0 comments

General

"I'm sorry ma'am I don't know anything but I think I might know who." A villager says with a scared face.

      "Who!" I said in a demanding tone my left hand grips my sword.

       "Grabnock the kind he has been prophesied to do greatness and I'm sure he knows something." The villager says a little scared. (okay a lot a scared)

      "For your sake you better hope it's true." I say viciously. With that I go to find Grabnock the kind. After asking many people finally I find him, he was getting robbed by another. I don't say anything until the man leaves undetected.

        "Are you Grabnock the kind?" I asked as I approach the dragon. He turns and looks down at me.

        "Yes, who's asking?" Grabnock asked he's cheeriness caught me off guard.

        "I'm Elena Tichelli, wood elf, I was told you could help me." He gives me a question look. "Almost four days ago my village and all my people were destroyed brutally killed while I was gone and I was told you might know who did it." I answer emotionless. Grabnock give me a sympathetic look.


        "I'm sorry I don't but," He looks me over, "I'll help you if you help me." Crossing my arms I glare my at him.

        "What do you mean?" I ask suspiciously. He smiles and leans down a bit.

       "People all my life have been telling me about a prophecy involving me but I don't know what it is. If you tag along and help me we can also look for those men since I hate people who think they can do what they want, plus" His smiles widens, "I'm Grabnock the KIND after all." I sigh.

        "Okay, where do we start?" He straightens up,

        "Right to business I like." He says light heartedly. Another man shows up the same man I saw that stole from Grabnock.

        "I found a few places that could help us with answers Grabnock." The man said as he looks at me.

        "Who are you?" He says in a nice voice that weird me out.

        "I'm..." I start but Grabnock speaks over me.

       "This is Elena Tichelli, a wood elf she's going to help with the prophecy and in return we will help her find the people who murdered her village." Grabnock says with a sad look in his eyes.

       "I'm Grygor Kuletnov, human I know everything about everything in this city." He says confidently as he gestures with his arms open. "And um helping him with the prophecy." He adds less energetic.

       "Okay so what places do you want to start?" Grabnock asked.  

       "There's chapels that could help like the church or death, sun, lig…" 

       "Death we're going to the church of death."I say quickly not letting him finish. They look at me sideways but then Grabnock nodded.

       "Okay." They start walking Grabnock and Grygor walked ahead of me until Grygor falls back and walks next to me.

       "Hey just wanted to let you know you don't get to make the rules I follow him not you" I snort.

       "Right that's why you stole from him right." I spoke in a soft tone. Grygor looks at me with slightly wide eyes then looks back at Grabnock.

       "Hey now you see….." I give a dry laugh giving him a slid glance,

       "As long as you don't steal from me or try to boss me around we'll get along fine." He nods fast and speeds up to walk with Grabnock. I smiles to myself.

       "The doors are shut what do we do?" We look at Grabnock who smile and rolls his shoulders.

       "We break it down." He says excitedly. I gasp and looks at them with big eyes since Grygor agrees with him. 

       "Are you serious!" I shout. They don't answer Grabnock just kicks down the door. Two monks who were cleaning stare in shock. A old monk comes out of a back door angry. 

       "What are you doing!" He shout anger was practically coming off of him. We were silent as he continued to shout.

       "You could have opened it OR knock." The monk shook in anger.

       "I'm sorry we just have some questions. I'm Grabnock the kind." He says calmly Grabnock looks back at the mess then back at the monk who sighs.

       "This way." He said still angry but even tone.

    "Excuses me." I say in my politess tone following in step with the sickly looking monk. "My name is Elena Tichelli I am from the village..." I start but he puts a hand up,

    "We have heard and I am sorry but they are not speaking we death temple can not talk to them." The monk goes silent as he leads us down a flight of stairs and into a room. The monk starts to talk once we get to bottom he was mainly speaking to Grabnock but no one was listening since Grygor and I was distracted by Grabnock who was play with the black candles. I shakes my head and Grygor just stared, we don't even notice the man was gone when he leaves. I see the map and go to look at it the two boys following suit.

        "What's that?" Grabnock asked no longer playing with the candles.

       "A map it seems." I open it.

       "It's a map but it's super outdated." Grygor says looking at the map. I looks that him.

       "Is it?" I look back at the map.  

       "Yup really outdated." Grabnock answer I looks at it hard other than my village and the areas surrounding it I haven't looked at others.

