0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

FIVE YEARS AGO:

Work in a stone quarry is not easy: The sun will be beating down or rain may be pouring. There is no place to take shelter. Bare bodied workers work on heated rock. A large quantity of drinking water is needed which arrives by tanker. As work proceeds there Is some excitement as a snake is sighted. It is either killed or caught if Rigal is around. Rigal was not only an expert snake catcher but a loyal worker as well: He duly cooperated with those who had authority over him. His wages were high as he reported about laggards, about those wasting time chatting or resting too often or kept complaining about orders. There would be instigation about tea being bad or defective tools and these would be reported by Rigal. One night someone assaulted Rigal near his house. He was left half dead and had to give up working. The investigation of the assault was with police inspector Moses reputed to be a very competent policeman and more than that, known for being corruption free. In a few days he located the culprit Job who was a known troublemaker. The workers had had their vengeance against Rigal! Moses pursued the case which went to court. Job got a sentence of two years in prison. Once he was freed Job wasn’t the same any more. He approached Moses saying “Master, I’m sorry for what I had done. I had no job and was tempted when I was offered money to beat up Rigal. I’m sorry for what I’ve done. I’ll go straight hereafter if I get a job.”

Moses said “You were a jailbird. Find someone else to help you.”

Job went to Mercy – mother of Moses  -and sought help.  She being influential with the clergy managed to get ḥim a graveyard job. He was reconciled to the situation.

NOW:

Moses has been shifted to another police post.He was a bachelor and lived with his mother Mercy. She had fallen ill and Moses took her to hospital. Doctors checked her and after tests said “One of her kidneys is defective. It needs to be replaced. You must find a suitable donor to match her body. We’ll give you the requirements.”

Job wanted to help Mercy and persuaded his wife to be the donor. But tests showed her kidney would be incompatible. He reported it to Moses and said “I’m on the lookout also to find another donor”

Moses said “There’re one or two people who could donate but they want a lot of money which I don’t have. Keep looking.” Moses felt bad that he couldn’t raise a loan as he had no collateral.

Months passed and the situation didn’t change. Mercy with great difficulty kept the household going. Then came a change. Moses had been moved to airport security. He kept hoping and praying that a kidney would be available for his mother.

Suddenly one day he received a phone call. The wife of a VIP had summoned him! Obediently he went to meet her.

She said “Your meeting me must be kept confidential.”

Moses was silent. He knew he couldn’t agree to it.

She said “I want your help. Today is the 11th. A party is arriving on the 14th with a consignment of drugs the kind called narcotics. I’ll give you her arrival details later on. Clear?”

He nodded.

“The party is a female domestic help returning home. She needs your protection.”

“Madam, it’s the customs who check baggage of arrivals. Only if they complain I come into the picture.”

“Correct. You must speak to the customs staff and see that the woman is allowed in without checking. It’s a costly consignment and must not be lost by being seized. The woman must come out safely.”

Moses was silent. The lady said “Of course there is a reward in it for you. Your mother needs a kidney transplant. I know how much it will cost. You’ll get five times that amount. Think it over. You’ve time till tomorrow evening 5 to reply.”

Moses went home thinking about Madam VIP’s offer. After reaching home his mother showed him the message from one lady who had replied to him: ‘I’m willing to accept 500 less what I had quoted.” Moses sighed. He thought when so much money was flowing through so easily, am I not a fool remaining without taking bribes? Why should I not accepts madam VIP’s offer? Would it be risky? Thinking about his suffering mother who was bravely coping, he thought he should accept whatever the risks. It would be the first time he would be accepting a bribe. His mother now called him and he helped her into bed. He said within himself as he lay in bed “There is still time till tomorrow evening. I’ll wait.”

Next day afternoon Moses got a call from Job. He was saying “Master I’ve found a woman who is willing to donate her kidney. The woman supplies milk to children in the school run by our church. I took her this morning to a doctor along with the compatibility criteria. The doctor said this donation would be ideal. That woman will be giving her kidney to your mother for free.”

Moses at once started his jeep and picked up Job on the way. They reached the house of the milk supplier. The woman was at home and said "I've known Job for several years.  He attributes his reform to you and your mother. I’m perfectly willing to offer my kidney to your mother.”

Moses said “Thank you. It is just what I wanted.” As he took leave of her he said “I’ll consult the doctors at the hospital and tell you when you’ll be needed.”

On the way he said “Job, you’ve done a wonderful job. In the end I’ll reward you too.”

“Master I won’t take a penny for service to your mother. She has treated me like another son.”

Moses turned down madam VIP’s offer. The doctors said the transplant could be done on the 19th. But on the 18th Mercy suddenly passed away. At the funeral Job was the chief mourner shedding copious tears.  As the coffin was lowered and the crypt was closed Moses said a silent prayer “I only kneel to thank the Lord/For what I have not been.”

END

November 21, 2022 07:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.