30 comments

Fiction

I stepped inside the dusty and silent library, my big sister, Miranda was beside me but it didn’t change anything. I was scared, really scared and it made me want to cry. Miranda passed me a book. " Come on scaredy-cat.” She laughs. (I don’t want to be mean but when she laughs it’s like your next to a wicked witch cackling.) I told her I wanted to get out and Miranda sighs. “Listen Melanie, Mum left Me in charge not You, ok? 


I whimpered, immediately regretting it. Miranda had heard me. “Cry baby” she chanted. I am used to her aggravating me. She does it all the time. “STOP!” I shrieked. Before she could answer, I heard a chilling voice. 

“Be. Quiet.” 


Startling both me and Miranda, we slowly turned around. Behind us was someone who looked like an wicked witch. She laughed. ( Her laughs are creepier than Miranda’s, no lie.) " S-Sorry, " I manage to stammer. " Get out of my library and take the books with you.” She whispers. I prefer the “witch” yelling at me then whispering. I will give you the details of what she looked like:


1: She wore a black hat . 

2: She had black clothes.

3: At the back of the library she had a broomstick.

4: She had a black cat in a cage

5: She had a wart on her nose.


Truthfully, she looked like Nanny McPhee. At least she wasn’t going home with us to be our Nanny. 

“Miss,” I began nervously.

“Yes, what is it? Spit it out.” She snapped. 

“Don’t talk to my sister that way!” Miranda butted in, coming to my defence. “What I was going to say,” I began again,” Is that we are not taking books home. In fact we don’t even have library cards,” I lied. I nudged Miranda to get her in the lie to. “It’s true isn’t it Miranda?” She looked confused. “What? Oh yeah, we don’t have cards so we just read books here.”


“My dears,” The “witch” sneered.“I am letting you both take a book home. I quickly thought of another lie. “We are fine Miss, we really are. We don’t go to the library for books. We have plenty at home. We came here to see a new place we have never been to before. And we really are sorry for disturbing you.” I said it so hurriedly that it was easy to tell if I was lying. Obviously I was.


I looked at my watch. “Oh my! Look at the time, better go. Come on Miranda, we better get going.” It all happened so fast it was like it was a time lapse video. Well maybe not that fast. We raced all the way home desperately trying to get away from this horrid place. The next few seconds I didn’t quite understand. All I knew is that Miranda was going back to the library. Why was she going back to the Library you ask? I don’t know! Actually, I think I have just remembered. Oh yes, I do know. To get her backpack. I waited for what seemed like hours (It was actually minutes, but it felt like hours,) until Miranda came back. “You alright?” I asked, for the first time I was concerned for her, just because she went back to the creepy woman. “I am fine,” she answered, but then she says something strange. “Though, when I arrived she was looking in my backpack.” I froze in fear. “She wouldn’t do that.” I reasoned. " Unless she was putting something in or taking something out.” “Yeah, you’re right”said Miranda slowly. “How about we check when we get home.” I sighed, and answered“Good idea.”


When we got home I immediately asked to open her bag. “It won’t do any harm I suppose.” I opened the bag eagerly only to see a book. I felt my shoulders drooping. I thought it was to be exciting. “I am sorry.” Said Miranda gently. “I really am.”

I took the book upstairs and was about to start reading, when I decided I wanted to read it with Miranda. I called her upstairs too, and together we started to read. I felt myself drifting of to sleep. “Goodnight” whispered Miranda and then I fell asleep happily. 


I was walking on a beach happily humming to myself. I stopped to buy some ice cream and then I walked in the park licking my ice cream happily and then I saw Miranda. By now I had finished my ice cream and I ran up to her. I realised she was carrying the book from yesterday. “Miranda” I called out feeling happier then I had all day she turned to me with bloodshot eyes. “Come she said and I followed her she took me to a library and before I could relize what was going on she looked me in the eyes and said, “I’m sorry,” and then locked me in a cage. I sobbed, but she ignored me.


I woke up and to make sure I still wan’t in a dream I called. “Miranda”and I looked at the time. Eight forty eight. I stood up on wobbly legs and looked at my surroundings. I was in my bedroom. Miranda came in. “News,” she said and then told me. “The librarian, or witch as I call her, died over night. Apparently she gave every child that came to her library a book, and when the read it they fell asleep and never woke up. “That happened to me.” I said confused. “Well apart from the never waking up.” I was really puzzled. “Yes but you are special.” Miranda answered. “Especially to me. By the way, the librarian was a witch. Did you know that the reason why the witch died is because of a spell? If one child did wake up, (Which was ninety nine point nine percent not going to happen )then she would die. You saved lots of children you know. Well done!”


That day passed in a blur. When it was bedtime I was so sleepy I could not keep my head up. Miranda came in to my room. “Goodnight Melanie.” She said. “Goodnight.”

And off I drifted into a peaceful sleep.

April 25, 2021 00:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Arwen Dove
03:05 Apr 25, 2021

Great story Giselle! I love it!

Reply

05:43 Apr 25, 2021

Thanks I appreciate you. Your story’s are lovely. I have only read one but I know you are a good author

Reply

Arwen Dove
05:59 Apr 25, 2021

Thanks so much! That means so much to me!

Reply

06:06 Apr 25, 2021

😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ed .
02:13 Apr 25, 2021

WOW! that was a really good story!

Reply

05:42 Apr 25, 2021

😊 thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ryan LmColli
12:41 May 07, 2021

Great story Pls JOin This: https://www.guilded.gg/i/wEwWwYmE

Reply

21:07 May 15, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chase .
06:27 Apr 25, 2021

Nice story Giselle, keep up the good work!

Reply

21:58 Apr 25, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:34 Apr 25, 2021

😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:34 Apr 25, 2021

😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 19 replies
06:12 Apr 25, 2021

I think I Have just fixed the mistakes up cause I edited this book.

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:07 Apr 25, 2021

Sorry, there are a couple of repeating sentences and a couple of spelling mistakes.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.