No Fishing Past June, Part III

Written in response to: Start your story with the flickering of a light.... view prompt

10 comments

Horror Mystery Suspense

[Continued from No Fishing Past June, Part II - Check it out by visiting my Reedsy profile].

"ON my mother's life man!" Jimmy holds up his hands as the Ranger shines a flickering flashlight in his eyes. "It was just a campfire that got out of control. " 

Burning the buds didn't go as planned. Once the fuel was lit, it ripped across the crimson flowers like they were black powder. Even with a fire extinguisher in hand, I couldn't control the blaze, and it engulfed our back acre, spreading a firey tongue towards the Lazy-J Ranch and engulfing its barn. Though our house was spared damage, the surrounding fields and flowers were destroyed. When the fire trucks finally doused it, Jimmy took the blame.

"You knew damn good and well what you were doing." the Ranger jabs his finger into Jimmy's chest.

"Look guys, the fire department put it out." I nod and try to deescalate the situation. " My insurance's going to cover the rest."

"You burned nearly fifteen head of cattle!" the Ranger yells and grabs my shirt, "You have any idea what that will cost us?"

“I’m sorry, It was horrific, truly.” I start, “I promise I already spoke with my adjuster and you will get compensation.”

"You two just don't have a clue, do you?" the Ranger shakes his head and pulls out a pair of cuffs, "But, boy, you're going to learn."

I spend the next hour in a holding cell next to Jimmy, who's buried his face in his hands. I put my hand on his shoulder, and he shrugs it off.

“I’m sorry Jimmy,” I offer, “I’ll have Lorelai bail you out too. I can talk with your folks.”

“It won’t matter. I have a record, this is just the excuse they need to lock me up or worse. I’m outta here after tonight.” Jimmy draws his knees to his chest. “Seriously, fuck this place.”

I scan the cell's yellowed walls. Random graffiti scratched in pen adorn their surfaces. 

Jess Gives Head

Let's Go, Brandon

Screw Star P.D.

My eyes pause on a message hastily scribbled near the floor.

Let it sleep

"You didn't burn those cows man, they were already gone." Jimmy's eyes clench, holding back tears, "This town loves to drown its secrets."

“Maybe,” I respond, “But why would they drown cows?”

“You didn’t see it did you?” Jimmy’s face goes pale. “Something pulled them under the water, some thing ate them.”

Hushed voices echo as they approach, and Jimmy quiets. The sheriff unlocks the cell and beckons to him. "Your parents bailed you out. Come on."

“No.” Jimmy shakes his head. “They wouldn’t do that.”

“I said come on!” the sheriff growls and grabs Jimmy by the arm. He’s pushed forward and out the door before my ranger friend walks back into view. 

"I want to have a word with you, Mr. Jenkins," He says calmly and swings open the cell door. I stand, but he nods for me to sit again.

"This is as good a place as any. We don't get many overnight guests in Star. We like it that way."

"Look, if you're thinking Jimmy burnt the ranch maliciously…." I begin, but he shakes his head.

“Let’s cut the bullshit shall we?” He sighs and pulls a toothpick from his shirt pocket, letting it run between his fingers before placing it perfectly between his lips. “I know you started the fire, and I know you and Jimmy were out at the lake.”

“Star has an invasive flora problem.” I try, “And it’s stemming from the lake. I mean toxic-level dangerous to your wildlife, maybe even your citizens.”

"Yeah, don't I know it." The Ranger gives me that same old easy smile, "It's always active in the summer, won't sleep till November really, that why we have those signs everywhere. Course with all the damage you've done it's wide awake and hungrier than hell."

“You…you know?” I inch away from him.

"I belong to, well you might call it a fraternity, that sorta keeps an eye on things around here." The Ranger looks around the cell for a moment, "Kinda like a neighborhood watch."

I shake my head, trying to wake from this nightmare.

"See, we watch it," he continues, "And we make sure it stays asleep. Sometimes it puts its feelers out, and we allow for a certain amount of loss. Hell, the flowers are actually kinda nice - as long as you don't get too close. Used to be a few heads of cattle could satiate it, along with the odd squirrel or bird…."

“What are you protecting?” I ask.

"But the damn pandemic closed down three of our ranches, three!" He sighs without pausing, "Lazy J's stock got sick to boot. I don't know how we'll keep it pacified this year. Of course, our forefathers had their ways back in the day and never seemed to have a problem. Well, til the department of Public Works flooded them out."

He dusts off his pants, "It really doesn't like you."

“How long has that thing been there?” I watch him closely. “Jimmy’s not going home is he?”

The Ranger smiles, "Sometimes the old ways are best." 

He offers his hand, but I shake my head, "no," and wonder how far I could get if I knocked him down and ran. He seems to know my mind and settles his hand on the pistol at his side. 

“I think it’s time you all moved on. The Cattlemen’s Association will give you more than a fair price for your property. Got the paperwork all drawn up out front.”

* * *  *

FLESH for flesh. The old ways are best—a scribble of a tag sprawled across the back of the lake sign reads. A chill hits my spine as I drive past it and navigate the U-Haul to our front door. The next three days are a flurry of packing boxes and loading our belongings. Lorelai and Sasha don't understand, but when the check arrives in a sealed envelope on our doorstep, Lorelai turns to me.

