0 comments

Drama Funny

“Terry will be wearing an orange top. You can’t miss it!” She texted with a wicked smile as she stepped out of her car.

Amara walked into the meetup as she usually does on Sunday, then dropped her jaw like it usually doesn’t.

In front of her sat Barbara in her 5’2 infamy. Barbara was a nosy coworker who had a habit of popping up in places that Amara really wished she wouldn’t. Today, Barb had found her way to the local pizza that her group was meeting.

A series of questions raced through her mind but “why” was the one that stuck out the most. 

Amara wouldn’t have time to contemplate on “why” because at that moment Barbara looked up. 

The two women stared at each other, unsure of how to act. 

Amara knew Barbara to be loud and jovial and always looking for a way to be included in a conversation. This was normally the time Barb lit up and started asking questions but at this moment she stared back like a deer in headlights. 

“What are you-” Amara and Barbaras started simultaneously.

“This is my-” They attempted again in unison. 

Barbara looked frustrated and, for the first time in the years Amara had known her, covered her mouth to allow Amara to speak first.

“How are you here, Barb?” Amara whispered angrily

“I drove here, dear.” Barbara responded defensively. 

“You know what I mean!”  

“Do you two know each other?” Another voice said.

The two women turned their heads and saw Collin, flanked by Damien.

Amara reeled back as she tried to understand what’s going on. 

Collin was the head of Skins, a local group that Amara was a regular member. Damien, on the other hand, was one of the Moderators of Knots, a group that she had checked out years ago but never returned.

Things were starting to click into place. 

“Actually-” Amara started.

“-Not at all. This is the first time we met.” Barbara cut in.

Amara looked over at her, who returned her gaze with a pleading look. 

“That’s great!” Replied Damien cheerfully. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to take time to explain our group.”

“Excuse us a moment. I need to ask Collin about something.” Amara said as she gently grabbed his arm and led him away.

“Collin. What’s up, why are the Knots members here?” Amara asked after they rounded a corner and were out of sight of the others. 

Collin gave her a look of confusion. “Didn’t you get the email? Some of the major restaurants groups normally meetup at have started requiring unbelievably high down payments so spaces are limited. The Mods started talking with the Knots leadership and we agreed to try doubling up on spaces for a few months, at least until it's warm enough to have meetups outside again.”

Amara mentally kicked herself for not checking her emails recently. 

“OK, fine, but Knots? Why that group? They’re all... old people.”   

Collin, a politician to the end, chuckled nervously and looked around. “Hey, I know. But what else can we do, fight for spaces?

“Listen, just put up with it for a little while and maybe things will change before winter is over. Besides, it looks like you already know someone.”

“Who? Bar- that lady?” Amara corrected herself mid sentence. “I’ve only met that woman today.”

Collin gave her an appraising look but didn’t pursue the subject. “Then maybe you can keep chatting with her, take this opportunity to get to know some of the other groups?” 

Amara nearly rolled her eyes but stopped, a devious thought entered her head.

“Sure, how about I talk to that woman from earlier. Barbara was her name?”

“I don’t think I mentioned it.” 

“She must have told me herself.” Amara said as she walked back.

When she returned she saw Barbara, still sitting in the same place fidgeting with her phone.

“Hi there!” Amara said cheerfully, holding out her hand. “My name is Mara and I’m a member of Skins.”

Barbara eyes the hand suspiciously but takes it. “It’s... nice to meet you.” She replied gingerly.

“My name is... Barbed.” 

“Did you say Barb?”

“No, I said ‘Barbed’.” Barbara corrected reproachfully “Like barbed wire.” 

Amara wondered by her coworker was being so secretive until she noticed that the noise level of the room was increasing. Members from both groups had begun to fill the room, which meant that talking privately would soon be a forgone luxury. She was beginning to understand why ‘Barbed’ was starting to look nervous. She didn’t want anyone to know her here.

“Of course. Why don’t you tell me about yourself.”

Amara spotted Barbara’s hesitation and wondered if it’s because she didn’t want to give anything away or was simply not used to people probing into her life. Probably the latter.

“I’m just here to have some fun and explore new ideas.” Barbara replied vaguely. 

“Hey all, what’s going on here?” Damien said as he materialized from the growing crowd. 

“It’s Mara, right? Collin has a lot to say about you. Why don’t you talk about yourself.”

Amara stuttered. “Well... I guess I’ve been coming to Skins for a few years now.”

She looked at Barbara who had been watching her with the same apprehension then looked to Damien who still beamed a look of overwhelming interest.  

Amara continued uneasily. “I guess I’ve just been really interested in the life style, it’s really something else. Don’t you agree, Barbed?” She said with extra emphasis on the last syllable. 

“You know what?” Barbara shot up suddenly. “I think I’m going to talk to the other people. Damien, would you help introduce me? I’m feeling a little shy with these youngsters.”

Barbara left in a hurry with Damien in tow and Amara blew a sigh of relief and chatted with her friends. After an hour a vibration emanated from her purse and she pulled it out to check who had messaged her. From her lockscreen, she saw Andrews text and she let out a laugh.

August 28, 2020 13:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.