2 comments

Holiday

 Ida Termagant couldn’t believe how unlucky she was. She’d cried herself to sleep on an antique sofa at her grandmother’s house cradling a copy of The Great Gatsby. She was all gussied up in vintage vestments but had nowhere to go. Her boyfriend Tommy had called just before midnight to bail on her, so Ida never made it to his retro themed New Year’s Eve party. Possibly the worst timing for a breakup (aside from someone’s birthday).


Ida was woken by a ring of the doorbell. She wiped away smeared mascara with a tissue and descended the heritage home’s colonial staircase. When she opened the door, Ida was greeted cheerily by three other young people who were also dressed to the nines. A blonde blue-eyed male introduced himself as Denny Spicer and his Latina girlfriend–Rosa-Linda Stellar–pecked Ida’s cheek. Their African American companion was a stylish ‘sheik’ named Chester Boone who politely waved hello.


“Happy New Year! We heard that a certain Miss Termagant had moved into the neighbourhood,” Denny explained, doffing his trilby. “Consider us the unofficial welcoming committee of North Eggburg!”


“Delighted to meet you. My name is Ida Termagant. Sadly, I’m not prepared to entertain house guests right now.”


“That’s okay,” Chester reassured her. “We want to invite you out for a night on the town. If you’re not busy that is. You do look like you’re ready to enjoy the holiday weekend and it’s only Thursday evening.”


“Yes, well then there’s no sense in me turning down such a thoughtful invitation is there? Let me just grab my moire handbag from inside and freshen up. I’ll join you all in two shakes of a lamb’s tail!”


Everything was happening a little too fast for Ida to reflect on the situation but she was definitely thrown for a loop. Glancing out the window she could see the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost in which the others had arrived parked on the street. If this was a cosplay scenario then it was most elaborate indeed. Plus what or where the heck was North Eggburg? Last time she checked, her grandmother’s house was located in Upstate New York. Unfortunately the old timer was no longer alive to answer her questions and Ida’s parents were currently off vacationing in Cabo. Even worse, Ida couldn’t find her smartphone anywhere either.


No matter, she thought while adjusting her black feather headband in front of a mirror. Better to go with the flow and play this whole thing by ear...


Outside, Denny and Rosa-Linda were already in the driver and passenger seat (respectively). Chester held open the little shutter door to the back seats for Ida, and he got in after she did.


“So, where are we going?” Ida asked.


“I figured we could start by taking in one of the pictures over at the Ophiuchus Theatre,” Denny responded as they drove away. “They show nothing but the best.”


“I’ve never been,” Ida admitted, “but it sounds swell. By the way, your car is the bee’s knees!”


“Thanks,” Denny replied. “I used to drive a Tin Lizzy, but my father imported this auto from England.”

The feature playing at the Ophiuchus was a silent black & white film titled Broken Blossoms; starring Lillian Gish and Richard Barthelmess. On a balcony an Asian girl gracefully played the piano accompaniment. This film’s story was riveting but tragic. Stifled sobs were heard throughout the theatre and when the motion picture ended it was given a standing ovation by the audience.


Back outside, the four friends stood around to take a smoke break. Chester offered Ida a cigarette from a silver case but she declined it.


“I do have some Cuban cigarillos if you prefer,” Rosa-Linda offered.


“Sure, I’ll take one of those,” Ida answered. “Is that where you’re from Rosa?”


“Heavens no. I was born in Utah. Although that was still part of Mexico less than a century ago. Anyhow, what did you think of Broken Blossoms? I personally can’t imagine not being allowed to love whomsoever I please. Hopefully now that we gals have the right to vote we can help change society for the better and gain a good measure of equality.”


“I’m right there with you on that,” Ida agreed. “And may I just say that I’m impressed by how progressive this whole town seems to be.”


“Yes well, we like to think of North Eggburg as an oasis set apart from all the ugly prejudices that have come to plague our great nation,” Denny divulged.


“Very cosmopolitan,” Ida acknowledged. “Where will we go next?”


“There’s a speakeasy across the way here,” Chester said, taking a trumpet case from the car’s trunk.


The speakeasy was actually a jazz club called The Nighthawk. Denny and Rosa-Linda joined many more couples on the dance floor in performing the Foxtrot. Chester went on stage and backed the band – he was an exceptional trumpeter whose sonic solos were met with acclaim. Meanwhile, Ida knew the steps of the Charleston and Lindy Hop since she had learned them at an early age from grandma Termagant. Because both these dances happened to be ahead of their time, they caught on like wildfire!


Ida received lots of compliments from men who referred to her as either a ‘sheba’ or ‘bearcat’, whereas several ladies inquired about her chic attire. Some wondered if it was the latest fashion from France? Ida was an instant sensation for sure. A few gentlemen lined up to dance with her but Chester came down from the stage and cut in line. Together the two of them danced up a storm with their happy feet. Everyone else followed suit.


Alcoholic drinks flowed freely from the bar to the partying patrons. The whole scene was nothing short of a grand old time. Which is also why it didn’t escape the attention of Prohibition era enforcers. Sirens blared and whistles blew as the police closed in.


“It’s the coppers,” Denny informed them. “Ida – you and Chester go ahead out the rear exit. I should be able to talk my way out of this. We’ll catch up with you later on in Satyr Park.”


They did as instructed and were fortunate enough to evade the raid. A majestic oak tree stood in the centre of that suburban wood. The wind rustled through its leaves and Ida regretted her lack of sleeves. However, Chester draped his coat over her. Their eyes met with great intensity and then they kissed under the sky’s starry immensity.


If this is a dream, Ida thought through love’s pleasure unmistaken, I wish never to awaken!


The End?


December 31, 2019 23:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Noel Thomas
03:57 Jan 09, 2020

Such a fun story! I love this era and you did a great job capturing the times with little details and the vocabulary! Keep writing!

Reply

Obsidian Eagle
19:01 Jan 20, 2020

Thanks! I'm happy that you enjoyed it. You may also want to take a gander at my latest entry (although it's very different from this story): https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/24/submissions/6700/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.