66 comments

Science Fiction Speculative Fiction

The clothing I wore felt uncomfortable. My epidermal sensors kept notifying me that there was something unfamiliar covering the surface of my body. But without the clothing, the differences between myself and the humans around me would be even more obvious. The clothing would be interpreted by others as protection rather than as a disguise. They showed no sign of overt interest in me. To them, I was simply another human.


A street vendor offered me a mug of hot, steaming liquid. “Here's some hot tea. This should warm you up.”


“I – ah – thank you,” I said.


He watched as I took a sip.


Initial assessment: Temperature above 40ºC. Slow but constant change from liquid state to vapor state. Ingredients: the leaf-based drink the vendor called tea, as well as a fruit-based juice that gave it a slightly sour taste, and the alcohol humans refer to as brandy.


As I took another sip, my internal temperature rose very close to its upper limit before descending back to its normal level. I must be more careful next time.


“An interesting beverage,” I said.


The vendor gave me a puzzled look. “Haven't you ever had hot tea before? Even without alcohol in it?”


I shook my head and was tempted to tell him the truth, but instead I lied, “I come from a warmer climate. Cold tea is preferred there.”


I wasn't used to being untruthful, but I had observed that sometimes humans chose to be. However, in the future, I would have to be careful that this did not cause permanent faults and errors in the central programming area in my head. It was difficult enough to imitate being human, after all.


“Then why did you move here?” he asked.


“My work required it,” I lied.


The lying was getting easier for me. The vendor didn't seem to sense that I was being untruthful. He probably thought I was unemployed and therefore looking for paid work. His next query confirmed it.


“Are you working now?” he asked. “If not, I know a business that could use someone like you.”


“I am not employed,” I said, which was true. “Perhaps you could give me directions to that business?”


The vendor nodded. “It's several blocks from here, over on Spruce Street. It's called the Underground Theater. My brother Dominick owns it and produces plays there. Just tell him that Vincent referred you to him.”


A theater. A place where fictional stories were performed on stage. What could I possibly do there? I suppose I would have to wait until I arrived there and learned more about it.


“I will indeed,” I said, and drank the remainder of the hot liquid in the mug. There were no surprising reactions this time. I had taken precautionary measures. I handed the mug back to him. “Thank you.”


“You're welcome,” he said. “By the way, what's your name?”


“Andre,” I said, the first name that came to me.


“Good luck at the theater, Andre,” the vendor said.


I nodded, looked both ways, and ran across the street.


----------


Even though I did not travel as quickly as I actually could, it still did not take me long to reach Spruce Street. I changed directions and headed right. At the next intersection where Spruce Street crossed Front Street, I found the Underground Theater.


The theater was a two-story building slightly more than a hundred years old. It was mostly made of concrete and wood, except for the windows which were made of wood and glass. The theater stood between a financial business called a bank and a place that sold various kinds of bound sheets of paper with printed words on them called a book store.


The theater's entrance was below street-level. I descended a set of stairs. The windows in the front doors were dark. Perhaps it was not in operation. Only one way to know for certain. I knocked on the right-hand door. No answer. I knocked again, a little harder. Still no answer. I was about to knock a third time when the door opened a few inches.


“We're closed today,” a female voice told me. “Rehearsals. Come back next week.”


“Please do not go away,” I said. “I was sent here to speak with Dominick.”


“Sent by whom?” she asked.


“His brother Vincent,” I said.


“One moment,” she said and shut the door.


This was hardly the welcome I had expected. Surely Vincent had told his brother to expect me. But perhaps he felt that it was unnecessary to do so. In which case, I would have to explain everything to them. A highly inefficient method but unavoidable.


The door opened wider this time.


“Come on in,” the female voice said.


I did so.


The door was shut behind me. The area just inside the entrance was called a lobby. The walls were covered with paper advertisements that often included assortments of pictures and text. There was a counter opposite the entrance which seemed to be a place that sold somewhat nutritional items. Probably not to the employees who worked here, but to visitors who came here to see the performances. I did not see any stage yet, but perhaps that was elsewhere in the theater. Perhaps one of the two doorways, on either side of the counter, led to the stage.


