7 comments

Science Fiction Fantasy Christian

Rune was quiet.

“Now!” Lyris exclaimed. “It’s time to eat!”

Rune stood. “I’ll get the boys and Amarillius. Do you know where they are?”

“Amarillius is in her room, the boys are down on the shore.”

The sarsh soldier strode out of the room and through the expanse of the house. Amarillius’s room was- by request- on the third floor of the house in a dome-like room. She spent most of her free time there. Rune ascended the two flights of steps and knocked on the ornate door- painted with natural inks from plants and carved with a design that Rune himself did for Amarillius’s year-turning recently. “Enter.” Amarillius called. The sarsh did- his sister looked up and hesitated. She sat on her bed, gazing out the open door to the plain in the distance.

“It’s time to eat,” said Rune quietly.

Amarillius didn’t meet his eyes. “Alright, I’ll be down in a minute.”

The soldier turned, heart heavy. “Amarillius?” He asked tentatively.

“Yes?”

“Please don’t avoid me like this. I’m leaving this afternoon and I’d like to spend as much time with you before I leave.”

There was silence for a long time. The girl’s shoulders trembled, and she bent, burying her face in her bed. Rune’s face fell; he slipped out the door, knowing nothing he tried to would help. He was silent and thoughtful as he made his way to the shore again. There was lots of sarsh out now, children running in the soft soil- their older siblings or mothers watching them with joy in their eyes. Rune knew that joy for a long time; it was a different happiness than they experienced playing in the grass on Zenith. A better happiness.

“Sharn! Tycho!” Rune bellowed. Several people smiled and one woman pointed to a large reed bush.

“They’re hiding in there, Rune.”

The sarsh nodded his thanks. He’d long grown accustomed to everyone knowing his name, even if he didn’t know theirs. He tiptoed over to the bush and peered over the top. His little brothers were smothering their giggles, hunched down to hide. A smile stretched across Rune’s face. “What are you two doing?” He asked, amused. They erupted from the reeds, latching their small arms around Rune’s neck and hanging on, bare feet gripping his clothes and trying to gain purchase. The soldier fell to the sandy ground, laughing. “How did you know I was coming to find you?” He asked, grinning and rubbing the sand from his little brothers’ hair.

“We was sneakin’ in the trees!” Tycho shouted in excitement. He was five years old now, and becoming much more talkative than he was before.

Sharn grinned. “We were following you, we saw you come out of the house and we ran here. You couldn’t even find us!” He was eight, his imagination was in full bloom and he often led Tycho in games that no one but they could understand.

Rune raised an eyebrow. “You were stalking me? What for?”

Sharn looked abashed. “Well, everyone says you’re the best soldier there ever was. The best soldiers don’t get spied on by little kids.”

The cyber soldier stood, taking Sharn’s hand and lifting Tycho with one arm, settling the little boy on his hip. Sharn’s statement made him thoughtful. “Sharn?” He asked.

“Yeah?”

“Were you doing that because you’re angry at me for leaving?”

Sharn didn’t meet his eyes. “I thought-” He whispered. “Maybe if they were wrong that you were the greatest soldier, they wouldn’t send you away.” The boy’s eyes welled with tears and dripped down his dark cheeks. Rune knelt at his side.

“They’re not sending me away, Sharn. I’m going because I chose to. Everyone else has nothing to do with this.”

“Why would you leave if you loved us?” Sharn whispered under his breath, but Rune heard it. And it was more painful than a blade through his chest.

“I’m doing this because I love you. Like I told you, this work I’m doing, will make the world a better place, it will protect you. Just because I’m leaving doesn’t mean I don’t love you. I do. I love you very much.”

Sharn looked into his big brother’s eyes and smiled. “I believe you.”

Rune’s eyes widened and the grip on his heart eased its grip just a little. “Thank you.”

__

The family of five sat around their small table, hands joined. This had become a tradition. They were to be grateful for all Reign provided. Rune met the eyes of his family members and took a deep breath, closing his eyes. “Reign, our creator, you are generous. You have provided us with this food to strengthen our bodies to do your will. Thank you for it. For your glory, and in your will.”

