Okay 🍎

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

26 comments

Drama Gay

There are characters from my story, "You've got the wrong girl" in this one. You might want to read that first. If you don't care, keep reading.

MAX'S POV:


“Max?” Lola says to me, poking my shoulder.

 I look up. “Yeah?”  

 Lola is my best friend. We’re at her house, and I just told her I have to go.  

 “Do you have a date?” She asks, trying not to smile.

 I blush, and she laughs. I do have a date. Finally. “It’s with my cousin's boyfriend's best friend.”

 “What?” She says, wrinkling her nose in confusion.

 “Laura’s boyfriend Hunter’s, best friend, Abe.”

Lola grins. “Have you met him before?” 

“Yeah, once, when we were younger.” I say. “But Laura gave him my number, and we’ve been texting for a while.”

She slaps my arm. “You’ve got to tell me these things, Max!”

“I just did!” I laugh, getting up. “But how’d you know?”

“You’ve been very distracted, and you keep looking at your phone.” 

“Oh.”

My name is Max Lonner. I'm in seventh grade. I live with my dad and brother. I have shaggy brown hair, and olive skin. I wear glasses I don't need, since Lola hates hers. Everyone knows I'm gay, but I haven't been on a date for two years.

She rolls her eyes. “I want to hear everything tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay, okay.” I grin, walking out of her bedroom.

I leave, waving to her mom and sister on the way out. I walk to my house, thinking about the date. He’s going to pick me up in a while, so I change into a plain white shirt, and jeans. I try to neaten my hair, but give up, and go downstairs.

I’m freaking out, and my dad tries to calm me down.

“But what if he doesn’t like me?” I ask, Doug and Duffel, our dogs running around my feet. My little brother, Micheal, is sleeping.

My dad shakes his head. “Son, If he didn’t like you, he wouldn’t ask you on a date.”

“Yeah, but what if-”

The doorbell rings. “It’s him!” I squeak, jumping in surprise. My glasses fall off, and I pick them up.

“Just don’t do that, and you’ll be fine.” My dad says, walking to open the door.

“Okay....” 

Abe looks better than he did three years ago. He’s more built, and his hair is longer, and twisted into dreadlocks. 

“Hey,” He says, smiling. 

I walk to the door, biting my lip. “Hey.”

“Nice to meet you,” My dad says. “Abe, is it?”

They talk, and my dad seems impressed by him. “Alright, I don’t want to hold you up.” He says finally.

I smile nervously, walking out the door with Abe. “See you later, Dad.”

We walk to his car quietly. I don’t know what to talk about. 

“How have you been?” I ask him.

He smiles. “I’m fine. You?”

“Okay…”

We’re quiet again as he starts driving. I think off the things we’ve talked about to start a conversation.

“How’s football?” I ask.

His eyes light up, and he talks about the team. After that it's not as awkward.

He tells me he hasn’t come out to his friends yet, but is planning to soon. He says he lives with his two best friends, Hunter and Duke, in an apartment since their parents finally let them.

Realizing I have nothing interesting about my life, I let him talk as he drives. I don't know where we’re going, but he said I’ll love it. We pull up in the parking lot of the apple orchard, and I almost hug him. Two years ago I told him I’ve always wanted to go on a date here, and I can’t believe he remembered.

“Thank you so much.” I say as we walk to the front.

He smiles. “No problem. I love apples.”

We spend the next hour picking apples. At some point, we start throwing leaves at each other, which somehow leads to him tickling me.

“Okay, okay! You win!” I laugh, trying to roll away from him. 

We get up, and walk hand in hand on the path, both of us holding a bag of apples. 

“Thanks for tonight.” I say. We’re sitting on the top of a hill, watching the sunset. 

He squeezes my hand. “I had a great time.”

“So...are we dating? Or..”

He smiles at me. “Only if you want to be.”

“Yeah, I’d like that.”

“Okay, then.”

                                                             🍎           

When we get back to his car, I check my phone. 

“Ten missed calls?” I say. All from Lola.

I glance at Abe. “Can I take this real quick?”

“Yeah, go ahead.” He says.

I press answer. “Lola?”

“Max, where are you?” She asks. “Why didn’t you answer?”

I blink. “I’m at the orchard with Abe. I left my phone in his car.”