A young woman walked around me until she was facing me. She was dressed in clothing more typical for agricultural laborers: something called overalls and on her feet, something called sandals.


“You're Andre?” she asked.


I nodded.


“I'm Lucy,” she said. “You must've been in quite a hurry because Vincent only called here just before you arrived.”


“Greetings, Lucy,” I said. “I am currently unemployed and looking for paid work. I hope I will find such work in this theater.”


She looked me over, a series of expressions on her face, and then shrugged. “I guess you'll do, Andre. Follow me.”


We entered the rightmost doorway, turned left, and walked up a ramp. When we reached the top of it, I noticed that we were roughly one-third of the distance between the stage and the rear wall of this area of the theater. This area was apparently called the audience. Thirty-four rows of seats filled most of it. There was a door on either side of the stage, on the audience's level. On the stage, there were people engaged in what I presumed to be a rehearsal, as Lucy called it. Otherwise, the stage was bare.


A man stood on the floor between the stage and the first row of seats. He seemed to be in charge and did not seem pleased with what was happening on-stage. He lifted his hands and waved them back and forth. “No, no, no! Romeo, you've missed your cue again. After Juliet speaks her line, you say your line. Now try it again or you're fired. Understood?”


Romeo and Juliet both nodded. The rehearsal resumed. The scene was acted without any problems that I was aware of. At least, the man in charge seemed to have no complaints this time.


Lucy led me to the man and introduced us. “Dominick, this is Andre. Andre, this is Dominick.”


Dominick looked me over even more carefully here than Lucy had in the lobby. “Do you have any acting experience?”


“I can pretend to be someone I am not,” I said, which was true.


“Good enough,” he said. “Do you know where the dressing room is?”


I shook my head. “I have never been in this theater before.”


“Lucy, show Andre where the dressing room is,” Dominick told her, then turned back to me and handed me a booklet. “I hope you're a quick study. You're playing Romeo.”


Romeo stared at Dominick. “You said you weren't going to fire either of us if we did the scene to your satisfaction.”


“You didn't,” Dominick told him. “Juliet did. You're fired, Romeo. Andre is taking your place.”


Romeo looked angry, headed toward the back of the stage, and disappeared from view.


“You didn't have to treat him that way, Dom,” Juliet told Dominick. “He was doing his best.”


“It wasn't good enough,” the latter said.


“And you think Andre will do any better?” she asked him.


“He can't do any worse,” Dominick said.


“Come on,” Lucy told me in a low voice and led me to the right-hand doorway. “His temper is always bad the week before a performance. You should've seen him the week before we performed 'Hamlet'.”


“Incandescent?” I asked.


“That's putting it mildly,” she said and opened the door.


----------


Romeo was changing out of his costume when we entered the dressing room. As he removed each article of clothing, he threw it aside. He didn't look at either of us.


Lucy sighed and picked up the discarded clothing. “Don't take it out on the clothes, Frank. It's not their fault.”


Apparently, Frank was the actor's real name, while Romeo was the character's name. Which meant that Juliet wasn't the actress' name. I wondered what her real name was.


“Are you taking Dom's side or mine?” he asked.


“Neither,” she said. “I have a job to do and I'd like to remain employed. I am sorry that you lost yours. I really am. Maybe you can find work at another theater.”


Frank sighed. “I just won't tell them I was fired. I'll tell them I didn't want a part in the play and wanted to act in something else instead. Who knows? They might even believe it.”


“Good luck,” Lucy told him.


He nodded, got dressed in his non-performance clothes, and left the dressing room.


“Does this happen frequently?” I asked Lucy.


“The switch in actors?” she replied.


I nodded.


“Depends on how foul a mood Dominick is in,” she said as she quickly searched the clothing racks for a costume that would fit me. “Maybe you'll last here even longer than Frank did.”


“How long was he here?” I asked.


“Over twenty years,” she said.


“Perhaps that will be beneficial when he applies for an acting job at another theater,” I said.


