Children of Storms

Submitted into Contest #83 in response to: Write a fantasy story about water gods or spirits.... view prompt

14 comments

Fantasy Fiction Mystery

Lara Fitzgerald was sixteen when a car accident killled her father. Mason was returning her to the home he'd left, after the divorce three years ago. It wasn't even his fault. A heavy and violent rainfall had made the roads trecherous. Lara was rushed to Clayton Park Hospital. The crash had paralyzed her legs. She would have to get around in a wheelchair, but the doctor assured her that it wasn't impossible for her to walk again.


Months passed. Some feeling came back. She could stand, but only for a few short minutes. Once she was able to take steps, Physiotherapy was the next stop. In the beginning, Lara felt overwhelmed with just how much time and effort this would take. She cried and cursed to the high heavens, during those first sessions.


Her pain was unbearable, although she did try not to become reliant on the tablets she was prescribed. Eventually she began to notice the changes. She was no longer bound to her wheelchair. She walked slowly up and down the line, not always clinging to the bars for support. The pain eased.


Nearly a year later, Lara was up and about and moving so much better. She still used a walking stick every so often, but all in all, she was quite pleased with her progress. So was the therapist, who of course then reported to her doctor. The day she finished therapy, happened to be a Friday, so her mother Renee organised a party at one of Lara's favorite restaurants.


Everyone she had ever known was there, both friends and family. Her mother placed a large framed photograph of her father on an empty chair up at the dining table. Food was served. The drinks kept pouring. Lara ate her fair share and was feeling just a little bit tipsy, when her mother decided to make a speech.


"I appreciate you all, for being here tonight. We are so happy with how well Lara has done, to get back on her feet. We also pay tribute to Mason. He and I may have had our skirmishes after the split, but we didn't let that get in the way of loving and caring for our daughter. He was a great dad and one of the most decent men I have ever met." People applauded and raised a glass for Mason.


But there was more Renee wished to share. "Which reminds me, I have a couple of surprises." Lara tore off the paper from a small box and opened the lid. Inside, lay a silver and turquoise pendant shaped like a teardrop. Renee helped her daughter put the chain on.


"A present from your father. We were saving it for your birthday, but I thought you deserved something special for this occasion. I understand it's a Fitzgerald family heirloom." "Knowing the pendant was handed down to me from Dad, makes it all the more special. Thanks." "You're very welcome sweetheart." Renee's boyfriend Dean Castille, took out a ring which he then placed onto her finger. He couldn't wipe the smile off his face. "I proposed earlier this morning." Enthusiastic cheers erupted. "Congratulations!"


The two of them had quite literally bumped into each other, just over two years ago.

Dean didn't have children of his own, so he kind of adopted Lara, when things began to get serious and he moved in with them. He told Lara upfront that he wouldn't dream of trying to take her father's place. They became good friends. Lara saw how Renee's face lit up whenever she was around Dean and knew her mother had made the right choice.


####

From the moment Lara held that pendant in her hand, something within her, suddenly woke up. She'd always been drawn to water, mesmerised by the clear, continuous stream of liquid pouring from the sink. She would watch in fascination as the waves brushed along the shoreline at the beach.


When she bathed, she lay in the tub for ages, until well after the water had turned cold. As a little girl, even before she learned how to swim, she had no fear of drowning. She also loved the storm clouds gathering for a downpour. You'd think that given the accident, she would be terrified. But whenever it happened at her house, Lara just went outside and stood in the rain.


Renee had often witnessed Mason do a similar thing, when the weather changed like this. She really did miss him. Their only child felt his loss ever more keenly. They'd been very close, even after the divorce. Wearing the pendant all the time, Lara sensed instinctively that through all things, the water was her ally. How she could have thought of this strange idea, was beyond her.


Renee would just smile when she saw her daugher dancing as the rain fell down in buckets. The neighbours, well those who might have actually taken notice, soon got used to the sight of the young lady twirling about in the Fitzgerald's back garden. In these private moments, Lara could have sworn that she wasn't alone. Her father's spirit seemed to hover around her. Ironically, it wasn't that far from the truth...


####

Dean, who ran his own business, had some vacation time and a place he wished to show Renee and Lara; his family's wood cabin out in the middle of the forest. The girls thought it was a great idea. Renee was thinking of the spectacular photos she would take, while Lara couldn't wait to explore the wilderness.


Five weeks away from civilisation seemed just about perfect. It was a three hour drive out of town. Turning left at a faded sign, they soon caught a glimpse of the cabin itself. The building was large and well maintained in readiness for visitors. It sat upon acres of greenery, with a lake running along the side of it.


Lara jumped out of the car as soon as it stopped moving. "What a gorgeous view!" Dean unlocked his car boot, smiling at the expression on his stepdaughter's face. "I know. My grandfather loved fishing in this very spot. When we had school holidays, my brother and I always had a lot of fun here." Renee snapped a few pictures. "I think when we retire, we should move in permanently."


