0 comments

Suspense American Friendship

Punxsutawney Ghost

               One October night when the clouds were laying on the town roads, everything silent, no noise to be heard. Not even a mouse, nothing but fog ran through the streets. When the sun goes down the shadows in the town, anything, and everything in the dark roams freely. No one is safe , and no one can see them…. Just beware not to look at the shadows they create.

               Many stories are told about ghost in old towns and cities, but this one is about a group of college friends who stumble upon a ghost in the town of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. Little did they know it would make them have sleepless nights, being paranoid, some panic attacks and feel chills no matter where they were. This is a real story from not to long ago, little did they know when they arrived at college this would be their college experience. Names of the students in the story has been changed for privacy reasons.

               It started when Rose, Luke, Amber, and Sophia where making a friend dinner in the community kitchen provided by the school. They were all cutting, chopping, peeling, setting the table, and relaxing watching the Halloween Cake Competition on the Food Network. They forgot the drinks and cups so Amber and Luke decided to go get the drinks from their dorm rooms. While they where getting the drinks and cups Sophia and Rose was up in the kitchen when they heard people running . Then Rose thinking it was Amber and Luke returning with the drinks and cups, she came to realize no one was on the floor of where the kitchen was. Then about 15 mins later Luke and Amber returned with drinks and their cups for everyone, to realize their friends where acting weird. Rose told them about the story of hearing running footsteps in the hallway while they were gone, so then Luke and Amber decided to go make sure when they realize that a door 307 was unlocked and wide open. Luke proceeded to walk in to check out the room to make sure no one was in, when there was not, he came back saying that the bathroom door closed by itself.

               So, the group decided to close the kitchen door and decided to download the ghost apps and test it out and they all went into the dorm room. They spent half of hour in the dorm room 307 which was already deemed to be “haunted” by some teachers that said students have said it was haunted. Amber had said it felt as if it was a heavy feeling in the room. And while she was sitting on the floor, through the crack of the door she saw a big shadow walk past but no footsteps, fast but softly. She opened the door to discover she realized she did not hear the doors open or shut. After Amber told them they all decided to eat then leave. They all went their separate ways, but they texted that night about what they saw. Amber and Luke discussed about going to the Historical Site to figure out why or if it was real. But little did anyone think their night was over.

               Amber had a text at 2am from her friend Luke Saying he is saying how he sees a Chief Native American in his room. Amber said try to calm down and go to sleep, that was the last text of the night. The next day Luke and Amber went to the Historical Site at 10 am to figure out what it was about last night. Then from shock the kind ladies said the town was an old tribal ground so to say and that one day they disappeared. The tale goes that Shawnee or Delaware , Seneca’s or Iroquois Indians occupied the grounds of what is now known as Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. The Indian that was to be said a sorcerer first appeared in different forms and terrorized travelers that came to the town. young chief killed him and then was haunted by the sorcerer. They burned his body to destroy the evil medicine but mysteriously turned to searing sandflies, or also known as ponksad. which infected the area and the Indians tribes. The Indians called the location Ponksaduteney, which translate to the town of the sandflies. The ghost of the spelling is with us to stay yet the sand flies have left.

                Then after hearing all the history of the town Amber and Luke took a tour of all the artifacts that was still there from the Indians that once lived there. Luke was more worried and then he started to see this appearance more and more as time went on. He would start having panic attacks that when he did he kept saying he kept seeing the figures and then  Amber had to keep calming himself down. Sometimes that would help but other times it would just go on for hours.

               After a while life was going back to normal until after Halloween ,  events got more tricky. Nights got longer with studying and life with the supernatural. More students reported tow see a black figure roaming around the dorm. But Luke started to see the black figures walking around the town close to sunset and after sunset in the shadows of the town. Amber was feeling that she was being watched from every corner and found out her roommates like to call them self-witches. After she found that out , her health and mental health started spinning down the drain. Amber could not figure out why, so then after a walk with Luke at night she decided to move in with her friend to get away from the two roommates. After Amber left her old roommates started to call her two faced and calling her names and she couldn’t handle that, so she had to finally ask for help to get moved out faster. For Luke he would barely sleep at night.

               To this day Amber would stir clear of any more supernatural events and related stuff. While Luke still sees the black figures from time to time. But as for rose everything was the same, she is still the same. Well for Sophia something changed her emotions she was not acting the same and no one has contacted her since the events taken place…

The End.

By Mariah Philips

October 16, 2020 20:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.