“Perhaps,” she said and found a costume that fit me. “This should do. It's only a rehearsal so it won't be what you'll wear during the actual performance. Hopefully, I'll be able to find something better by then.”


“Thank you for handling all this so well, Lucy,” I said.


She smiled briefly. “You're welcome. You're easier to deal with than Frank ever was. And definitely easier to deal with than Dominick is.” She paused and sighed. “Come on. Let's get you changed and get you on-stage. He's probably fuming at the delay.”


Lucy put one of the wigs on me and then checked to make sure my overall appearance was satisfactory. As she did so, I perused the scene in the booklet. The lines were easy enough to memorize. I had had far more difficult things to deal with where I had come from.


I could only hope that my former employers would not think to look for me in a theater. No doubt they would search places that an android would be more likely to be in. How many days would it take for them to try this theater as well? I tried to calculate the amount while Lucy led me onto the stage. Five days? Ten days? If only I had more accurate input data, but at this point, I could only guesstimate and hope that my result was overly conservative.


----------


The last rehearsal was the day before the first performance. It seemed to go rather well. In fact, Dominick looked very pleased.


He climbed up onto the stage and approached me. “For someone who'd never acted on-stage before, Andre, you did fairly well.”


“I have been known for being something of a chameleon,” I said, which was the truth.


“Just what you need when you're playing a role,” he said.


“Indeed,” I agreed. “Is there anything else you need me to do?”


He shook his head. “Be here tomorrow at least an hour before the performance starts.”


“I will do so,” I said.


Dominick gave me a slightly puzzled look then shrugged. “If this series of performances is successful, I might retain you for other plays.”


“Excellent,” I said. “I will do my best, then.”


He nodded, clapped me on the shoulder, and then went to speak with the other actors.


I looked out into the audience area. There was only one person sitting in it, mid-point in the first row of seats. It was Lucy. She gave me a smile and a thumbs-up gesture.


----------


Lucy and I decided to celebrate the first performance by having lunch earlier in the day. The place she chose was called The Checkerboard. Everything inside was patterned with checkerboards.


We sat at a table near a window.


“This is so exciting!” she said. “Aren't you excited, Andre?”


“I believe nervous is more accurate,” I said.


“Oh, you'll do fine,” Lucy said. “I've never seen Dominick so happy.”


I looked at her. “Does he know?”


She looked puzzled. “About what?”


“That you like him,” I said.


“Who says that I like him?” Lucy asked.


“I do,” I said. “And it is quite possible that he likes you in return.”


The waiter came and we ordered our drinks and meal. I was uncertain how I would mimic digestion without causing possible internal problems in my abdominal area. Perhaps I could simply explain that I was not hungry and enjoy my drink instead. The drink should be harmless enough.


Lucy looked down at her lap, arranging and rearranging her napkin. “He isn't the easiest person to deal with. But, like during this past week, it almost feels like heaven at the theater. He just glows. And I'm happy that he's so happy.”


“Perhaps you should tell him that,” I suggested.


“I don't know,” she said. “I don't want to ruin the relationship we have. He might only want something platonic, not anything romantic.”


As she spoke, I glanced out the window. A dark government vehicle drove past the restaurant. It was headed in the direction of the Underground Theater. It was followed by two more identical vehicles.


Lucy looked out the window then at me. “Is something wrong?”


I shook my head and faked a smile. “Perhaps after tonight's performance, you could tell Dominick how you feel about him. At least that way he will know. Then he can decide for himself what course of action to take next.”


She nodded. “Perhaps.”


The waiter returned with our food and drinks.


I raised my glass as I had seen humans sometimes do. “A toast.”


Lucy raised her glass. “To what or to whom?”


“To you, Lucy,” I said. “Thank you for all you have done not only for the theater but also for myself.”


She looked pleased. “That's what friends are for.”


We touched glasses and drank.


After a few minutes, though, she noticed I wasn't eating anything. “Aren't you hungry?” she asked.


