7 comments

Mystery Suspense Crime

My name is Detective Muller and I've  been assigned  to a case involving a break-in at a local bakery called Jullia’s.  The owner of the bakery claims that yesterday night her bakery was broken into and her secret ingredient was stolen, Miss Jullia refuses to tell me what the secret ingredient is.  Without knowing what I am looking for makes my job a whole lot harder, It's like she sent me on a wild goose chase. I am going to visit her bakery once again at noon today to investigate the scene. Maybe I will find out what really happened.

Jullia’s Bakery has been in business for two years and has been the best bakery in the town of ClearWater Colorado, since they opened up shop in 2007. Our town is very small but the residents love the local bakeries, at this moment there is on other bakery in town and it's called  Better Breads owned by Miss whittaker. Both bakeries haven been rivals since Jullia’s bakery opened up. Better Breads has been open for 25 years and I have been noticing that Miss. Whittaker has been pretty upset that she's losing her customers to the newbie. This is why I have placed Miss. Whittaker is suspect number one, she has motive  but no means. All I need to do at this time is to catch Miss. Whittaker in the act, but how?

I looked at the clock and it was 11:48 am. Well jeepers, I was gonna be late to check out the crime scene! I put my jacket on and raced for my car and started it up and began driving to Jullia’s Bakery. It’s about fifteen minutes from where I live. I was gonna be a few minutes late, but putting that aside, I had to think of a way to fool Miss. Whittaker that Jullia had found a new secret recipe, But how? I arrived at the scene of the bakery break at around 12:04 pm. Just looking at the Bakery it looked like there was no break in at all. The windows were intact, the door wasn't broken and everything looked so clean. Was Jullia just leading me on a goose chase? The only way to find out was to go and talk to her. I got out of my car and walked towards Jullia, who seemed to be super nervous. She was fidgeting with her hands and hair. I could have also sworn she had something in her jacket pocket.   

I Approached Miss Jullia  and greeted her “Hello Miss Jullia I'm Detective Muller and I'm here to investigate your break in.” I held out my hand so that she could shake it but she refused, Did I scare her because of my incredibly deep voice? No, I couldn't have Jullia know me all too well. So naturally I looked around scanning for any suspicious activity. All I noticed was Miss. Whittaker watching me and Jullia from her store window. Jullia replied to me in a quiet tone” I'm jullia, please do go inside my store '' It seemed as if she was scared of someone. To be honest I would be uneasy if an old lady was watching you with a stone cold gaze. Once I entered the store I looked at Jullia and asked “ is everything alright?” Jullia quickly closed the door and replied in her normal sweet voice “ yes, sorry about earlier I just had a feeling that Miss. Whittaker had put tiny microphones outside” She seemed to be A Lot more relaxed in the store.

Jullia then led me to the back of her store where she kept her tools, and then I saw there on her desk was a small, dented broken safe. “ Whoever broke in had clearly known what they were coming for, do you know who would have wanted to take your secret ingredient?” i asked “No, I can't think of anyone who would want to other than Miss. Whittaker but she hasn't been to the back of my store. The only people back here are me, my kids,husband and the delivery guy.” So it couldn't have been Miss Whittaker who stole the ingredient but why would any of her kids steal her secret ingredient? Her kids are all Baseball players. So then that leaves the Delivery driver! “Miss Jullia When was the last time you saw your delivery driver?” I asked “I last saw him yesterday” she replied.  I then thought well this guy has the means to steal the ingredient but why would he take it? Then the husband could be a suspect as well with the means but no motive.

This is a tough case to crack. I then wandered around the room looking for clues and that's when I found a wedding ring, and a piece of blue cloth. I turned  to look at Miss Jullia who was standing in the hallway looking a bit anxious. “Miss Jullia what was the delivery wearing yesterday?” I asked as I held up the cloth and the wedding ring.” he always wears a blue jumpsuit…. That's my husband's ring!”she exclaimed “ you don't think my husband took the ingredient do you?” she said with a sorrowful tone “yes and no” i replied “I feel like both assisted in this heist, have you seen your husband yet?” I asked “ No, I haven't seen him since yesterday…” her words trailed off as if she realized that her husband may have stolen her secret ingredient. As she stood in shock she then silently began examining the items that I had picked up.

“When will your husband get home?” I asked “ He was supposed to already be home” she replied with her lips quivering “don't your worry miss I'll find him and set this right” I said as i glanced at the clock seeing that it was 1:00 Pm now “Thank you Detective! Ke….” her words trailed off as she broke down in tears. I hugged her and smiled “I bet your husband tried to stop the robbery” I said trying to reassure her  “I hope that's true Detective”she said letting go of me and wiping her eyes “ be safe officer” she said as I began to head towards the front of her store. “I will Have a good rest of your day” I left the building and got in my car. When I got into my car I began to think about the suspects and how Miss Jullia reacted to the interrogation and investigation. Only one suspect has the means and the motive to steal the ingredient. That would be the delivery guy…..

TO BE CONTINUED…..  

December 09, 2020 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Such an amazing story! I can't believe this is your first one because it's just simply great! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
18:41 Dec 09, 2020

Hey Felicity!! I'm so happy I could give you your first karma points. For this, I would say try and be less rigid, and think if you could imagine your characters talking or thinking like that. Also, add more human interaction between characters. I know it may seem hard to do dialogue and expressions at first, but you never get better unless you practice. Great job!!

Reply

Lucas Zhou
04:20 Dec 17, 2020

:) i agree with everything haripriya stated well done

Reply

. .
15:29 Dec 17, 2020

I’m not haripriyaaaaaa

Reply

Lucas Zhou
01:06 Dec 18, 2020

ik i was saying that i agree with everything haripriya said*_*

Reply

. .
12:33 Dec 18, 2020

Oh

Reply

Lucas Zhou
22:49 Dec 18, 2020

:) its ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.