"Not a bad idea." Dean stumbled slightly as he moved Lara's luggage out from the back. "What the hell did you put in your suitcase?" She laughed and went over to help him. "My usual stuff, plus the telescope Mum bought me for Christmas." Renee held open the front door. On the kitchen table, they found a note of welcome from Harriet the housekeeper, a jug of lemonade and a plate of cookies.


After quenching thier thirst and sampling the home baked goods, Dean gave them a short tour. The shabby chic decor and furniture, made the whole space feel cozy and warm. Renee brought in boxes of essentials for the fridge and pantry.


Lara loved having the top floor bedroom to herself. She swam in the lake every morning. Renee set up an easel in the lounge and looking out from the glass doors, began painting some of the scenery. Although he knew these woods and probably wouldn't ever be out of thier field of vision, Dean still showed them both which forest trails they shoud stick to, just in case.


####

Late one night, Lara was about to switch of her bedside lamp, when she definitely heard her father's voice, calling to her from outside somewhere. This was no dream, she was fully awake and alert. She flew out of bed and hurried to the window. There, on the edge of the lake, a familiar figure waited. Her pendant glowed faintly, as she tiptoed down the stairs, careful not to make any sounds.


The glow brightened, the closer she got to the figure. Mason Fitzgerald stood only a few feet away, but she could tell at once that he wasn't quite the same man who helped to raise her. He had a form of sorts, but it appeared to be entirely made of water. His voice when he spoke, was also much softer, almost musical. "Hey kid."


"Dad?"Foolishly she tried to hug her father, but there was nothing to hold onto. He smiled sadly. "My mortal body is gone. It perished in the crash. I am just grateful that you're still alive. This is my true form." She started crying, but within a few minutes, she was able to speak up and ask "What are you?"


"I belong to a race of beings, that can use the four elements. We have lived among the normal population for as long as we've been able to remember. Our kind frequently mingle with humans, so my relationship with Renee isn't such a big deal. The children of these unions who survive birth, are the ones who inherit our elemental gift. Your mother and I unfortunately lost a son before you came along."


"Did you have a name for him? " "Elijah. But unlike your brother, on the night you were born, there was a storm. I instantly felt the power take hold in you and settle down quietly, patiently waiting for the right time to emerge. You need someone to teach you about this ability we share, so you are better equipped to control it. That is why I have come back."


Lara sat very still on the grass. Mason was silent as his daughter thought of everything she had been told. Then she looked up at him and grinned. Her father was still with her, for however long. Now she also had a genuine connection to her favorite element."When do we start?"


End Of Part One...

March 01, 2021 03:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Renata Paschoal
09:11 May 28, 2021

Lovely! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Grace Jarvis
18:50 Mar 13, 2021

On the technical side, I did see a few grammar and spelling errors. In my opinion, this was a really cool story. I was instantly mesmerized and drawn into the story. I love that she recovered and her mother remarrying was not something the main character despised. I'm in love with this take on the prompt and the plot. I cannot wait for me!

Reply

Kylie Wallis
00:27 Mar 14, 2021

Thank you for the compliment and input.

Reply

Grace Jarvis
02:56 Mar 14, 2021

Of course! Thanks for writing such a beautiful piece!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kylie Wallis
23:09 Mar 16, 2021

I am usually a bit more observant when it comes to grammar and spelling mistakes ,so it kind of bugs me that I can't edit the story further once it has been approved. I have however made the changes to my original copy.

Reply

Grace Jarvis
04:58 Mar 19, 2021

I soo agree.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
KED KED
15:37 Mar 10, 2021

Woahhhh. Really cool take on this! Looking forward to part 2!

Reply

Kylie Wallis
07:49 Mar 11, 2021

No idea at the present time, when I will get around to Part 2, but it just might pop up unexpectedly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kylie Wallis
00:28 Mar 11, 2021

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Angel Elle
13:43 Mar 07, 2021

Cool concept :)

Reply

Kylie Wallis
00:30 Mar 08, 2021

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
10:34 Mar 07, 2021

This is an amazing concept that was beautifully written! Nothing much to critique, really. Well done!

Reply

Kylie Wallis
00:30 Mar 08, 2021

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:10 Mar 05, 2021

Hey everyone, I’ve posted another incredible story called “Ghost Ship” to Reedsy. Brothers Charlie and David sail towards the Carribean on the adventure of a lifetime when a hurricane changes direction and heads up the coast. Their attempt to avoid certain destruction leads to the decision to seek shelter in the Bahamas. They soon find more danger than they realized among the waves. What will happen? Will they survive? Please feel free to leave honest feedback. I would like to read something of yours in return if you will accept honest f...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.