“What the hell is going on, Scott?” She shakes her head and shoves the check in my hand. “This is beyond bizarre. We just finished getting settled!”

“I can’t explain it all,” I shake my head and try to comfort her, “At least not right now. You have to believe me when I say it’s for the best, for all of us. I messed up, and we’re really not wanted.”

“Well, it doesn’t surprise me with you burning down half the countryside.” She sighs, “Have you tried talking to these cattlemen? How serious could it….” she pauses as she looks out our window.

A line of silhouetted figures stand sentinel at our property line, their faces darkened by the moonlight’s shadow.

“This..." she whispers, "This is serious isn’t it?”

"Yeah, we need to finish up," I respond and stare at the Ranger's red jeep pulling up to the edge of our driveway. His cold stare is constant.

We finish that night, and I take the truck's wheel while Lorelai follows behind in our station wagon with the kids. We stop at the Star Chevron to fill up, and I try to explain to Sasha why she'll love Boise.

“I just started making friends,” she pouts, “This doesn’t even make sense.”

“Sometimes we have to take a step back before we can move forward,” I offer. “You’ll make new friends. Here.” I give her a fiver. “Grab a slushie for dinner.”

She kisses my cheek and runs inside the market, cash in hand. Lorelai hands me Mikey as she follows our daughter.

"I know you did right by us," she grasps my hand as she passes, " I just hope you'll explain when you're ready."

"Thank you." I nod, "I will."

I hoist my son to my hip and watch her laugh as she helps Sasha pick a flavor. I turn to face the city of Star in the distance and wonder how fragile the flickering light of those homes is, how many folks like Jimmy are candles fighting against an ever-growing darkness. 

A sick feeling fills my stomach as I watch two crimson blooms open in the tall grass beyond the concrete, and I call for my family to finish things up.

The Ranger is not the only one watching us go. 

Its unsleeping gaze is ever-present, and two new eyes, one brown, one silvery blue, watch us drive away.   

June 07, 2022 00:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

07:41 Jun 11, 2022

Hi Glen, just got through all three parts of this. I think it's stunning. You captured that small-town feel perfectly, and everything felt so vivid, like I was watching a movie. I loved the slow-burn style. The various locals were portrayed brilliantly. All in all, an incredibly enjoyable read that never felt like it overstayed its welcome. The ending is interesting - it's great because it's a happy outcome for the MC and his family, and it stays true to the foreboding tone throughout. You could have gone so many ways with it, so I'm glad y...

Reply

Glen Gabel
12:00 Jun 11, 2022

Thank you so much, Shuvayon. It's so encouraging to hear your feedback. I wasn't sure if having to break up the story in three parts (due to Reedsy word limit) would be a deterrent. If you're ever interested in reading more of my work feel free to check out my site. www.glengabel.com. Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:49 Jun 07, 2022

… and that's part 3. Great story! Very fitting for the prompt. I like that we get some answers, but that they just lead to more questions. The drowning of Low Well wasn't the source of this thing after all, since they were tending it too. I also like the implication that they're not really placating it at all, but rather that it's just growing. Not much longer till it gets unmanageable. I was not expecting the family to make it out alive, or at least not in one piece, but maybe that would have drawn too much heat to the town. Either way...

Reply

Glen Gabel
01:29 Jun 08, 2022

Thanks so much for reading it all. So were you able to figure out the Cattlemen's cipher (i.e. hidden message) in the story? I left a few breadcrumbs. :)

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:37 Jun 08, 2022

Ha, I got wrapped up in the story and completely forgot about it. I figured the lines at the beginning held a deeper significance and meant to keep an eye out -- so it goes. I took another look now and yes, I believe I have it. "The deep one..." and I'll leave it at that in case of spoilers for others. I actually noticed the clues as I read, but it didn't occur to me what I was looking at, and I assumed it was a stylistic device. In any case, they blend in unobtrusively.

Reply

Glen Gabel
02:01 Jun 08, 2022

Awesome! I really wanted to add some kind of interactive element to the story...a metaphorical way for the thing to reach out and grab the reader. Glad you found it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
07:31 Jun 07, 2022

Brilliant. Good foreshadowing with the eyes. Very creepy. Good prose, dialogue also great. Well done! I agree with Jay, that this could totally be a film. Just for fun, (wouldn't fit the style at all, but) I'd like to see a version of this where he rescues Jimmy rambo style haha Maybe with a speedboat and a machete.😂

Reply

Glen Gabel
11:43 Jun 07, 2022

The first draft was a lot more like that, lol but it felt way over the top and campy so I toned it down and worked on the dread instead. My wife has named this "Little Lake of Horrors" and it fits. Lol. Thanks for checking it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jay McKenzie
07:02 Jun 07, 2022

Glen, this is so chilling and so good! The pace is perfect and the foreshadowing of the eyes magnificent. There's so much to love and no criticism. I can totally see this as a film. Bravo, sir!

Reply

Glen Gabel
11:52 Jun 07, 2022

Thanks Jay! I had a blast writing it. I was a little nervous having to break it up so much (Reedsy word limits grrrr) but I'm glad it didn't seem to affect the narrative. Thanks for checking it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.