I shook my head. I had lied enough over the past week. Nothing that interfered with my internal programming. But I wanted to be truthful now. With her.


“Lucy – I am not who I seem to be,” I said in a low voice.


She stared at me. “What does that mean?” she asked in an equally low voice. “Who would you be, then, if you aren't Andre?”


“I am not human,” I said. “I am an android. That is why I cannot eat. I also probably should not imbibe drinks, but I find that I like the flavors and how they make me feel.”


“You're kidding me, right?” she asked. “This is just a joke?”


I shook my head. “No joke. I am quite serious.”


“Then those government vehicles,” she said. “They're looking for you?”


I nodded. “I believe so, yes. Someone must have told them where to find me.”


“Then run away,” she suggested quickly. “Get away from this town. Hide somewhere.”


“And then they would just find me again,” I said. “It would only be perpetuating the inevitable.”


Lucy looked unhappy. “What will happen if they find you? Will they capture you and take you back with them? Wherever you came from?”


“Probably,” I said. “Unless they decide that it is safer to eliminate me. By tearing me apart into piles of metal, glass, and plastic.”


“You're just going to surrender to them, then?” she asked.


“What other option do I have?” I replied. “I have lived a lie this past week. A happy lie, true, but still a lie. I was not designed for lies. I was designed for the truth.”


“At least stay for the first performance,” Lucy pleaded. “I want to see you as Romeo.”


“And you will speak with Dominick afterward?” I asked.


She nodded. “But only if you stay.”


“I will stay, then,” I said.


----------


The performance of “Romeo and Juliet” went well. Quite well, in fact. We received a twenty-minute standing ovation. Something that had never happened before at the Underground Theater.


As the applause faded and the audience started to depart, I looked at the back row of seats. There was one woman standing there. She had short silver hair and wore a skirt-suit. I watched as she left her seat and walked toward the stage. When she reached the edge of the stage, she looked up at me.


“It's time to go, Andre,” she said.

February 26, 2021 02:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

66 comments

Rayhan Hidayat
00:54 Mar 01, 2021

Curious about everyone else’s take on this prompt. I love the overly-formal dialogue. And I love the multiple layers of “lies”—the actors, Andre pretending to be human, Lucy hiding her feelings, which all funnel into the climax. I just wish I got to see Andre actually performing on stage, and how the other actors and audience recieve him. It’s also interesting that there’s never a crack in his subterfuge; no one ever suspects him despite the way he talks, the fact he never eats, etc. He must be a damn good actor. Nice work! 😙

Reply

Philip Clayberg
16:58 Mar 01, 2021

I figured that, initially, an android who wasn't taught in a classroom how to speak English would have to learn by imitation (like people for whom English is a second language). It would be a bit stiff and stilted at first (and maybe sometimes mispronounced) until they improved enough to sound almost like a native speaker. For instance, my late stepfather sounded more American than I do (and he was born in Germany in 1928; he learned English from the US Armed Forces radio, not in a classroom). It *was* fun with the real vs. fake layers of...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
07:40 Mar 03, 2021

I can appreciate a long response. It's a symptom of being passionate about your story. ;) I thought there was gonna be some metal x flesh sexy stuff too for a second, so it's not just your mother! The silver-haired girl certainly stood out. I've never read an Asimov book and it's about time I do :P For name suggestions, we gotta go with something badass, yet elegant. Iris, Winona, Flannery, Elesa, Shelly, Serena, Nessa, Candice, Whitney. Just spitballing :P I live on the other side of the planet so I'm definitely googling the theatre. It ...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
14:56 Mar 03, 2021

I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember the days of BBSes (Bulletin Board Systems), but some of them had settings. One setting allowed you to choose anything from a little verboseness all the way up to very verbose. I tended to be on the very verbose side. And the longer I don't talk in-person with people or "talk" via messages, the more thoughts and feelings get bottled up inside, and the need to express them can get very strong. Sometimes too strong. It's *possible* that the relationship-to-be between Lucy and Dominick falls apa...