He finished and the younger sarsh interrupted the silence as they practically dove for the food, trying to get the largest pieces of melon. Rune laughed, skewering several cubes and dropping it onto his plate. He listened intently as Sharn and Tycho recounted the adventures they had that morning; he noticed they didn’t mention why they’d been sneaking in the forest, but that was okay with him. Everyone was distracted; happy. That was important. When the boys were quiet, focusing on their food, Rune looked to his sister. “What did you do this morning, Amari?”

She looked up at him, then back down at her plate. “I stayed in bed pretty late, then helped Lyris get the boys dressed and fed. Then I sat in bed most of the morning, reading and writing.” There was something in her voice that told Rune she wasn’t telling him everything. But he had a good idea of what she was leaving out. He could tell she’d been crying. Her voice, her posture, her eyes, they all gave it away.

“What did you write about?” Rune asked, picking a piece of melon off his fang.

“Mostly poems and personal stuff.”

The sarsh soldier was quiet, studying his sister’s face.

“Children,” Lyris said, breaking the silence. “I’m going to visit some friends for an hour or two. Can you clean up from the meal, please?”

A chorus of yesses sounded, and Lyris smiled. She stood, taking her own plate to the wash bin and cleaned it. Sharn shoveled a few more melon pieces into his mouth and leaped off his chair; Rune gave him a stern eye: the young sarsh had been told not to do that. Sharn grinned sheepishly. “Sorry.”

Rune nodded. “I forgive you.”

Lyris left a few moments later, the younger sarsh flocking to say goodbye even though she was only walking a few houses away. Rune turned to his siblings. “Tidy time!” He called. Tycho screeched and ran under the table. Sharn ran into the bathroom. Amarillius walked over to the wash bin and turned on the spigot- a large barrel stored the water; it was fastened to the wall on the outside of the house, where it could collect rain water and constantly fill. Amarillius washed the dishes in silence. Rune cleared the table of the dishes and placed them on the counter beside the wash bin; then he started drying the dishes. After a minute or two, Tycho crawled out and hung on Rune’s clothes, whining that he wanted to help. The cyber solder couldn’t help but laugh. Children were very indecisive. Most people were to a degree, but small children had a terribly high level of indecisiveness. Rune gave Tycho a towel and handed him a plate. They finished the work quickly and quietly; Sharn emerged from the bathroom conveniently as they hung up the towels and Amarillius climbed to a tiny deck beside the water barrel, pouring the water to pour it back into where it would filter and be ready for use again.

Rune smiled as his siblings looked at him. “How would you all like to go swimming?”

Both Sharn and Tycho squealed happily, eyes shining. Amarillius looked out the window. “Yeah. That would be fun. Come on, boys, let’s get you into your swim clothes.”

“I can help them, Amari.” Rune interjected. “You go get ready.” His sister smiled.

“Alright.”

It only took a few minutes for them to prepare. The three boys, clad in shorts and naught else, clambered down the outside ladder with Amarillius behind them. Rune chased Tycho across the packed dirt path, eliciting laughter from the little boy. Sharn hung back and skipped beside Amarillius, holding her hand. Amarillius wore a simple pair of shorts and a sleeveless shirt, designed to be worn under a tunic, but used by all sarsh as swim wear.

“Amarillius?” Sharn asked, deep teal eyes staring up at his sister.

“Yes, Sharn?”

“You know, just because Rune is leaving doesn’t mean he doesn’t love us. He’s protecting us.”

The young female sarsh looked at her brother. “Why do you think that?”

“Rune told me.”

“… He’s leaving us. Again. He’s only actually been present for a year.”

“Aren’t you grateful for that?” Sharn inquired.

“I am.”

“Then, when he’s gone, remember when he was here, and you can be happy until he comes back.”

Amarillius was quiet. Her jaw twitched; she took a deep breath, watery violet eyes focused on the ground. “I…” She lifted her head and smiled. “I think you’re right, Sharn. I should hold fast to every moment with him and when he’s not here, I’ll be thankful for the time I had with him.”

Sharn grinned and let go of her hand. “I’m going to catch up with Rune and Tycho, okay?”

Amarillius smiled. “Okay, Sharn.” The little boy dashed away. The girl sighed, closing her eyes. When she opened them again, they were clear and there was a smile on her face; she tossed her long blue braid over her shoulder and sprinted after her brothers.

