Teenagers are Stupid

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write your story from the perspective of a side character.... view prompt

3 comments

Contemporary LGBTQ+ Teens & Young Adult

      The passing streetlights went by so fast they almost looked like stars. The road was smooth, no bumps, good. Everyone inside the car was cramped. Or, they were. The driver wasn’t really driving as much as he was talking. The woman next to him chatted him up easily, the two locked in their own conversation, in their own world. Forgetting on the people in the back seat.

           The car was dark, the leather smooth against their shorts. They were in the middle because according to them, “You’re the smallest.” Sure, they didn’t take up too much space but it still hurt to be called ‘the smallest’. It sucks more since they’re stuck between a couple who won’t talk to one another. Jesus Christ, why won’t they just talk?

            On their left was one girlfriend, their right was the other. They had a fight just before they all got into the car because the guy driving was convinced, he found something that could solve the mystery. Well, while he and the main crew would go off and almost get themselves killed, they could get some burgers at that place they liked. If they came back alive they’d have to share though… kind of a messed-up thought. Damn intrusive thoughts, NOBODY LIKES YOU.

           Why were the girlfriends fighting? Well, the driver wouldn’t know, he was too busy with his own romantic endeavors to focus on his friends. His friends, who’ve grown up with him, helped him out when he needed it. Friends. Homies. But no, all it takes is a pretty girl to come along and suddenly they have to solve a murder of some dead guy who NONE OF THEM KNEW.

           But seriously, why were the girlfriends fighting? Because only them two and they knew. Well, it was simple, couple things. One girlfriend was more conservative than the other and was scared to be ‘out’ about their relationship. The other girlfriend wanted to come out of the closet. And why do they know all of this? Simple. Because they are the designated therapist. Which was total bull.

           Why did they have to be the therapist's friend? All they wanted to do was go back home ad sleep. You know. NORMAL TEENAGER THINGS. Teenagers don’t go around solving mysteries of dead people they don’t know! What sort of Young Adult manuscript were they in? Jesus Christ, what a nightmare.

           If they wake up and get kidnapped or the FBI shows up one day, they’re ratting out the driver’s oh-so-special girl in the passengers' side. The driver was a decent enough human being. A bit of an ass at times, but that’s how he is. What can they do? Fix him? No no no. That’s too much for even them to handle. According to Young Adult Novels, the girlfriend is supposed to fix the boyfriend's attitude.

           But… no one should fix a lover's attitude. People aren’t therapists for their boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, anything. Damn intrusive thoughts again. Thank god they can keep their mouth shut, otherwise, they’d get labeled as the villain. When, in reality, they just wanted to go to school the next day and find out some stupid shit happened. Like someone started breakdancing in the halls or someone was stealing tiles from the girls' locker room again.

           Why can’t they just do that? Normal shit. That’s all they want. But no, they’re stuck in a cold, leather seated car, with a lovey-dovey couple up front, with another couple refusing to talk to each other in the back. And them in the middle.

           The drive continued on, the lights of the other cars peering into their soul like demons. The beat of the music marched on. The chatter from the front seemed so far away. The silence of the rear sat in the still air.

           They sat, squished, as the driver pulled off the highway into the small city. How much longer until they could get out? To leave while the rest of their friends did something that was probably stupid? They just wanted a burger from their favorite burger place. Was that so wrong? Apparently so because they knew if they brought it up they would be shot down. God forbid they strive away from the goal.

           Some goal. What are they even doing this for? The fame? They know the cops will take all of the credit, they always do. No one is going to believe them. No one is going to care in a few months. They just want a burger, they just want to not be squished.

           One of the girlfriends made a passing remark in the main duo’s conversation. They felt the other girl roll her eyes. Yes, felt, because when you know her, you know when an eye roll comes along. Lord, couldn’t they just talk? Isn’t communication key in all relationships? Apparently not in this one because these two just refuse to talk to one another.

           They were getting restless, they didn’t like being in a car for this long with this much tension. Sure, they liked long car rides, but this was actually painful. So dumb, all of this was dumb, why were they even here, just to suffer? They should be in bed, on their phone, reading stupid stories some kid wrote or watching YouTube, or Twitch, or listening to music. Anything but this. When adults say, ‘When I was a kid-’ they don’t think this is what they meant. Is this just a phase everyone goes through? Being stupid? If so then… wow… teenagers were so stupid.

           Though teenagers are stupid, they were all stupid. They knew that. Everyone knew that it was, like, a fact. Maybe that’s why everyone was out here, doing stupid shit together? Stupid shit, with this random girl, the driver who’s obviously the main character in all of their stories, two girlfriends going through their own relationship arc, and them. Maybe being the side character wasn’t so bad… but could they still get their damn burger?

August 06, 2021 03:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Moon Lion
04:45 Aug 06, 2021

What a fun and novel way to answer the prompt, also I loved the narrative style, it was so deeply and totally in the head of the character you have created! I was so curious to see what people would end up writing for this specific prompt, and this was one of the only stories that actually explored things from the side character perspective. Super cool, and well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ryl J.
04:01 Aug 27, 2021

This story was written so well! I thought this prompt seemed quite difficult when I first saw it, but you really interpreted it in such an excellent way. Through your writing, the voice of the side character was tangible and vivid and, at first, it actually seemed a bit surreal because I wasn't used to reading stories from side characters, but once again, it was a great experience. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tricia Shulist
03:23 Aug 07, 2021

Interesting perspective. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.