Ready to Talk

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy

She was a beautiful woman, that was for sure, but if they thought he was going to start talking just because they brought in an attractive woman then they didn’t know Frank Shaffer. It did surprise him that they left her in the interrogation room alone with him. Considering what the accusation was, he’d think they’d have to at least consider him dangerous, and leaving dangerous men alone in a room with a good looking woman normally wasn’t a good idea. Granted they could have gotten in there pretty quickly if he tried anything, but someone who was really dangerous could do damage relatively quickly. And it wasn’t like he was going to try anything – not just because he wouldn’t hurt a woman but if he did then they’d have that much of a stronger case against him whether he talked or not. But he still found it odd that they left Allie in there with him alone.

“So are you ready to talk?” she said.

He said nothing. There was no point on saying anything as he knew how these people worked. They weren’t trying to find out information, they wanted to take whatever he said and spin it against him. And if they thought that he wasn’t stubborn enough where he’d just sit there silently until Allie, the original investigators, or whoever else they brought in there couldn’t take being in the room anymore, then they also didn’t know Frank Shaffer.

Allie didn’t react to his silence. Instead she raised her arm, pointed it in his direction, and opened her hand. He didn’t hear or see anything come out of it but he felt some sort of electrical force hit him and he was sure that that had come from her hand somehow. It froze him at first and he felt like if he wanted to say something that he wouldn’t be able to.

The first thing he noticed, since he had been looking at them a lot since she had gotten in there, was that her breasts looked like they were getting bigger. But as he looked at the rest of her, her shoulders looked like they were getting broader, her head bigger, and the whole rest of her kind of looked like it was growing, yet it didn’t at the same time. The same held true for the rest of the room as he looked around. He thought he was somehow hallucinating though he couldn’t figure out why he would be. 

But then he looked at his own body. His arms and the rest of him were getting smaller and that wasn’t some illusion like everything growing was. He looked at her hand still pointed at him and he could feel the force coming from her hand. Now he knew what was going on – she was shrinking him. He wanted to object, wanted to fight, but as long as this woman was sending this force to do this to him, he was helpless and at her mercy. She continued to shrink him and finally stopped when he was probably a quarter of his normal size. The guy who was normally 6’3 and weighed 215 pounds was now smaller than a midget.

“Ready to talk?” she said. Her voice seemed louder and almost seemed like it echoed a bit.

“What did you do to me??”

“I guess not.”

She aimed her hand at him again and before he could leap at her to try and stop her, that force shot at him again and froze him. He could feel himself shrinking more and when he was small enough, Allie who had just looked like a pretty, weak, woman when she had come into the room now looked big and powerful. She continued shrinking him and now that his ears were small enough and now more sensitive he could hear the force coming from her. His sense of hearing seemed to be more heightened as a whole as he felt like he could hear the air in the room now that he was so small. 

He continued to shrink in his chair until his legs were no longer hanging off of edge of it. As she continued to shrink him so he was getting to about the size of some bug he looked up at how powerful she looked doing so. He wondered if she was going to just shrink him until he was nothing but when he was no more than five inches tall and in the center of what was now a large chair to him, she stopped. 

He felt like he was in some sort of funhouse as he walked towards the end of the chair seat. He looked down and the seat that was only a couple of feet off of the floor now looked so high. It was scary for him so he ran back to the center of the chair.

He looked forward to see that Allie had kicked her shoes off. Her feet were bare and her right foot that was now much bigger than he was, was coming at him. It scared him and he wanted to try and run away but with his only other option being to jump off the chair, he had no choice but to stay put.

She wrapped her two biggest toes around him and lifted him right off of the chair. It was a humiliating feeling for him, her toes being that much stronger than he was where they were able to wrap him up like that. Even though he knew he wouldn’t be able to go anywhere if he escaped, he pulled on her toes trying to free himself, but they were too strong and there was nothing that he could do.

She set him down on the floor and let go of him. He looked around at his options but he felt like a bug in this enormous room and all he could do was stand there and wait to see what happened next. He looked up to see that her foot was coming down towards him slowly. He considered running but he knew he wouldn’t be able to get outside of the area that her foot covered in time so he just had to stand there, wince, and hope she didn’t crush him.

He looked up at the bottom of her foot and noticed he could see every little detail of it so clearly, especially every wrinkle in it. As it got even closer he could smell the fresh smell of whatever body wash she had used on it but he could also smell the remnant smell of her shoe that had been on it. Neither smell was bad, as this woman clearly took care of her feet, but it was still a powerful scent nonetheless with his sense of smell being heightened. Her foot came down more so it was pushing onto the top of his head. She was doing it gently but he was so small that he knew if she added any pressure that would be it for him.

“I could squash you like a bug right now,” she said, her voice now sounding extremely loud with quite the echo. “Crush you with my foot, mop up any of you that remained, and there’d be nothing left of you. It would be written off as you running away in hiding after you refused to talk and no one would bother looking for you. That’s what happens to people that refuse to talk to me.”

She pushed down a little bit more which she probably barely could feel doing but he definitely felt the pressure from her big foot on his entire body. It felt like some giant balloon was pushing down on his head, still soft, but so much bigger than him that it was causing him much discomfort. He was too small and weak to do anything about it and he wondered if she was going to proceed with squishing him.

She then pulled her foot away. He looked up and saw her aim her large hand in his direction and open it. He felt that force hit him again. Now he thought that instead of squashing him with her foot she was just going to shrink him until there was nothing left. 

But being so small, it didn’t take long for him to realize that he was growing again. He looked at her looking at him and he couldn’t help but feel gratitude for the fact that she was sparing him. He felt himself get bigger as the rest of the room, including her, were all getting back to normal size as her hand was aimed at him making it happen. He felt great relief as his body settled into its normal size again and when he was back to his full size sitting in his chair, she put her hand down.

She sat back in her chair, kicked out her legs, and rested her bare feet on the table so they were looking right at him. Her feet were only a size 6 but he still remembered how big they looked when he was shrunk and how those feet could squash him if Allie wanted that to happen. So he felt very intimidated with the soles of her bare feet looking right at him. She didn’t need to say anything. 

“OK, I’m ready to talk,” he said.  

June 30, 2020 00:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Leya Newi
23:36 Jul 01, 2020

Jeez. All your stories have scarily clever twists, and I liked how this one gave the power to the antagonist instead of the protagonist.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.