__

Rune and Tycho were already in the water when Amarillius arrived. Sharn was crossing the white sand, a grin on his face. He jumped into the beautifully clear water with a splash and resurfaced howling about how cold it was. Amarillius waded into the water, rolling her eyes. The water was not cold in the slightest; it was a novelty to have a natural body of water. Back on Zenith, there were only pools. This lake was almost as clear as the pools had been, and it was as warm, heated by the sun and the moon- which radiated a similar heat to the sun.

More often than not, Rune used swimming as an opportunity to teach his three siblings to master morphing. This meant being able to observe the animals around you and mimic their bodies; morphing midair or going from one animal to another. The four sarsh dove under the water, eyes open. The first creature they saw, they shifted to match it, instantly taking on the instincts and knowledge of how to function with an entirely different body. They practiced for a while. During a break- the siblings standing in the water, soaking the hot sun into their dark skin- Sharn spoke up. “Can we go to the island?” He asked. “We haven’t been there in a while. It’ll be good flight practice.”

Rune opened his eyes and turned to a spot of land in the distance. “Aren’t you all too tired from all the practicing we’ve been doing?”

A chorus of desperate ‘no’s’ sounded and the cybersoldier smiled. “Alright. Do you all remember your flight forms?” The response was a flurry of motion and the flap of feathers. Rune smiled and joined them in the air.

The island lay a quarter of a mile out from the shore and there were many others like it spread across the lake, but this island was small and decorated with one impressively large tree perfect for climbing. Most of the time, it was a secluded place for Rune to sort out his thoughts, but once his siblings discovered it, they pleaded to come with him and it became a special occasions place for them to enjoy each other’s company. The four siblings lighted on the hard sand, morphing back to their original forms. Tycho and Sharn ran for the tree, leaping and pulling themselves higher into the large branches. Rune stood on the shore and gazed out over the water, sadness in his eyes. Amarillius slipped her hand into his much larger metal hand. “I’ve been wrong this whole time, Rune.”

Without looking at her, the soldier responded. “About what, Amari?”

“It’s not your fault you have to leave us. I’m sorry for directing my negative emotions at the wrong person.”

Rune frowned, glancing at his sister. “Are you talking about-”

“Yes, that strange tiny man who came in a giant metal robot. He’s the one who stole you in the first place, who nearly took you from us forever, and who is taking you away again!”

“First, tiny?”

Amarillius snorted. “The man is at least two feet shorter than me, and his head only comes a little past your waist. Tiny.”

Rune laughed. “He is pretty short, but he’s strong enough to be a good match for me.”

Amarillius wrinkled her nose. “I’m not so sure about that. Maybe he used to be, but you’ve put on more muscle, if that was possible.”

“Amari…” Rune said, all humor faded. “I was angry at Tyrene for the longest time too- if I’m being honest, I kind of hate him, but I’ve forgiven him. He did and is doing all those things, but it’s for a better cause. For a better world. Do you understand?”

“… No, and I don’t think I ever will, but for now, I want to spend this time with you. It’s almost time.”

Rune took a deep breath and let the soft breeze carry away his fear and anger. He turned to the tree behind them, where their little brothers were leaping across the tree branches and scampering up and down the length of the trunk like earth squirrels. “Shall we join them?”

Amarillius smiled and took a deep breath, releasing Rune’s hand. She took a running start and leaped agilely onto the first branch. Rune did the same- landing on a branch much higher than Amarillius’s. She made a mock offended face and followed him, laughing.

They stayed on the island for a long time; chasing each other and filling the air with joy or laying in a nook in the uppermost branches of the tree, gazing up at the sky in silence. They ignored the dread in their thoughts as best they could; they pretended not to see the sun sinking toward the horizon, marking the coming of something they wished would not arrive.

But it did.

The sun- still clinging to the shelf of the distant horizon- was casting its last scarlet light across the world when Rune heard it. A distant rumble like that of thunder but wrong. The soldier closed his eyes and his fingers wrapped around the branch, wood splintering and giving way beneath his powerful grip. His body shuddered as Tycho- who lay in the crook of his arm- sat up and twisted to see the origin of the noise. “Rune?” The little boy asked, sounding concerned.

“It’s alright, Tycho. It’s alright.” The soldier sat up, the energy suddenly sapped from his body. He met his sister’s eyes. “Take the boys over to our house, tell Lyris that Tyrene is here. I’m going to stay here a minute or two.”

