1 comment

American Christian Fiction

It was afternoon at Hemingway’s and the terrace outside was empty except for a young woman who lingered alone in the shadow the umbrella of the table made in the sunlight. In the evening the air was cold and moist, but in the afternoon it was warm and dry and the young woman liked to sit because she was cold-natured and in the afternoon it was quiet and warm and she felt her soul’s fire. The waiters inside Hemingway’s knew that she was not drunk and she was a good customer, so they watched her and waited for her to come back inside for a drink.

“Yesterday she left her job,” one of the waiters said.

“Why?”

“Turns out the manager wanted to sleep with her.”

“What?”

“Just that.”

“How do you know?”

“I have a friend who works there.”

They stood inside behind the bar in a small area against a wall away from the door and the young woman sat at the terrace outside where it was empty except where she sat in the shadow of the umbrella and fall leaves stirred up and fell. A marine and his wife went by. He was in his uniform. His wife wore high heels and stepped in line with him.

“She better stay out of trouble,” one of the waiters said.

“Didn’t she already?”

“She had better not get another job like that. It might happen again. What if we offered her a job?”

The young woman that had been sitting outside under the umbrella came in with an empty cup. The waiter acknowledged her. 

“What do you want?”

The dark-haired young woman had wide blue eyes and she wore black eyeliner and mascara. “Rum and coke,” she said. “It was delicious.”

“Don’t get drunk,” the waiter told her. The young woman’s kohl-lined gaze bored into his. The waiter turned to make her drink.

“She’ll be here for a while,” he told the other waiter. “I’m ready to go home. I never get home at a decent hour.”

The waiter poured her a rum and coke and handed it to her. She paid him. There was a Jesus sticker on a pole making a joke about tipping. The walls were lined with dollar bills.

“You should work here,” he told her. 

“Thank you. I might,” the young woman said. She walked back outside and sat down again. The waiters stood behind the counter.

“Can’t tell if she wants to,” he said.

“She’s just been assaulted at work.”

“What does stuff like that happen for?”

“That’s existential.”

“How does she manage?”

“She’s brave.”

“Does she have support?”

“Friends… family.”

“That’s good.”

“I know.”

“Does she need a job?”

“Probably. She’s not rich.”

“She’s 22...23, not sure.”

“Maybe older.”

“She looks young.”

“I wish she would work here. We get busy and there’s live music. I’m beat when I get home though.”

“She’d manage. Not sure she likes the evenings though.”

“It’s warm inside.”

“She’d like that.”

“Does she live alone? With parents?”

“Not sure.”

“It’s good to be young.”

“I know.”

“She never gets too drunk. She’s great.”

“I know. I wish she would work here. She’s brave after what she went through.”

The young woman sat outside and looked over to the downtown harbor where there was water and boats. She dreamed of sailing.

She didn’t come in for another drink. She was done. The young woman took her empty plastic cup and trashed it before walking away.

“She’s not drunk,” the waiter said.

“She’s gone now, I think.”

“Why didn’t she ask about the job?” 

“Don’t know.”

“I’m ready to go home.”

“Me too.”

“She’s tired too and doesn’t like the evenings because they’re cold and damp.”

“Why doesn’t she just stay in?”

“No clue.”

“She could buy a bottle of wine and watch a movie or television.”

“It’s nice here though… out there… and quiet.”

“It is,” agreed the other waiter. He only thought the wine was a good idea.

“Do you want to sit at home and drink wine?”

“I’m missing your insinuation.”

“What insinuation?”

“Nevermind,” the waiter said.

“Whatever.”

“Forget it.”

“She doesn’t have a job right now.”

“I know, but she was offered one.”

“Let’s forget it. She’ll come back if she wants it.”

“We could mention it next time,” the waiter shrugged.

“She might not like staying late. I love it. It’s so cool and people start talking…”

“I’m ready to go.”

“Not for a while.”

“We’re both tired,” the waiter said. He polished a glass and wiped the counter down. “But we need to get ready for tonight. People will be coming for the live music.”

“We’re like the only bar.”

“There’s some other restaurants.”

“Do you get it? This is like the best place. It’s warm and quiet and then cool and busy.”

“You’re crazy. It’s just a good bar.”

He glanced to the Jesus sticker and thought to himself. It’s a great place and she needs a job. There’s live music. She’ll get used to the cool air or she’ll just stay inside in the evening and night. It’s warm in the daytime and she could go outside. It’s a good job. What’s to fear? Only for himself, he thought back to her eyes boring into him. She was a woman and he was a man. It was just that and it was maybe all you needed and a certain something else. Some lived it and loved it and some never felt it or maybe they did and he wasn’t sure but some loved but he knew it was something or nothing…she was downright beautiful. Our Father who art in Heaven, holy be your name thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil; for thine is the kingdom, the power, the glory forever. Amen. He smiled and relaxed with peace in his soul.

“What are you on about?” the other waiter said.

“Just praying, man.”

“Oh, right.”

“Need a drink?”

“Later.”

“This place is going to get busy soon.”

“I know.” They were both tired.

A quiet and nice bar in the daytime, sometimes music… in the evening, it was busy… he would go home eventually and lay in bed and he would think of her again before he fell asleep.

December 18, 2020 07:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tambra Birkebak
23:12 Dec 25, 2020

Interesting story, as it is for any first recognizing a romantic interest. Commenting as a reader, your starting paragraph and description caught my attention nicely. Then several lengthy runs of back and forth dialogue seemed more challenging for me to determine who was talking and why (so limited hints to if waiters were a main character/s or just a sharing info tool). The prayer made a connection to the “Christian” category here, but I wasn’t sure how it connected to the story. Maybe I missed it. Keep creative juices flowing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.