2 comments

Christmas Holiday

The wind howled mercilessly, whirling snowflakes into frenzy on the already coated garden. Jack’s green- flecked eyes gazed through the cottage window and wondered if it was ever going to stop? He hated snow, no, detested it.

 Only his love for Susie had brought him to this remote cottage deep in the highlands. Only two nights, but hadn’t expected it to be so isolated, with no amenities or so much snow. Arguably Susie did tell him ‘that sometimes; but not often, they got snowed in.’ She’d laughed at his shock and dismay, saying that ’it hadn’t been bad for years, so why would this be different?’

He glanced at his watch; and lit the candles; it was getting dusk already. Susie was late; she’d gone to the Farm to collect some milk and eggs from farmer Thomas; she’d only be an hour or two at the most. But that was four hours ago. He was worried. Striding back and forth across the wooden floor to peek if there was any sign of her, still the snow relentlessly fell. He wished he hadn’t argued and gone with her but she stubbornly insisted he was ‘too soft’

He consoled himself that she’d gone in for a natter and cup of tea; perhaps Jennie the farmer’s wife kept her longer than she thought. But still that nagging at the back of his mind kept on. And it was dark.

Jack donned an extra pair of trousers, a thick woolly jumper and two pairs of Susie’s long thick socks, before struggling into the old duffle coat that smelt of mothballs and dog from behind the outhouse door. A pair of green wellingtons stood waiting to be worn and with a long scarf and hat around his head and shoulders; he pulled them onto his feet. Two pairs of gloves held the torch in his hand.  

A thick layer of snow collapsed onto his shoulders as he pulled the door closed behind him; its wetness trickled down his back. He shivered to make his way; head bent to the waist, across the path towards the farm. Sweating like a labourer he kept going, as the wind drove him backwards a step, each two he took.

At last he reached the farm gate; only to be confronted by a six foot drift of snow. Sobbing in anguish, he turned and scrambled along the fence hoping to find another way in. After a few minutes, he spied a large rent in the fencing; and with brutal strength; managed somehow to squeeze through, with only a large snag of his scarf.

The wind and snow eased a moment for him to see lights ahead and with a sigh of relief; he began to make his way towards them.

Suddenly a sound caught his attention,’ help!’Help.

‘Where are you?’ he shouted above the rising wind.

‘Here up here?  A faint voice replied.

‘Susie! Is that you Susie, it’s me Jack’.  Desperate with the weight of his boots and snow; had him crawling on his knees.

 Yes I'm stuck!

‘I’m coming hold on.’

 The snow struck his face like shards of ice; he closed his eyes; A hole, oh god! He began to slip. Oh bloody hell, blast! With strength of oxen, he grabbed onto an overhanging branch and swung himself; feet kicking huge gouges into the sodden earth and snow, he managed to haul exhausted on the snow. Realising he must do something quickly; or else he too would be trapped; he drew himself up and charged through the thorn- brambled fence to roll over the top and land with a thud; nose to nose with Susie.

‘Oh Jack you hero. I didn’t realise when I set off; I was a bit pig-headed, I wanted to show you that I was self sufficient. But, look where it landed me’

‘Never mind my love, I’m sorry too; I’m here let’s see what we can do.’

 Susie began to scrape the snow; but she was frozen to the bone and shivering.’

Jack immediately began to dig with his hands but it was futile.

A barking and rustle of trees, followed by a large black and tan dog emerged from the undergrowth, alerted them to help arriving. Farmer Sam with a hearty laugh, took in the scene; ‘Missy, you got a good scent to find these pair’ and he ruffled missy’s coat and stroked her cold wet nose. 

‘Well my; you two are in a pickle, I must say?’

‘I got lost and fell,’ Susie cried, her tears freezing on her reddened face.

Jack mumbled rather shamefaced ‘I’m not much use either; I should have brought a shovel or something with me.’

‘Never mind that now; we’ll have you out in a jiffy. Take my hands Susie, and push your feet as hard as you can; kick and push, that’s it come on.’

Jack you grab her jacket and pull as hard as you can.’

 Jack’s strength returned, and he growled loudly whilst pulling Susie’s red jacket. Inch by inch Susie began to move; Farmer Sam grabbed under her arm pits and heaved one last time. She slid out like a whale on a net. ‘

Well, we’d best get you two up to the farmhouse quick as we can, before you catch your death, come on Susie’

Susie allowed herself to be hauled upright; and with Sam and Jack’s arms around her, they made their way up to the Farmhouse where a cosy fire and hot drink was waiting for them.

‘You were lucky I decided to take Missy out; I thought maybe the road would be blocked. I was just on my way to get the tractor when I heard shouting. Lucky, Missy sensed where you were, or you may have been out there all night.’

Later tucked up in the warmth of bed hot water bottles swathed around them, Susie sighed. Jack; I think you were right about the cabin, in the winter I’m sorry.’

‘Oh Susie maybe next time we could book one with at least some heat and electricity. And we’ll bring enough supplies for a year with us.’ ‘You mean you’d come again, oh, Jack, we’ll have loads of fun; there’s a sledge and skis in the attic at home. We’ll make a month of it...

‘Hold on now Susie; I didn’t say definitely; lets just enjoy what’s left for starters...

January 16, 2021 16:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Bill Humphrey
16:13 Jan 28, 2021

Great story! I really liked the description of the setting. I could clearly see the house and surrounding area from your description. Keep writing, I would like to read more of your work.

Reply

Joan Warburton
10:22 Jan 30, 2021

thanks for the great reply; I have quite a lot of short pieces. will post soon x joan

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.