Amarillius nodded. “Sharn, Tyk? Let’s go.” The three slowly climbed down from the tree and launched off, flying low across the surface of the water. Rune descended on the opposite side- so the tree hid him from sight on the mainland. He lowered himself against the bole of the tree. And then he sat there, silent, eyes closed, mind empty save for fear. Tears ran down his cheeks. His body shuddered and his breath came quickly. He felt the same fear he had felt the previous night- a gripping terror and crushing dread that refused to let him rise. It took him a long time to open his eyes again. The sun was gone below the horizon, the last spears of light still piercing the darkness. Why are you afraid? Rune heard a soft whisper, like the wind in his ears. He knew that voice. The voice of the Reign. Rune dropped his head onto his knees.

“I’m afraid I’ll leave and never come back.” The soldier whispered. “Or they will hate me for abandoning them.”

You’re not abandoning them. Don’t you have faith? This is the path I chose you for, and though it will be difficult, I will be beside you through everything. Do you not trust me with your life?

The cybersoldier raised his head, tear-stained face turned to the expanse of water before him. His body stilled its trembling and his fists unclenched. Do I?

Are you doubting, young one?

Rune looked to the sky. “No. I do. I do trust you.”

Then act on it.

Then there was silence. Rune’s eyes fell on the silver band around his finger, then moved to the shimmering tattoo which shone boldly against his dark skin. He calmed himself, gathered his strength, and the weight of his fear off his shoulders. And he stood. And breathed. Like rain washing dirt off him, Reign’s presence swept over him and Rune could see again. He could see the hope he would give to hundreds, he saw himself as a Beacon to all; all for Reign’s glory and in His will.

February 23, 2023 00:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Listening to the Bible in a Year on Youtube, today I heard the name Lotan, and thought of you. How are you?

Reply

Creed .
22:16 Dec 07, 2023

I'm doing well! It's been a while since we talked. Man, this year has been crazy. What have you been doing? Are you looking forward to christmas? ;)

Reply

I participated in NaNoWriMo! Remember Sekk/Fixer from my little excerpt? A novel with him as one of the main characters is what I started for NaNo. Chad is the other main character. I got to 16,081 words. It's not finished, but in a little while I'm going to get back to serious work on it. I hope to finish the novel, Metanoia Parallax, before April. Do you know what "metanoia" and "parallax" mean? I'm so very pleased with the title! I know that you at least read my first dinosaur story, Tour Guide. I don't know if you read the four I wrote ...

Reply

Creed .
18:30 Dec 08, 2023

Cool! I have thought about participating, but always decided not to. Doesn't really seem like my kinda thing. Wow! 16 thousand words, that's pretty good! I did know what metanoia meant, but I had to look up parallax. That is an EPIC title! I'll try to read it for sure! I'm so excited! I ran out of money before getting everything I wanted for my family, but oh well... I'm hoping to get a really cool ring- I'm a fan of neat rings. What have you been doing for school lately? Anything interesting?

Reply

What kind of neat is the ring? Do you have a specific description, or is just "a cool ring"? For schoolwork, I'm learning about the history of the Chinese in the U.S. I'm reading an absolutely fascinating nonfiction book titled "Ghosts of Gold Mountain" by Gordon H. Chang. It's about how the Chinese helped to build the Transcontinental railroad. I'm hoping to write a story about them someday! What about you? Besides running out of Christmas shopping funds, what are you up to?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Creed! This was a nice second piece of the chapter. It's really sad to see Rune, Amarillius, Sharn, and Tycho so distraught. Leaving is what Rune promised to do, but it isn't what he wants. However, when he gets there, Clint and Keila will probably be waiting to welcome him! Unless they're coming later, or if they did get there first, Tyrene didn't think it was necessary to tell them Rune is still alive. That would be like him. I want to tell you I am sorry for being demanding before. That was really inconsiderate of me. This is y...

Reply

Creed .
20:48 Apr 28, 2023

Hey, sorry it took me so long to respond- I know I say that every time- thank you for your encouragement. About the teaser, it's alright. I completely understand- the reason I wasn't going to put the whole thing is because I don't want to be sucked back into this website. It's too addictive for me. But I completely forgive you! ;) About doulingo, yes I changed my name a while ago. The name was havahlavistababy- which originated from the summer camp I went to. There was a lady there who couldn't remember my name, so she started saying that t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.