0 comments

Crime Fiction Suspense


‘Hey Alex, I got us some more firewood.’ Persephone opened the door and dragged a bag in from the snow buried porch. ‘What have you done Alex? I told you not to move.’

‘Ah, you are back.’ Alex woke up to the sound of Persephone’s voice, still lying on the floor next to the bed. ‘I uh, never mind. Help me get back in the bed.’

‘Of course.’ Persephone dropped the bag and came to Alex’s aid.

Alex suddenly grabbed Persephone’s arm, ‘Who are you, hm?’

‘What do you mean? I’m Persephone, your friend. Did you have a concussion?’ Persephone tried to examine Alex’s head.

‘No, don’t. Don’t fucking touch me. No!’ Alex slapped her hand away. ‘You are not touching me until you tell me who you are.’

‘Alright, alright! What’s this all about? I’m confused.’

‘No, don’t try to bullshit me, you are far from confused. I discovered your little secret cache, full of passports under different names, weapons and currencies. You are not a hiker, are you?’

‘No.’

‘I thought so, who the hell hike in the dead of the winter, in the middle of nowhere, alone and just happened to find me in the bear trap?’

‘You are right, I’m not a hiker. And leave that gun alone, there’s no ammunition in it.’ She looked down and walked toward the bag of wood.

Alex took out the gun he was concealing and checked the mag, looking devastated. ‘What are you doing?’

‘Relax, trying to start a fire, is all. You are freezing.’

‘Don’t try to change the subject. Tell me who you are! Christ, is your name even Persephone?’

‘No, it’s not. You are right again. What else can I tell you?’ She starts piling the pieces of wood in the fireplace and crumpling up some old sheets of newspapers.

‘No, no. You told me you are not a hiker but didn’t tell me who you are. Who do you work for?’

‘I’m a freelancer.’

‘Freelancing what?’

‘I think you know. Why ask me?’

‘I want to hear it from you. Are you here to kill me?’

‘…’ She said nothing and started striking the fire steel.

‘Oh my God, you are. You are a killer.’ Alex starts to shake. ‘Jesus, I am finished. But why didn’t you kill me? Or just leave me to die in the bear trap?’

‘That is a good question. I ask myself sometimes.’ Persephone started the fire and gently blowing air towards it.

‘This, this does not make any sense. Are you the one that killed my family?’ Alex shouted. ‘Answer me!’

‘I think you should rest.’ Persephone fetched a saucepan from one of the cupboards and started washing it up.

‘Rest? Seriously? With a fucking killer right next to me?’

‘Don’t worry. I’m not going to kill you.’

‘But how do I know you are not going to change your mind the next minute and kill me?’

‘You don’t.’ She shook her head. ‘I guess you will just have to live in the moment and hope for the best. Pray if you like.’ Persephone opened a tin of tomato soup and poured into the pan.

‘Pray? Is this some kind of joke to you?’

‘No, I’m not religious but I won’t mind if you are.’ She steadied the pan on top of the firewood and started to stir the soup with a spoon.

‘What is this? Are you trying to get to know me now?’

‘Why not. There’s no electricity, internet or phone service. What else is there to do?’

‘Ok, you first. Answer my previous question, did you kill my family?’

‘No.’

‘Do you know who did?’

‘Yes.’

‘How do I know you are not lying to me?’

‘You don’t.’

‘Who killed my family? I need to know.’

‘You don’t anymore.’

‘Why is that?’

‘Because I killed him.’

‘Who is he?’

‘Another freelancer.’

‘Why did you kill him?’

‘Why not? I kill anybody, indiscriminately, including killers. I stole his money and assignments. Nobody cares.’

‘So you were not there to save my family, you were a predator of predators.’

‘I guess so.’

‘You have neither belief nor moral. What kind of, ah, I mean, what kind of hell hole did you grow up in? Have you no family? Parents? Siblings?’

‘No, I killed them too.’

‘Oh my fucking God, are you serious? I can’t even begin to comprehend your world.’

‘Then don’t. Your soup is ready.’ She took the saucepan off the fire and held it under a thick rug. ‘Eat, it will make you recover quicker.’

‘You were cooking it for me?’

‘Yes.’

‘Wait. Are you? Are you in love with me?’

‘…’ Persephone put the saucepan down on the floor and looked at Alex. ‘What if I am?’

‘You got to be fucking kidding me! Christ! What the fuck? I mean, seriously, what the fuck! You are a killer, you are not supposed to fall in love with your victims.’

‘No. But not everything is logical.’

‘Did you target me? Did somebody hire you? How did you find me? Have you been stalking me?’

‘You were my colleague’s assignment. You and your entire family. I came across your file after I stole his stuff. For some reason, your photo attracted my attention and I wanted to keep you to myself.’

‘You wanted to keep me, to yourself. Just like that, huh? And how were you gonna do that? What’s your plan? Let’s hear it.’

‘There are no bears in the winter.’

‘There are…’ Alex’s pupils dilated and his eyes bulging. ‘You son of a…’ Tears streamed down his face and he closed his eyes. ‘Ok, tell me this. Am I your first romantic interest?’

‘No.’

‘What happened to the others?’

‘…’

‘Were they like me? I mean, they were your victims too, weren't they? What’s your deal? Do you fuck them before you kill them?’

‘What, you jealous? Your soup is getting cold. Would you like to have some?’

‘No. Leave me alone you fucking psycho! Just leave me to die!’

‘You’ve come this far to stay alive, Alex. I am the one person who can help you in doing pretty much whatever you wanted from this point on and you want to throw it away, is that right?’

‘Yeah! That is correct! My entire family are dead, dead! What’s the point of being alive without the ones you love, hm? What do you know, you know nothing of love.’

‘You don’t know me.’

‘I’ve heard enough. Plus, you are a killer and a freak. I don’t want to know you!’

‘I think you will reconsider after some rest.’

‘Yeah?’

‘Yeah. Food is here if you need some. Remember to add wood to the fire.’ Persephone picked up a suitcase from the wall drawer.

‘Wait, what are you doing? Are you leaving?’

‘Afraid so. I’d like to stay and chat with you, but too many to kill, too little time. I will see you in the morning. Goodnight!’ She walked out into the freezing wind and locked the cabin door.

January 16, 2021 22:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.