8 comments

Romance Mystery Drama

I sign my name at the bottom of the page slowly, as to make my writing as neat and precise as I possibly can. I am so scared. I straighten the two crisp white paper pages and stand up from my desk. I can do this. Besides, it's not like I can back out now. I've already signed my name on the paper.

I take a deep breath and straighten my blonde bob and smooth down my blouse before pushing the heavy wooden doors open. The crowd of at least 200 people turn from their gossiping and stare at me for a few seconds before they all take their seats in hard wooden chairs arranged in 10 perfect rows in either side of the aisle. I take a few steps, pause, and squash my nerves down into my stomach before striding confidently to the front of the room and stand in front of the microphone.

I stand there for a few seconds, surveying the crowd, all their eyes on me. This room is filled with family, friends, relatives, and business acquaintances. And if you haven't guessed yet, my family is rich. Like RICH. My dad is the owner of the biggest brand of cigarettes ever. My mum is a retired super model, so she got a heck of a lot of money from that. And of course, if that wasn't enough, we get money coming in all the time from my handsome older brother, for being a leader of a Go Greens political party.

Every time someone in this family reaches the age of 21, they must read out their will to all of their family, relatives, anyone who in someway has been in their life and is helping their family make more money which they don't need. I turned 21 last week, so now it's my turn. Yay. I glance at my beloved boyfriend, who is not rich, so all of my family dislikes him, for courage. He smiles, and gives a thumbs up. I smile, my heart lifting a bit. Not even he knows what's coming.

"My dear friends, family, and everyone gathered here today, I want to thank you for being here," I start, and now that I have, I'm not stopping. "Today is my reading of my will, which I have written and signed with my own hand, so as to set it in stone. I ask for no questions, comments, or any interruptions of any kind during my reading." I look up from my papers, and see people nodding in agreement. This is usual. Everyone asks for no interruptions. But this ain't gonna be a normal will reading.

"Everyone in my family, this generation, and for five generations before me, have read their will at the age of 21. They all follow the same rules. In case of death before other family members, money is to be divided evenly among them, and all businesses and charities the deceased person supported. I hate to break this supportive tradition, but I cannot, and will not leave any of my inherited money to any of my family or friends." A few murmurs rise from the crowd. "I have never, and will never support my father's business, in supplying human killing products with a smile on his face. I will never support my brother's political party, because of the lack of logic and common sense that they are corrupting the world with." Exclamations rise like a ride, but I keep going, making sure my voice is heard. "Instead of supporting such mediocre and stupid things, in case of my death before that of my boyfriend, I leave all my money and belongings to him and his family." My boyfriend, Henry, rises with astonishment on his face, before someone yanks him down again so I can finish. I take a deep breath. This is it. "From this point forward, I revoke my title as daughter of a billionaire and my place in this house. I will take my inheritance, being my share of money and all of my belongings, and build my own life, supporting myself and my boyfriend. All of these things I say with truth and confidence. I have written and signed this in my own hand, it is set in stone, it cannot be revoked by any authority here, now, or at any point. Thank you for your attention, this has been my will reading."

My dad stands up and yells. "How dare you! You put shame on your family! You put shame on a respectable business! You curse your own brother! Shame on you!" My dad is bright red, trembling from anger. Most other people sit in stunned silence, most of them either glaring daggers at me or ignoring me completely. My brother James stands up and calms our father down, but I can tell from the look on his face that he still doesn't understand what on earth just happened. I feel tears pricking the backs of my eyes, tears of relief, that threaten to spill over at any moment.

Henry runs up to me and I bury my head in his chest as he folds his strong arms around me. "Damn, Lauren, I did not see that coming! Are you sure you know what you're doing?" I smile and look up into his handsome face, his black hair flopping in his eyes. "I do. I've thought about this so much and I am so glad I made this decision." He brushes a stray piece of blonde hair behind my ear. "Ok," he whispers with a smile. "Thank you, babe. I love you so much." "I love you too, Henry," I whisper back.

Before I can react, Henry lets go of me and starts speaking into the microphone. Everyone quiets themselves to listen. "I don't know most of you here, but I do know this downright awesome girl Lauren over here," Henry says, smiling and pointing at me. "What are you doing?" I hiss at him, but he ignores me. "I want everyone to pay attention now, if you please," Henry says, and then he turns to me, and kneeling down on one knee, he pulls out a black velvet box and opens it. "Henry..." I can barely speak. The diamond on the silver ring stuns me, and I'm speechless, cos I know what's about to come. And I can't wait to say that little word... Yes.

That moment made me forget that we were surrounded by angry rich people. I was happy, despite my surroundings. Because I know what I did was right. And I have my boyfriend... fiancee, right here with me. Who could ask for more?

August 29, 2020 11:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

00:28 Jan 29, 2021

I really love how many people (including you!!!) can make me emotional and satisfy my love for love stories (it's kind of a problem) in less than 3k words. I liked how Lauren wasn't ashamed to choose her boyfriend over her family (I know it's not exactly like that but you know what I mean) and the proposal was the icing on the cake. Great job!

Reply

Fay Winter
23:05 Jan 30, 2021

Thank you so much!! I kinda have a thing for love stories too... I'm glad I have a fellow romantic! I can't wait to read more of your stories

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:13 Sep 11, 2020

This story made me cry while reading her will. It doesn't have descriptive narrations about her feelings, but when you read her will the emotions come flooding in. I love this story. I hope you can divide the paragraphs into smaller ones because I get bored with long paragraphs, but this story didn't. Also, I think it would be much better if there is more conflict like her father slapping her or something. I like drama, I'm sorry. Keep on writing!

Reply

Fay Winter
22:29 Sep 11, 2020

Thank you so much for taking a look at my story!! Thank you for your advice. I was thinking I should add more drama, but I guess I wasn't quite sure how! No need to be sorry, thank you so much for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba Noor
10:29 Sep 10, 2020

Wow! It was sweet story.. I liked it, I didn't expect this type of storyline for this prompt but your imaginations are really unique.. you satisfy the prompt as well as write a little cute love story too.

Reply

Fay Winter
22:14 Sep 10, 2020

Thanks for taking a look at it! I'm so glad you liked it. I would love your feedback on any future stories of mine. Would you be interested?

Reply

Laiba Noor
01:28 Sep 11, 2020

I would love to read your stories!!

Reply

Fay Winter
22:28 Sep 11, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.