2 comments

Crime Drama Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

It's a sunny day. Barely a cloud in sight. Our character was roaming the streets of Dollenville, a small town which was not that well known to the outside world. 

The people walking by paid no attention to him. Some even avoided him. 

He was just too..happy. 

The town was not the best place in the world. 

There were barely any laws. People were getting murdered, kidnapped, or robbed around every corner.

Yet anytime you striked a conversation with him, he always found a way to look towards the bright side of things. 

¨Excuse me sir! But could you tell me the time?¨

He asked the person standing on the sidewalk, waiting to cross the street. They glanced up from their phone, with a blank look on their face. ¨No.¨ They simply said before looking back down at their phone. 

¨Oh- oh okay! That's completely fine you're probably in a rush as well! My name is Billium! But you can call me Billy!¨ Billium introduced himself, holding out his hand for the other to shake. But they just remained staring at their phone. Not even acknowledging Billy´s existence. 

¨What's your name?¨ He asked, trying to keep the conversation a float. 

The stranger let out an annoyed sigh, finally looking up from their phone and making direct eye contact with him. Yet he just stared for a moment. Billy stared back, with a friendly look and soft smile.

Two complete opposite personalities.

¨Joseph.¨ The stranger mumbled out, finally breaking eye contact to check and see if the road was clear enough to walk through yet. 

¨Joseph! What a nice name! You look great! Are you going to a party?¨ Bilium asked, smiling slightly more at finally getting a bit of acknowledgement from the other. ¨No. I am going to work. At that big building right there.¨ He said, pointing up lazily at a tall building behind a bunch of apartments. ¨Ohhh! That's cool too! Working hard, and making money for the family!¨ Billy says, clapping his hands slightly to show enthusiasm. 

¨I do not have a family. I´m a divorced 25 year old who works at a tax place, sitting still for 6 hours a day. Every day. Now if you'll excuse me. Billium. I will be going.¨ Joseph says, doing a small salute and held a fake smile before walking off into the road, quickly getting lost in the waves of traffic. 

Billy didn't give up that easily though.

That was the first time anyone had spoken to him in a month! Let alone acknowledged his existence! ¨Hey! Wait up!¨ Billium yelled out, swiftly making his way through the active traffic. Noticeably, Joseph sped up. Walking just a tad bit quicker to attempt to get away. 

Billy took this as a little game of tag, instead of a chase. Soon enough, Joseph had to come to a stop, much to his disappointment, billium was right there behind him. ¨That was fun! I won though, better luck next time friend!¨ He says happily as he pats Joseph's shoulder. Joseph lets out a very annoyed sigh, dragging his hand down his face. 

¨Yeah. Yeah..actually. Billium. Can I ask you something?¨ He says, turning around and facing the shorter one behind him. ¨Wassup?¨ Billy answers, smiling widely at the fact the other actually decided to speak to him again. ¨Why are you..so different. Soooo- happy.¨ He simply  asked, clasping his hands together and staring billy down. ¨Oh! Well that's simple! I just always look at the bright side of things! If everyone was the same, nothing would be fun! And I mean- soon enough, other people will start looking towards happy stuff! Then there wouldn't be a need for sadness!¨ Billium explained, barely being able to contain his energy. '..such a child..’Joseph would think to himself. ¨You know what? Come with me. Let's go walk around. I wanna explain some things to you. Bud.¨Joseph steps forward, placing his hand onto billiums shoulder and starts walking, Billy quickly walking after him. ¨Wow! This is like- the first time anyone's actually wanted to talk to me this much! You're like- my dad! Well- that's kinda strange- your like- my best friend!¨ Billy rambled on as Joseph just nodded, straining a smile as he walked purposefully past an alleyway, slowing down his pace which also caused the other to slow down. Joseph nudged him slightly to look over. Down the alley were two men in the middle of a knife fight. One being on top of the other, repeatedly shanking the other below him. This caused Billy to let out an audible gasp. ¨Tell me. Billium. What do you think is the bright side of this small situation right here?¨ Joseph says, a small smirk placing itself on his lips as he watches the other try to sputter out a reason. ¨..well-well maybe they were defending someone! What if one of them were a bad person- whooo was robbing them! Self defense!¨ Billy says confidently, nodding with a smile. Joseph's smile faded away, looking quite annoyed as he rolled his eyes and continued walking. 

About a few hours passed. Joseph being determined to find a way to make the smaller crack. To open his eyes and see the real world. Soon enough, they decided to go on a little walk through the woods. The older being fairly familiar with the path. A smile crept its way onto his face as he made the both of them crouch down behind a bush. ¨Watch closely now.¨ He whispered, motioning to the figures in front of them. Well..figure. They were carrying a limp body on their shoulder towards the river which was a few steps in front of them. They lowered the body down into what looked like a trash bag, and tied it up. Billy's face lost all color as he watched in horror. Joseph on the other hand, looked quite amused. They picked the bag up, and tossed it into the river. They whipped off some remaining blood off their shoulder before pulling out yet another bag, and sat down beside it.  ¨I-..I..why..?¨ Billium mumbled out, looking up at the older. ¨See? Life isn't always..puppys..and rainbows..you can't trust anyone.¨ Joseph says, smiling down at him. Billy looked away, tears forming in the corners of his eyes before he slowly nodded. ¨I..I suppose..¨ He says quietly. ¨Wait..why is-¨ Billium got cut off, he noticed his breath shortening. He looked down at a sudden sharp pain in his chest. ¨Like I said..you can't trust..anyone.¨ Billiums hands were flooded red as he fell to the ground, tears streaming down his face. The grass became stained with his blood as Joseph stood up, brushing his knees off. He looked at his wrist, checking the time. ¨Just in time.¨ He mumbled out before spinning around, and walking away. Billium sat there, bleeding out, crying and trying to call for help, before being picked up, and laid to rest, drifting down the river.

November 19, 2021 16:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eric Holdorf
16:55 Nov 28, 2021

I like the simplicity of the story, however, it reads like a rough draft. For instance, Billium is spelled three different ways: Billium, billium, Billiums. You'll need consistency to keep the reader interested. To make your story read more smoothly for the reader, you should set off each sentence spoken by a character with quotations at the beginning and the end of each speech. Also, the plot seems questionable as Joseph was only interested in getting to work, but then he doesn't go to work and spends the day with Billium. Why would ...

Reply

Panda Havens
16:38 Dec 09, 2021

That´s so true! Thank you for the feedback i´ll definitely work on those! This story was heavily rushed so I just put my idea out there and did not look over it to much but thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.