       "Hey why is that city so bold?" I point at a city on the map that was more detailed.

       "We have to go there that's where we'll find the answers." Grabnock says. He sound so sure so we agree to will go there. So we head back up the stairs but then the stairs open and Grabnock falls in.

       "What the????" I asked confused.

       "Yo, you okay?" Grygor asked holding in a laugh.

       "Yeah someone pull me up." Grabnock shouts up to us.

       "I can with my Thorn whip but it'll hurt a little bit." I said flicking my right wrist.  

       "That's fine just get me out." I use my Thorn whip to get him out it took a second since he was a heavy dragon we used one of the lights on the wall to pull him up as he used the walls to walk up. When he finally gets out we continue to leave up the stairs into the lobby of of the church.

      "Hey look the door is fix." Grabnock said with a surprised look on his face.

      "Let's open it to leave this time." I say sarcasm dripping in each word. They laugh a little and leave the church. We set to the gates of the town where Grygor talks the guy into letting us leave without charge.

      We walk down the path in silence as I play with my druid craft, Grygor looking over his shoulder every few seconds and Grabnock playing with his battle axe.

      "Would you put that away you are going to hurt yourself or worst me." I shouted at him. Grabnock pouts a little but then we hear a scream. With one look I see Grabnock eyes glitter with excitement and runs to where the scream was it gets louder with more screams from other people join in. We see a man, two women and a child were in danger colbolts were attacking them. One of the colbolts take off with the kid.

      "I got that one!" Grygor yells and goes after the colbolt with the kid, I groan.

      "Right cause we don't need help." I mumble irritated looking at the three colbolts left.

      "I got this!" Grabnock shout with confidence. But completely stumbles and misses the colbolts.

      "Right, you got this." I said rolling my eyes and fires my arrow hitting one dead center killing him then go and attack another one. Grabnock keeps fighting the one he had chopping his arm off but then gets his axe stuck in a tree branch as he works to delog it he getting hit by a colbolt. I focus on the other one who refuses to die.

       "Just die." I groan hitting him in the shoulder with my sword.

      "Next time you tell me to put my axe away I'm not listening." He yells at me.

      "Are you trying to blame your crappy fighting on me!" I shouts back in disbelief.

      "Yes!" He says swing at his opponent.

      "Ha, that's funny. Just admit it you suck." After saying that I kill my opponent.

      "See that two out of three."I shout confidently and turn after killing it.

      "Four." He say swing his axe.

      "What?" I shout dodging a swing from the last colbolt that Grabnock is still fighting.

      "There were four Grygor is chasing the other one." He says hitting the colbolt.

      "Oh. Whatever I still killed more." I said moving away so he could kill the colbolt.

     "Where is he?" Grabnock looks down the road where Grygor ran.

     "Look there he is." I said.

     "Yo, what's up." Grygor said as he approached us kids in arms.

     "This woman is scared more like hysterical. I killed two he killed one his pride is hurt I'm amazed we didn't die." I said in a even tone pointing to the women then Grabnock and lastly myself.

      "Let me try calming the lady." Grygor says moving to the women giving her the kid.

     "They took my baby, my baby, my baby."She kept saying hysterically. Grygor was able to calm her down as Grabnock talks with the man. He looks at us after talking to the man.

      "It seems another one was here and ran with her oldest child so I'm going to go scout the area for tracks."He said angrily. Without another word he leaves.

      "Seriously ugh we need to plan better."I shout after him annoyed.

      "It's fine but what now?" Grygor says calmly. They fall silent for a second them finally I planned something. 

      "I'm going to regret this." I mutter under my breath. "You take them into the town and I'm going to find the crazy dragon I'll leave a trail for you." He nods and starts to take the people back to town while I go find Grabnock.

     "Where is that dragon, how can you lose something so big?"I grumble very annoyed. I grind my teeth but then I spot him.

      "I can't believe you just left!" I shout at him throwing my arms in the air. Grabnock turns around and looks at me.

      "What did you hope I wait for a plan not on your life there's a kid out there scared and I must help him." He said in a serious tone. He turns back and look for the trail.

      "You must help him wow you just a amazing hero aren't you. Did you stop and think what would happen if you ran into danger." I spit out anger and annoyed but still have strong sarcasm laced in it. Grabnock stops looks back. 

      "No." I sighs in disbelief.