Reply

Tessa Takzikab
21:54 Mar 04, 2021

Sorry to cut in... I was going to ask about the silver haired lady knowing his self assigned name, but it occurred to me that it's probably in the program. Unless those things don't exist in real life, my only experience being in theaters has been school plays. And touring Ford's Theater in DC, but that's really a museum so it doesn't count.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
23:29 Mar 04, 2021

No apology needed. My guess is that either Dominick or someone in the acting group told her, or they had printed programs to hand out to the audience members (and somewhere in the printed program is a list of each actor and the part they played). I haven't written the sequel to "To Be Or Not To Be" yet (my tentative title for the sequel is "A Rose By Any Other Name"; not really meant to be a reference to "Romeo and Juliet"). It might explain some of the things that were unclear and/or unexplained in the first story. But I like Steven Mof...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Annette Lovewind
00:19 Mar 14, 2021

This was really good! An interesting take but a very good one. Excellent work!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
01:14 Mar 14, 2021

Very happy that you liked it. I'm still planning to add at least one sequel to it but haven't found a story prompt that's heading in the direction I'm thinking of going in. I can see the next scene (the one at the start of the next story) in my head, but I don't want to type it up prematurely. So I'm going to be patient and wait (even though I wish I didn't have to). There is also the potential for a prequel (how did Andre the android end up in that town; what was he trying to leave behind and hide from; why do the US government people w...

Reply

Annette Lovewind
14:47 Mar 14, 2021

It has my real last name embedded into it but yes it is made up. Annette is also not my first name. I'll be looking forward to your sequel since I really liked this story. Keep up the good work!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
16:31 Mar 14, 2021

Oh. I thought at least the first name was your real first name. It doesn't seem to be a common name for girls. The only real Annette I know of is my ex-sister-in-law (or as they say it in Alabama (where she's from): uh-NAY-yet). ----- I've had an alias that I've used off and on since 1988 (back in the days of BBSes; I'm showing my age, I guess; I was 21 back then): Felimid. I chose it because I wanted a name that sounded like Philip and when someone said "Felimid", I would answer to it. About 10 years later, I discovered that Felim ...

Reply

Annette Lovewind
16:42 Mar 14, 2021

Ah well, I hope that you can find a story prompt suitable for your stories. It sounds like you had put in some effort for your pen name, I just found mine through an online generator. I feel the writing things down, although I am a teen, I used to write down story ideas and write some of them down when I was in elementary. I like how you plan ahead, I have a really bad habit of winging everything although some of my best stories came from it. Your stories sound fun and Ill read some more when I have the time. Really big snowfall and I need t...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:28 Mar 14, 2021

I've used online name generators sometimes (usually for MMORPG characters). But when it comes to short stories, I either try to think of a good enough name or I search (via Google) for a name that comes from the country that character is from. In the case of "Two Sides of the Street", Devon is Irish (it means "poet", which is what he is). Niamh means "bright", I think, and is Northern Irish. Gallagher means ruddy or red, which fits with the red hair prevalent in Niamh's family. I'm not sure what O'Sullivan means but I chose it because i...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:40 Mar 07, 2021

Hey, so I got some good news. I finally got a part 3 out for "OtherWorldly Repairs" and I'd love for you to check it out and leave some feedback on it ^^ It's called "Cora's old life"

Reply

Philip Clayberg
17:14 Mar 07, 2021

I'm glad to hear it. I'm about to have some Little Caesar's pretzel-crust pizza for lunch. But I'll try to read the story after lunch. At least this time I'm being asked to read a story that I'm looking forward to reading (and will likely enjoy reading).

Reply

B. W.
17:58 Mar 07, 2021

Alright then, thanks ^^ I was kind of wanting to continue part 3 of the series on where part 2 left off, but the prompts weren't good enough for that one, so I just decided to do a backstory type thing for one of them.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:11 Mar 07, 2021

I have the same problem with my stories (the ones that are two or more stories in length; as well as the ones that are still waiting for their first sequel). I've waited sometimes up to 2 months for a story prompt that was usable. It's hard to be that patient, but either I ignore the prompts and write completely on my own, or I have to wait. I just hope I don't have to wait 3 or more months to continue some stories (like "Conflict of Interest"; I've tried to add a sequel to it but it didn't seem to go anywhere interesting). At least the ...

