3 comments

Science Fiction

Zizi Collar drummed her fingers on the glass dining table, strumming through the latest Magazine Online Weekly disk. The small, black portable disk looked like a small button, but projected a hazy blue light of typed slides Zizi scanned. She squinted at the photograph of Harley Edis, before shaking her head and swiping the visual away. The next slide was an article on model jet boots, with several photographs of the styles they came in, including one interesting video of a set of boots that changed into a pair of hot pink heels when you landed. Zizi nodded approvingly.


"Hey, Lexi?" she muttered. Instantly, a ball of violet light appeared a above the MOW hologram. If she looked closer, Zizi would see a silver ball with a violet colored liquid coursing through the sphere. "YES, Z-Z?" the ball answered.


Zizi grinned. "When will you able to hear my thoughts?" she asked the technology.


Lexi instantly responded in a roboty-like voice. "MY SUPERIORS ARE WORKING AS WE SPEAK. HOW CAN I HELP?"


Zizi licked her pink lips, using her fingers to zoom in on the video. She paused it as the brand and item name popped up.


"Lexi...," Zizi trailed off. "Okay. Add TECH LANCE morphing jet boots- in the shade of blue- to my FSS file, folder six, under early 3026 grabs." Zizi turned to Lexi, waiting.


The liquid inside the sphere blinked a lime green, and Zizi smiled. "TECH LANCE MORPHING BLUE JET BOOTS ADDED TO FUTURE SHOPPING SPREE FILE, FOLDER SIX, UNDER EARLY 3026 GRABS," Lexi replied, before asking, "ANYTHING ELSE, Z-Z?"


"No, I'm good. Thanks, Lexi. Raise a glass," Zizi said, returning her attention to the MOW slides. The sphere twirled from above, before moving to the wall ahead of Zizi and entering a small, glowing chamber in the wall, where the violet in the liquid of Lexi died out as the technology was engulfed in a bright neon glow of light.


Zizi flipped past the Deals on Meals slide, knowing it was nothing but swindlers trying to get your money-and anyway, the Collars had just gotten a food synthesizing drawer installed in their fridge, so there was no need to look for sales on food. Thinking about it, Zizi realized she was hungry. She stood up from her Dad's levitating adjustable comfort chair and walked out of his office. The chair behind her instantly transformed from a cushy leather chair into its signature plain white seat.


Zizi passed her mother in the hall, who was calling Aunt Maya through her phone ring and earring, and seemed very agitated. As her mother turned into the spare room, Zizi leaned against the wall to listen in on the conversation.


"No, no, Maya....the museum wants to do an exibhit on Chase Henson. Chase Henson! What? No, Maya, he's the one who invented the toilet that killed the president in 2038! Why do they want to do a project on that imbecile?" Zizi could practically see her mother ripping out her curls. She heard a sign and more talking. "Fine. Fine! But don't tell me that you don't agree. Anyway, have you met my friend Gonzo yet? Maya, I think he'll be perfect for you..."


Zizi stopped listening and couldn't help but chuckle to herself. Her mother couldn't have been more right. Chase Henson? He was a laugh! The one who brought nothing to history except a dead president! The museum wanted to do something on him? That'd be the day!


Zizi sighed happily and continued down the hall. She tugged on her white headband, stretching it out as she turned into the kitchen.


The room was all white, with a giant marble counter top floating in the middle of the room, a gigantic fridge and freezer, and a large sink. The only cabinets in the room were lined under the counter top and sink, and that was where her mother kept the MAID controls and where the MAIDS kept their cleaning supplies.


A red door marked Pantry was opposite of the fridge, right next to a small counter space with a coffee maker resting on top. Zizi made for the pantry and stepped inside, looking around. The whole thing looked like a life size vending machine, except with no glass, operation panels or take-out port. The walls were stocked full with food.


A small sensor beeped as Zizi enter, and a tube bordering the top and bottom of the pantry walls lit up a violet color. "HELLO, Z-Z," a voice similar to Lexi said. "WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE?"


"I'm..in the mood for some Raquin Jupiter chips, salt and pospe, and a Capri-sun," Zizi stated, nodding.


The light consuming the tubes flashed, and a bag of Salt and Pospe Raquin Jupiter chips was pushed out and fell off a shelf. A floating white table with the same violet light around it moved to the chips and caught them before they hit the ground. "This never gets old," Zizi smiled as she watched the Capri-Sun fall and land on the table.