     "Wow you're Something. You know I'm a healer as well if you waited I would have, you know, healed you." Not getting the sarcasm Grabnock smiles.

     "Thanks." I shakes my head

     "Found you guys. So what's going on?" Grygor emerges from some bushes. Grabnock looks at him with a light smile. 

     "What happened to the family?" Grygor smiles proudly as he smiled. 

     "I took them to the church we stopped at they are now staying there and working."

      "The church we stopped at? You mean the church of death?" I asked shocked in disbelief. He nods I sighs but says nothing.

     "Okay so I followed the colbolt trail to here I seen him there." Grabnock points to over by the river. We look over and walk that way but Grygor runs ahead.  

     "Hey look a sword! Handles kind squishy! He shouts with joy. I look closer at the “handle”and my eyes pop.

     "Hey let's see if this fit that empty sword case of yours." Grabnock nods and passes him the empty case but it didn't fit.

    "Oh well." Grygor shrugs and Grabnock takes the case back. I try not to laugh as I call to him. 

     "Um Grygor….. that handle of yours well…… is a hand." Finally I let it out a laugh. Grygor looks down at the handle eyes widens to see a hand under his. He let's go and turns and starts throwing up. I continues to laugh while Grabnock holds Grygor's hair. As I laugh I see a tunnel almost cave like next the bank of the river. I go to look at it.

    "Hey where are you going!" Grabnock shouts after me. I wave my hand towards them but don't look back. I look into the hole it was small enough for me to fit but not the others. I crawl in and finds a small room.

    "That was a waste." I murmur as I walk around then I see another door. I walk into another room and see three more colbolts. I smirks,

    "I take it back!" I attacks the one closes with sword another comes at me, I barely dodges it. I hisses.

    "Dammit." I attacks again. "I don't get it why don't you use your claws?" Grygor asked in a irritated tone.

     "Because I don't want them to get dirty!" Grabnock says jokingly as he uses a shovel to widen the hole. Grygor groans.

     "Hey I'm not the one who got sick from a hand and started throwing up like crazy." Grabnock said with a chuckle. With the talk about the hand Grygor turns a little green. They get inside and hear a fight Grabnock drops his shovel and runs towards the sound forgetting about Grygor who trips over the shovel falling on Grabnock. Over by the door Elena looks back and sees them. She groans in irritation.

    "Would you two get your arses up!" She yells dodging another attack. The two men get up and go attack the other two colbolts. Grabnock goes and starts to attack with his axe as Grygor grazes the other with his sword. Elena blocks another attack. Grabnock goes to swing but misses and his great axe gets stuck in the ground.


(Elena pov)

    I several regret not waiting for the two idiots. I'm starting to run out of breath and stamina. I groan as my opponent comes at me with so much strength I can barely keep up. He hits me with the handle of the sword then swings it cutting my arm.


    "I'm cut up bruised and tired will you hurry up and die already!" I growled under my breath. I start to lose my footing and he hits me with enough force I scream in pain and see the world go black.


(3rd person)

    "Great our healer is unconscious!" Grabnock groans as he fights off his opponent looking at Elena.

    "HEALER, SHE'S A HEALER, THAT'S GREAT!" Grygor shouts angrily as he plunges his sword into his opponent killing it. Not being able to get his axe back from the ground Grabnock decides to fight with his bare claws and now has the a colbolt in a headlock while Grygor kills the one that knock Elena out. After killing that one he looks around.

    "What are you doing?" Grabnock shouts as he struggles with the colbolt in his arms. Grygor shrugs,

    "Looking." Still struggling with the last colbolt Grabnock arm tightens around its throat.

    "For what?

    "Um nothing in particular anything useful." Grygor says casually then looks over at Elena.

     "Hey look she has a healing potion." He says happily then goes over and take the potion out of her satchel and pours some in her mouth she coughs and takes deep and even breathes.

    "She'll be fine." He nods with satisfaction then looks at Grabnock.

    "Just kill him already." Grabnock shakes his head,

     "I want answers." Grabnock growls. Grygor looks at the poor thing.

    "Then you better ask soon." Grabnock looks at him weird then a snap was heard and the body went limp.

    "Or that would happen." Grabnock sighs then pushes the dead thing off of him and goes to his axes when he turns around he noticed Elena sitting up.

    "How you feeling?" He asked with concern. She looks at him rubbing her head.

October 24, 2019 00:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.