2 comments

Urban Fantasy Speculative Contemporary

      Slinking through the darkening night, I watch as spirits dart from house to house, longing to be amongst those they love. Whispers float through the air, wondering who might next despair. Will it be the child who begged to be dressed as Chucky? Will it be the mother dressed in black, pushing her baby’s stroller as her other children run with their friends? Or will it be the grandfather that’s pulling pranks as though it might be his last time?

           Jumping onto the cold, stone ledge, my yellowish-green eyes blink and stare, waiting. Waiting for that one slip-up. That one mistake that ends up taking a life and releasing a soul.

           My tail swishes back and forth as I wait for Death to accompany me on the night of fright. He is misunderstood and although he may not say it, he does not enjoy taking souls, especially those who are still far too young. I take some of the burden by using my feline eyes to look for those whose time is up.

           The wind picks up as the whispers from the spirits grow louder, warning those who will listen that my friend is near. I patiently wait for his presence to appear as children pass by me, pointing, laughing, whispering. There are those that laugh at the irony of a black cat on a stone wall on Samhain, though they call it Halloween. And there are those will run in fear because of my sleek, black coat.

I am told that I am an omen, saying that I bring death near. I suppose they are right, but just as Death gets lonely, so do I.

Not much time passes by before a gentle hand caresses my head and down my spine. Knowing that Death is the one who is brave enough to touch me, I purr in delight. Tilting my head up to look at him, I am greeted by the familiar hooded figure towering over my small form.

Meowing my hello, Death chuckles, “Hello, old friend. It is again that time of year where the veil between worlds is the thinnest, I see. People may still fear you and I, but at least on this night, we are not as feared as we usually are. When the clock strikes twelve, we will both be seen as the villains once again. Let us take tonight to walk in this realm in our mortal forms, together, and not be shunned just for doing what we must.”

Petting my head one last time, Death walks off and down the street. I watch as children run around him without a single care in the world of what he is. Hoping off of the ledge that I once sat upon, I followed closely behind, knowing that throughout the night, many new spirits will join our side.

We walk in the cover of the night, lights stung on the houses illuminate our bodies as we walk past them. The whispers in the air meld with laughter and delightful screams. Little feet pound against the earth as children of all ages race against each other to get away from the tricks and to reach the treats.

In the distance, if you cared enough to pay attention, squealing tires sound against the asphalt, signaling there is one to take into the other side. Sharing a look with Death, we both know that our time enjoying ourselves amongst the mortals is up. The time to take the new soul to the next life is here. With the sounds of sirens filling the already loud air, we bid goodbye to the mirth and leave to reality.

Leaping into the waiting arms of Death, we became invisible to the human eye and we swiftly drifted with the wind to greet the awaiting spirit. When we reached the car that crashed, the healers humans call paramedics tried their best to save the teenage girls’ lives. The girl that was once driving joined Death and I. And not too long after, the girl that sat behind her, joined us as well.

We consoled them and let them cry. We took them to their families so that they could say goodbye. We waved them off as they faded to nothingness before we were signaled that another life has been taken and needs to be led to the other side.

Drifting from place to place, a night that is supposed to be filled with happiness and joy, was now filled with mourning. Wails and screams filled the increasingly suffocating air. Blood and tears drip onto the freezing ground.

Death was right in some parts when he greeted me earlier this night. I am his old friend for I am many centuries old. Samhain is when the veil between worlds is the thinnest. This night is when we aren’t as feared. But to many, they don’t wait for midnight to either one of us as the villain. To those who still live and find out that their loved one is dead, we aren’t doing our job and letting souls say goodbye, we are taking innocent lives like the cruel monsters that they make us out to be.

Many humans and animals may die on this hallowed night, but this hallowed night lets even the weakest say goodnight. Many may hate us and curse at us for doing what we must, but tonight is the only night we are able to walk amongst the mortals, even if it is for a little bit, and not be yelled at in anger and fear. Tonight we are able to be like a human and his faithful cat.

We might not get many nights like this but we take pride in making sure that souls that depart from their bodies, are ready to leave this plain, free of pain. We say hello to old friends and goodbye to new ones. We drift with the wind and try our best to deal with the sickening and suffocating air that is sugar coated with the laughter from the ones who are unaware. We are just beings doing what we must as we not only comfort new and old spirits, but each other as well on this soulfully, hallowed night.

October 23, 2021 19:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Dustin Gillham
20:28 Nov 04, 2021

I read this one twice Franchesca. Thank you for your submission. Great work. Keep writing.

Reply

01:43 Nov 05, 2021

Thank you very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.