The white surface moved toward Zizi, offering her her goods. Zizi took them and tapped the table twice before exiting the room. The moving furniture moved back and set itself against the pantry door as it closed.


Zizi set her food on the counter and rested her head in her palms, thinking. "I wonder what it was like in the past..."


Just then, there was a bang, and a bright flash of light. Zizi screamed and ducked under the counter top as a few pieces of the roof fell into the kitchen. The air became dusty, and a few strange red rectangles fell into her kitchen. Zizi eyed them curiously. They looked like something out of historical fiction movie.


Suddenly, Zizi heard a moan come from under some of the roof. She cowered under the counter top, grabbing one of the red objects and holding it up. The item had a rough texture that scraped her hands. Zizi looked at it, wondering if it was a worthy weapon, and then jerked her head toward the rubble as a hand emerged. She gripped the brick tighter and watched as the person began to come out of the debris.


It was a boy who couldn't have been older than her. He had messy sandy hair streaked with black ash, and a now beat up striped shirt on. He looked like something out of a historical fiction movie.


The boy looked around the kitchen in alarm. "Where am I?" He asked loudly. Zizi squinted at him, swearing she had seen the boy before.


Then it hit her. The boy!


He was Chase Henson.

* * * * *

Okay, so I have no idea where I am. I landed in some weird outlandish place, and all I see around me is white. White white white white white. At first, I feel like I'm in a doctor's office. Like, what the heck? Then I see a fridge, and I'm thinking, oh God, I'm starving.

Now, I'm curious as to who the girl under the floating counter top is. She has short black hair and a pink stripe through it. Also, she's wearing all white. With the exception of a blue belt and rainbow boots. Now I'm thinking, who the heck is this? But she kind of looks like that merchant I met a few months ago. The one who sold me those amazing blueprints and the ring I'm currently wearing.

"Who the heck are you?" she asks. But she looks like she already knows.

I wrinkle my nose. "Who are you?" I ask, emphasizing the 'you'. "Where am I?" I ask again.

"You're in Carmen Hots," she says carefully, standing up. Now I see a brick in this girl's hand. What the heck? Do chicks around here normally hold bricks in a threatening manner with guests? I know I can't curse, but what the hell is going on here?

All I remember is-

Oh no.

The ring!

That merchant sold me that ring! Holy Mother of God! It can't be! He said it may let you know more than you wanted to-did he mean he future? Was it true?

I look at the bricks around me. I was just at the movies with Louie and Marsha and Tyler. Shoot! Is that where the bricks are from?

Let's see, I was rubbing the ring after that sci-fi movie, thinking of the future-

Oh God.

Now I'm in it!

I don't know whether to be super excited, super freaked out or any thing else. But what if I'm not in the future?

I look at the place and girl in front of me. I'll take my chances.

"When am I?" I ask.

The girl nods toward a calendar on the fridge. "It's July, 3026."

I nod. "Soooo........," I start awkwardly. "Uh, you-you can put the brick down, y'know."

The girl gives me a dirty look and clenches a fist. I gulp. Then she pointed it a few inches away from the brick, and a weird blue light came out of a big silver ring on her middle finger. The best way to say it would be to say the ring 'scanned' or 'analyzed' the brick. Then a thing of numbers and words and pictured appeared over the brick, and I jump back. I rub my eyes and look back. The girl is reading the weird hologram thingy and scrolling through it, using her finger like a mouse on a computer. Okay, now I think I'm in the future. The date didn't really do it for me.

The girl finally drops the brick, and the hologram thing disappeared. She glares at me and stands up, crossing her arms. I can see the corners of her mouth twitch as she surveys me from my head to my black Converse.

"Okay, um-"

"You're Chase Henson," the girl says. My eyes bug from my head. How does she know that? Isn't this how all horror movies start?

"You're the one who killed the 49th president of the United States."

"Um, what?" I ask. I'm still in disbelief that this girl knows my name. What did she, scan me too? It's enough that I'm in the future, but now I killed a president?

I don't believe her. I wrinkle my brow and squint at the girl. I mean, she's unearthly! I'm waiting to see the hologram fizzle out and a weird purple alien with three small webbed feet, a blaster and thirty-six eyes to start speaking to me in the ancient alieny Craw language, but it doesn't happen.

So maybe this girl is really a human?

I shake my head, trying to clear my thoughts. I look to my right and metaphorically jump out of my pants. There is a large window looking out onto Cameron Cold or whatever this place is called. And, oh my God, I realize I really am in the future. All the facts have pointed that way, but I didn't really believe it- or want to believe it- until now.

