Popzero becomes a real hero

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story about two strangers chatting while waiting for something.... view prompt

4 comments

General

Popzero emerged out of the pavilion a long time after the fanfare subdued, the crowd bustling away in hushed tones, and peace prevailed. The five-men traveling rock ensemble he is part of had vacated the venue fully. It was his hometown alright, but desiring a change, he decided to take the express train to Hamilton and visit his friend, Jojo, partly for the reason Jojo was part of the dissenters, the anti-war gang. Popzero had just started to feel accustomed to the pop-frenzy around but not yet hit the super-stardom, so he had the mobility to be among the public. He was a traveling artist and a stage-performer. 

Popzero popped open a can of soda, forgetting his sugar-detox and took a swallow down his throat. The foamy liquid helped his happy hormones back up, and he felt a zing. He needed the pep up, as he was tired from being part of all the work, right from organizing the concert, gathering the lineup, adding DJs, vendors, down to marketing, and, last but not least, performance at the event. The cab he rode on pulled up in front of the train station, and Popzero, emerging thereof, traipsed along the narrow pathway leading to the paved platforms.

The clear Azure Summer sky struck a stark contrast to the national mood, what with its ubiquitous solemn and sullen, sunken spirits, proved to be a major overhaul to the environmental benefit. Events like the concert provided a much-needed breather to the populace, a window of opportunity to exercise the little pleasures of existence, what had become a hitherto constant morose preoccupation with nothing else than the government and its plans. Yes, the Tropoist government proved to be a totalitarian regime of sorts. But looming second Civil War to overthrow the government dampened people's spirits furthermore. There were dissenters as well as powerful supporters to the war, the former being right-wing protagonists of Democracy, whereas the latter being a host of mega-rich ruthless capitalists who did not care an iota about the regime, as long as the government proved friendly to their welfare; and the government did just that. The states were divided along the two groups; some were pro-Tropoist, and some were anti. If the war happened, it would be among the divided states.

"Hell with the war! Hail the Captain, for we're one with the songbird!" bellowed Popzero, as he strode alongside the platform. "Ai-ai!" cried some of the passengers and passers-by waiting for the express. Captain referred to the Leader of the Tropoist regime, and the songbird was his emblem. Popzero's concert was to raise money for the dissenter's cause advocating peace and continuance of the Tropoist regime. Popzero was a good rockstar, his rock events were quite a hit, and he had started to have his impact and voice among the local masses in his town. That's when he decided to call himself 'Popzero', highlighting his vocal giftedness over the rocks he performed; he was a man of no formal musical training, but a true maestro who wrote and tuned his songs. With things going so well, he eyed super-stardom in a year's time-frame, without the war that is! With the war, no one could predict the aftermath.

Popzero flipped his hair that was blown frizzy by a shaft of dry air. He looked around and then chose a spot that seemed secluded enough, and straddled over his lone possession of a backpack. A cursory glance showed one lonely older man seated on the bench by the corner wall, beneath the stairs. Popzero sighed and took out his military-style men's jean jacket with a fashion retro-style gold eagle brooch pin with a chain tassel clipped to the left chest pocket. The pin had been an heirloom from his grandfather, a war veteran. As he turned around one more time, the older man lifted his hat in salute to Popzero. Popzero felt elated; there is no one in his town that did not know him. He checked the time, but the display by the stairs announced the express to Hamilton would be delayed. 

"Oh, what's with the train today?" groaned Popzero. Looking at the old man smile at him, Popzero relented, and he let out a smirk on his hardshell face at first, turning to a smile. The scrawny old man appeared spectral against the Whitish background, what with this pale yellow/cream pullover and equally pale skin. 

"Yo, diggity! I see you have been on the ball, my fella! I wish you tremendous success; you have a claim to fame! On with the war!" cried the old man. 

Popzero felt elated at the good wish, but yet let his mirth wane away, shrugging his shoulders, he replied in condescension, "Sorry, sir! We weren't so much into the war today! We were torn between the enormity of the war and the prospects for continued peace, and chose the latter! You keeping up with the gigs, eh sir?".

The old man looked surprised for a second. "Peters," he replied aloud. Then keeping quiet for a full two minutes, he suddenly erupted out, "Oh yes! It's a confusing situation, alright. But with the Head of the State joining the chorus, soon you will sing the song of glory!" said he, rather excitedly and continued, "A gig is no bid deal! A bad day for your ego is a great day for your soul and vice versa, someone famous once said."

