with people in general, and I wish others would act like that too. The Pandemic ruined everyone's life, everyone in the whole world is getting sick due to covid-19, someday I wish it would go away and never come back. Pandemics shouldn't reflect on others, it should reflect on those who started them.


I believe in my own personal opinion that this virus that's affecting others in this world should go away. This virus called Covid-19 is making millions even thousands sick. Killing those who are most at risk and whose very innocent people who don't deserve to die. This essay is not to offend anyone by their race, color, or gender, so don't be offended this is for school purposes only.


People should also think that if you are around people in public you should stay more than ten meters apart maybe even more than six feet because the droplets of the virus spread through the air. Anytime time you go out in public and see someone not wearing their face-mask the right way, say they wear it under their nose, tell them to fix it because you and you're family are most at risk of the virus.


Many owners at grocery stores have set some limited popularity, like less than fifty people can enter a store at a time. Some people who want to go shopping in a store get really mad when the store manager doesn't let them in because they are not wearing a mask.


Everyone's opinion should be, if you go out in public just wear a mask it's not that hard just slip the loops over your ears, and slip the fabric over your face. Keep people safe not in danger of this very deadly virus.


If you don't want to infect or get infected from this virus then stay away from people as far as possible. The number one rule in the United States of America states that you should NOT give handshakes or hugs to anyone that has been exposed to this virus.


Like at my church the pastor did NOT make anyone wear a face-mask or social distance from each other, that's why they have to do it over zoom now because of my grandma. Thank you guys for understanding why I think everyone should social distance and stay away from people for as long as possible.






-Veronica Pena

January 06, 2021 15:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

55 comments

this was a great story and i agreeing with everything you said - you dont have to keep saying "in my personal opinion" because its repetitive in your story - try to make it more formal but other than that it was great to read :)

Reply

Veronica Pena
16:32 Jan 08, 2021

thank you so much :)

Reply

you're welcome

Reply

Veronica Pena
16:35 Jan 08, 2021

i fixed it, go check it out

Reply

just finished reading it over and it looks a lot better and its easier to read. good job. :)

Reply

Veronica Pena
16:44 Jan 08, 2021

sorry if i didnt answer quick enough, i was studying spanish while watching my nephew play with his new puppy

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
16:13 Jan 08, 2021

This was great!! I would make the style a little more formal and use formal words but the basis was very good!!

Reply

Veronica Pena
16:14 Jan 08, 2021

tysm all of the stuff i written in the essay is all true 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reply

. .
16:14 Jan 08, 2021

XD I can relate to most of it!!

Reply

Veronica Pena
16:15 Jan 08, 2021

hey one question

Reply

. .
16:15 Jan 08, 2021

Yeah?

Reply

Veronica Pena
16:16 Jan 08, 2021

wanna be friends? also, have you ever won any of these contests? if so how did it feel to win?

Reply

Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.