“You need to get to the hospital. Now.”

“What happened?” I’m worried now.

“Your dad. There was a fire.”

I gasp. I guess Abe can hear too, because his eyes widen.

“I’ll be there in ten minutes.” 

Abe starts driving, and tries to calm me down. Lola said Micheal and the dogs are fine, and they are at her house with her sister. They don't know what started the fire, but they did get it put out, though it destroyed most of the house.

"Max, it'll be okay." Abe tells me. "We're almost there."

I nod, trying to hold back tears. "Yeah. Okay."

When we get to the hospital, we rush inside. Lola and her mom are waiting in the lobby, and come over when they see us.

“How is he?” I ask, worried. 

“He’s fine.” Lola says. 

I sigh in relief. “What happened?”

“He was trying to get your brother out of the house, but got burned at the front door.” Mrs. Plix says. “He’ll have to stay here for a while.”

I nod, and sit down in one of the chairs. It’s okay. He’s okay. Micheal’s okay. Everythings okay. We’ll be okay.

“Who’s this?” Lola asks, glancing at Abe.

My eyes widen. I forgot he was here. “This is Abe. My...boyfriend.”

Lola squeals loudly, and starts asking him a bunch of questions. Ms. Plix walks off to talk to the people at the front desk. 

Lola and Abe sit by me, and Abe slides his fingers through mine. Lola grins at that.

“You okay?” He asks. 

I nod. “Yeah. I’m okay.” 

                                                               🍎    

“Dad!” I say when we can finally see him. 

He grins, and sits up. Micheal’s with me, and he runs over, and throws himself in my dad's arms. Micheal is six, and looks just like me. 

“Hey, guys.” My dad answers. He sounds and looks tired, but is trying not to show it.

I sit next to him. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, Max. How was the date?” He asks.

I smile. “I have a boyfriend now.”

“Seriously? Good for you, bud.” 

He starts talking to Micheal about how he’s going to get to stay at Lola’s house for a while. 

I smile at them. We’re going to be okay.

🍎

October 09, 2020 17:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

12:18 Mar 08, 2021

incredible story, the humour is awesome, it's actually not connected to the first story I guess, but it was terrific! Lola and max are awesome characters! Happy today!

Reply

Ari Berri
15:08 Mar 08, 2021

Thank you! Happy today to you, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:44 May 16, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
16:19 Jun 16, 2023

I'm so glad you can relate, that's totally my whole reason to write this stuff. Thanks for the sweet words ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:03 Oct 26, 2020

Lola is the kind of friend you need, but also wished you didn’t 😅

Reply

Ari Berri
15:06 Oct 26, 2020

Yeah, she's based off my best friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Krey
22:16 Oct 20, 2020

I liked your story, it worked well with the prompt.

Reply

Ari Berri
22:37 Oct 20, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:15 Oct 24, 2020

Great story!! [Random: the apple emojis as scene break are so cute!!!!] Also, I read in your bio that you are a Hufflepuff and just wanted to say hi from another fellow Hufflepuff!✋🏼

Reply

Ari Berri
17:27 Oct 24, 2020

Thank you! And, hi. Nobody in my family reads Harry Potter, so I never have anyone to talk about it with.

Reply

17:32 Oct 24, 2020

I know the struggle!!

Reply

Ari Berri
17:52 Oct 24, 2020

They get annoyed when I talk about books. So do my friends.

Reply

18:06 Oct 24, 2020

I spam my brother and my best friend even though they have no idea what I am talking about lol.

Reply

Ari Berri
19:24 Oct 24, 2020

Same. My sisters kind enough to act like she cares. Do you like Percy Jackson, too?

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
16:57 Oct 25, 2020

Hufflepuff!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Sia S
16:57 Oct 25, 2020

Hufflepuff!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Shae Greyfeather
12:43 Oct 11, 2020

I looked through the stories to look for "not the girl your looking" but couldn't find one with that title

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
12:44 Oct 11, 2020

Meant "not the girl your looking for"

Reply

Ari Berri
13:39 Oct 11, 2020

Max is a boy. Sorry, I forgot I changed the name, it's You've got the wrong girl. Sorry!

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
14:29 Oct 11, 2020

Its okay

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.