Popzero nodded back in agreement. The Head of the State casual remark had reminded him of the governor Mr. Glen Otterbausch who had endorsed Popzero and his pop ensemble to a national magazine recently. Various heads of states took different stands when coming to the war; whereas the present governor was for the peace, the former governor and present-day senator was not. Popzero did not let the confusion get him, but the assertion of his gig not being a big deal confused him. He thought Peters was patronizing him.

"They keep coming, don't they? They come all over the place, the more, the merrier, it's all good, I tell ya!" finished the old man.

Popzero nodded again. Peters was right; he was indeed getting a lot of young crowd to his concerts. Through them, he had quite some reach onto the diverse groups of the country. 

"Are you a veteran, sir?" Popzero asked of the old man.

Peters started speaking again. "Oh, I was a ground ponder, back at my times, I fought many a war and been in the Vietnam war. Father was a sergeant back at World War II. I felt I had no choice in it initially. I fought against communism; I didn't care if I was fighting against the Flamingo dancers, as long as government got every right with me, I obey them!" he said in his profound slang.

Upon a moment's reflection, Popzero gathered that Peters was exclaiming aloud how he revered those government orders, especially their petition to the youth during the Second World war times, to serve the military.

Popzero felt an urge to change the course of conversation. He was far more self-indulging than anyone imagined. 

"Oh, the gig was too much exhaustive this time. I need a break,", cried Popzero.

Peters again fell silent for a little bit. "Oh, yes! I can imagine you are a hero! You will be even greater soon!" Peters replied charitably. 

"Speaking of gigs, " Peters muttered to himself and then said aloud, "At Vietnam, we were all brought in piecemeal as replacements for existing units, and we felt the disconnect. No geographical lines ever to separate us from the foe, trust no one! Ever humble peasants could be spies, you see! No area is fully free from enemies, gone one day, appear the next. Had to march through the jungle all day with 50-pound packs, it was quite some experience. Dozens of us died in one day, and yet, for minor offenses, we were reprimanded by the captains" Peters completed.

There was a pause, and Popzero wondered why the train is quite so delayed. He had quite some plans for the next concert; some quick decision-making was on the plate. Several other friends were gathering there too, and there were arrangements for locals to join later. There were some ongoing advertisements in the local news through papers; Popzero needed more people for the concerts and, firstly, for them to be against war.

Peters spoke again, "Going to Hamilton for the big meet? Advertised everywhere, didn't you? I salute your mission".

Popzero grimaced in wry amusement. "Yes sir, I do hope so with the continued support from all over! Quite a merry sight. We need much more of them, much more of them", he echoed back.

"Amp up on that profit, I say! I know so many who bought the farm, it's hard without them! More support, all the more profit on ya, my boy! I wish you well, comrade!" Peters said.

Popzero felt happy. Cheering brightly, he opened his backpack, took out a flier, and extended it to Peters. It had his photo and announced the next concert date. In large print, Popzero's bio and additional info regarding his rock ensemble were on the back. 

Peters studied it intently, almost with holy devotion at first. Then slowly, his expression changed. Shortly he fell into a grim and piercing silence. Popzero's subsequent chats with him did not seem to matter.

In sometime following, Popzero realized with a jolt, "a gig" in military terms meant a demerit or a penalty, the "big meet" Peters was referring to was the military meet supporting war that also happened at Hamilton which was largely advertised for, "bought the farm" meant death at war-front and "amp up on the profit" meant he was asking Popzero, presuming he was military, "to command more of the youth to join the cause of war, to get stronger and to stay alive".

Popzero felt slightly shattered that someone out there did not recognize him for who he was. Instead, he was showering his awe, presuming him to be someone else he was not. Upon some reflection, Popzero decided to give it a try attending the military meet.

July 06, 2020 19:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Deborah Angevin
09:47 Jul 09, 2020

I like the unique character name! And I thoroughly enjoyed reading the story. Would you mind to check my recent story out too? Thank you :)

Reply

10:54 Jul 09, 2020

Thanks Deborah. I would love to check out your story. Will do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
12:06 Jul 12, 2020

This is a really good story. The protagonist's name itself is so unique and fits in well! Good job;) Mind checking out my new story and giving your views on it? Thanks

Reply

05:25 Jul 13, 2020

Sure, I will do that, appreciate your reply! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.