Reply

B. W.
19:47 Mar 07, 2021

When the other prompts were out a while ago, I was kind of considering of doing that one prompt about the water god/spirit and it would still be a part of OtherWorldly Repairs. But I didn't really like that idea for too long and I didn't even know how I would be able to continue it with that prompt, so I just decided to wait for a little while longer.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:53 Mar 07, 2021

I tried doing the sea gods/spirits one, thinking it could be part of the series that began with "Submarine Academy", but it didn't go much of anywhere. So I wrote "Evacuation Order" instead (which is currently #3 in that series). I thought about doing the one about someone rising above the water and eventually looking at the stars, but that idea didn't go far enough, so I gave up on it. And now I have the pandemic-related prompts to choose from: I wrote a standalone story ("Escape from Confinement") for one prompt, but that's it for now....

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Natalie Dafoe
16:15 Mar 02, 2021

First thing is that I cannot fully reciprocate the in-depth comment you left for me, for two reasons. A) I am no grammar expert and B) I don't see any clunky or awkward sentences. But I can add my thoughts. The interactions between Andre and others did feel clunky or awkward, but reading other comments I believe you intended this as he isn't really a natural speaker. So excellent job on that, it felt authentic in its awkward dialogue (if that makes sense.) I do believe that Andre confessed his true Nature to Lucy rather quickly, but again...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
17:01 Mar 02, 2021

First of all: Thank you for reading my story. I really appreciate it. I'm not much of a grammar expert myself (my mother, however, really knows her English grammar ... and French grammar and German grammar, too; she has a one-person translating business and translates documents from French and German into English; sadly, there is very little work these days). But I try to "listen" to what is being written and what the characters say. Does it feel consistent or are there times when something jars and it needs to be fixed? I wanted Andre...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:21 Mar 02, 2021

Heya there, how have you been?

Reply

Philip Clayberg
15:48 Mar 02, 2021

Nice to hear from you again. Boy, when you go under-the-radar, you do it even better than I do. Like elevators and roller coasters, I've had my ups and downs. Still not sleeping well (I don't think we modern humans are set up to sleep like cats and dogs often do (in naps instead of a full night's sleep). Lower left leg and left ankle unhappy about the return of the cold weather (just when I was hoping for some Springtime weather finally); they hurt more when it's cold than when it's warm. I finally managed to write a sequel to "Aquatic ...

Reply

B. W.
17:23 Mar 02, 2021

Oh gosh sorry about not talking to you for a while, I got busy doing some other stuff and I kept forgetting to do it. Well I've actually had Writers Block for the past few months, the last story I managed to write was somewhere in December. Though I finally managed to make a story last night ^^ and I'm going to try and make more later, especially with parts for OtherWorldly Repairs and my Demi-god spin off series.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
18:21 Mar 02, 2021

No apology needed. I just figured I'd wait until you weren't so busy and you'd be ready to "talk" again. Sorry to hear about your writer's block. I've had what I call "creative droughts" that would sometimes last a year or more. What takes the longest is just waiting and waiting and waiting for a story prompt that finally inspires me to write a sequel. I did go through a week or week and a half sometimes without writing any story at all (or, at least, a story I didn't think was good enough to submit to this website). I would make an at...