Apparently, we're in a house, not a hospital. I can see everything going on outside, and the thing that changes my mind is the transportation.

First, I assume we're on the ground floor close to the highway, because I see these very advanced-looking cars zooming by. then I realize they have no tires, they have sonic jets in the back, and they are flying. Then, not only do I realize there are flying cars, but I also can see the sun. It has some pink and green spots and slashes, and a lightning bolt seems to be shooting out of it and connecting to some kind of modern power plant. Also, nothing is made of brick or wood. The city's made of metal and some other material I've never seen before. I can also see rockets flying around space, even though it's only like four in the afternoon.

I turn back to the girl in awe. "..you live here?"

She nods, eyes wide. After a moment, she extends her hand. She's wearing white fishnet finger less gloves, and her nails are painted yellow.

"Zizi Collar," she states. I shake her hand.

"...and you already now me," I say. I walk past her and press my hands on the counter, trying to push it down. It's like trying to move an elephant into a truck. Ain't gonna happen.

"Sooo...how do you know me again?" I ask, turning back to Zizi. She pushes back her hair and looks to the ground, a small smile implanted on her face.

"Well, Mr Henson, you are most notable for killing the President Stephen Stark in 2041. Your invention killed him, and you went down," Zizi explained.

I shake my head. "Okay, hold it. What do you mean?"

Zizi laughs. "Chase Henson invented the 'Abracadabra' toilet. One day, President Stark sat on it, and...." Zizi claps her hands and put a fist in one, shrugging her shoulders. "...the rest is history. You're the biggest slug to ever make it to the history books next to Marcia Long and Al Capone."

I suddenly feel anger and annoyance pooling up inside me. Also, who the heck is Stephen Stark? A new Marvel character? "Okay, how do you even know who Al Capone is? That is literally, like, a million years ago now, right?" I say sarcastically, red rushing to my cheeks.

"Chase, you've been dead for close to forty years. It has been a while, but soon we'll be history too. So...we learn like all," Zizi says, shrugging again. I suddenly lunge toward her.

"You mean to say," I start, my voice dangerously low. "...that I'm in the history books, not because I saved a president, but because my amazing environment saving toilet KILLED ONE?!!? THAT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!!" My voice raises to a yell. I'm hovering over Zizi, who back away and nods.

"Wait, how do you know it was eco-saving?" Zizi suddenly asks. I stop.

"I already made the toilet. Half a year ago, actually. That's in 2021," I say. "A merchant came to me-he was dressed a lot like you- and sold me this ring and the idea (aka blueprints). Wait, was he from the future?"

Zizi suddenly looks startled. "I-there's.......he must have been! Even these suits are new, we only started wearing them a year ago!" she exclaims. "But if you changed history, why hasn't the future changed?" she inquires.

I could feel my anger rising again. "So, you're saying a guy from the future came to the past, gave me my idea, and had me make it, what, thirty years earlier than it should have been made? I'd say its like Hulk's theory in Endgame, y'know, about changing the past doesn't affect the future, all that jazz-"

"CHASE!" Zizi calls desperately.

I turn to her. "WHAT?!?" I yell. "It's not like we can do anything!!!"

"What do you mean?" Zizi asks.

"I made the toilet and sold it!!" I say. "I'm going to serve twice as long in jail!!!"

"Why?" Zizi asks.

" Zizi, I'm already in the history books as a laugh because I quote on quote 'killed' one president!!! Now two?!" I groan. "This isn't how I was going to be remembered!!"

"WHAT?" Zizi looks confused.

I clench my fists and turn to her. I shout because I can't hold it in any longer. "'Cause I gave one to President Gome already!!!!!"





September 02, 2020 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

17:41 Sep 24, 2020

Hey, Lindsey would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mustang Patty
12:46 Sep 07, 2020

Wow - talk about a futuristic, funny story. I love the use of the falling toilet to kill - very reminiscent of the show, 'Dead Like Me.' I have to point out that the countertop is all one word. Besides that driving me crazy, I really liked the story. Just a few techniques I think you could use to take your writing to the next level: READ the piece OUT LOUD. You will be amazed at the errors you will find as you read. You will be able to identify missing and overused words. It is also possible to catch grammatical mistakes – such as m...

Reply

12:57 Sep 08, 2020

Thanks so much for your feedback!! I will definitely use it in the future and check out your site! Thanks!! -Lindsey S.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.