Reply

B. W.
18:49 Mar 02, 2021

Music usually helps me think of ideas for stories and other things and like that, and it's finally working for me again ^^ I'm really going to try and continue OtherWorldly Repairs soon, if I find a good enough prompt. I have multiple ideas for what could happen, and I do think that at some point I'll even do that little storyline of Cora getting sent to prison, though I'm not entirely sure, but it would still be pretty fun to try and do.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:05 Mar 02, 2021

An excellent idea. I've done it sometimes too. I'll try to pick a piece of music (preferably one of 40+ minutes length and no singing; just instrumental music) that hopefully will set a mood conducive to what I'm trying to write about. Since I have plenty to choose from, the hard part is finding the one that fits the best. If you listen to music at YouTube, I can recommend some musicians whose music can be really good as background/inspirational music: Robert Rich (especially his longer pieces, "Somnium", "Perpetuum", etc.), Steve Roach...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
22:07 Feb 26, 2021

Phillip, I enjoyed the idea of the android working to fit in with others who are also assuming false identities. Since Romeo and Juliet play young teens, the idea Frank had been an actor at the theater for 20 years seems a stretch. And after 20 years, perhaps the history Frank and Dom share could be developed. The stilted language Andre uses fits the persona of the android for whom English is a second language. Good stuff.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
23:23 Feb 26, 2021

The characters are teens ... but the actors playing them aren't necessarily teens themselves. In the 1968 movie version of "Romeo and Juliet", both actors *were* teens. But if you see the play on-stage (either in-person or on TV), the actors are usually at least in their 20s or maybe early 30s. So "twenty years" is probably a stretch, but it's also possible that whoever said it in my story (Frank or Dom) might be exaggerating. What *feels* like twenty years to them might sometimes actually be more like, maybe, 5 or 10 years (or even less...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
14:18 Feb 26, 2021

Oh, wonderful story, Philip! Really enjoyed reading it as always. The idea of this robot being in the world and going into THEATER was something that I honestly never thought about, and I think you did it very well! Completely different from MY story, but works just the same. Ok, here we go with the edits. Ingredients: the leaf-based drink the vendor called tea, as well as a fruit-based juice that gave it a slightly sour taste, and the alcohol humans called brandy. (Maybe instead of saying 'called' again and again you switch it to someth...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
15:33 Feb 26, 2021

I think my inspirations for the story came from at least two sources: Tanith Lee's book, "The Silver Metal Lover" and Isaac Asimov's collection of robot stories, "I, Robot". The lady in the audience at the end of the story was inspired by Isaac Asimov's character, Dr. Susan Calvin. And, of course, the usual inspirations from my own life. I know what it's like not to fit and that it's nice not having to stick out like a sore thumb all the time. The overall story's working title is "Misfit" (though that might change whenever I finish the ...

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:43 Feb 26, 2021

Yes! No problem, I just wanted to kinda nudge you in the right direction, glad they helped! And that's a really interesting thing to get a story idea from! And knock on wood, you get a prompt!! :)

Reply

Philip Clayberg
18:44 Feb 26, 2021

I just wish there was a way to fix the clunk scene (after Frank/Romeo gets fired by Dominick): Frank/Romeo angrily leaves the stage and goes downstairs to the dressing room. You're right that it needs to be fixed, but I can't figure out how to fix it. If you get any ideas before midnight (when this week's contest ends), feel free to toss them my direction and I'll do what I can with them. Btw, today's new set of prompts actually are making me think about adding a sequel to "Aquatic Ambassador", since that takes place in the ocean. It's ...

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:55 Feb 26, 2021

I think that would be cool! (the sequel ideas, that is!) I would read them!! :) Ok, for an idea maybe try and make it seem as if Dominick was already gonna fire Frank/Romeo, but the incentive of Andre the android bring it closer??

Reply

Philip Clayberg
23:09 Feb 26, 2021

Ditto. That's what I was thinking. If Andre hadn't been there, it probably would've taken longer, but Dominick probably still would've fired Frank/Romeo in the end and replaced him with someone that Dominick thought was a better actor. But how to say it better than I did? Hmm... Need to brainstorm some more on this. I spent most of the afternoon napping in bed, so I confess that I haven't done much brainstorming today (beyond what I've told you about possible ideas for sequels). I'm going to have dinner (chili-and-rice) once I finish ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Clayberg
01:42 Feb 28, 2021

I just submitted my next short story, "Evacuation Order" (it's the sequel to "Aquatic Ambassador"). I did a little editing of it and -- would you believe it? -- it's already had its first like. I'm really not used to being this popular. Hope you like reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.