1 comment

Romance Drama High School

“This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives,” I called out from the stage putting my hand on my heart, before I could say my next line I was interrupted.

“Cut, cut, cut! Isabella what was that? You just learned your sister is dying. Put more emotion into it! Tomorrow is opening night. Get it together people!” 

I rolled my eyes and flipped back in my script, “Mother what happened? This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives! Not the last.” I forced a tear and let out a sob, I let my legs give out to emphasize the point. I looked to Mr. Gendiric and he nodded at me.

 Mark who plays my husband ‘John’ ran onto the stage, “Oh Mary, it will be okay.”

 He lent me a hand to pull me up, I went to reach but then Mr. Gendiric yelled again, “Mark your wife is crying on the ground. Her only sibling is being carried away on a stretcher basically dead. Show more empathy! Come on we have been working on this for weeks!” 

I slapped my script down on the floor and laid down on my back, “Mark can’t show empathy. I don’t know why you casted him.” 

“Hey I am a good actor it’s not my fault you aren’t selling the grieving wife!” 

“She isn’t confirmed dead yet you dimwit.” 

His knuckles flushing white which I knew all too well meant he was going to punch something. I quickly got up to put some space between us. I looked to the audience hoping someone would intervene and I saw someone running towards the stage. He jumped onto it with little effort and stood in front of me, blocking most of me from Marks view, “Mark chill out man.” 

He continued walking towards us, “She just insulted me. I’ve been acting for the past 10 years alright. She just showed up last year and got the main female lead, she is nothing compared to me alright Ace.” 

He is right I did just join theater club last year but I think I have some talent. I just keep my head down hoping Ace stays in front of me. 

Finally, Mr. Gendiric lifts his eyes off the script to see what was happening, “Ace what are you doing on the stage your supposed to be picking up trash for detention.” He nodded but didn’t move. Mr. Gendiric rolled his eyes, “Alright I see there is some tension with the cast so we are done for the day, you all better be here a couple hours earlier tomorrow so we can get this down before the show.” With this Mark finally walked away and I let a breath I didn’t know I was keeping.

 Ace turned around, “Wow you sure got a mouth on you.” 

I just nodded and walked away. I pulled out my phone to call my older brother, “Hey Miguel practice got done early can you come pick me up?” 

I could hear talking and the sound of pool tables in the background, “Sorry Isabella I’m busy you said 8 its only 6.” He then abruptly ended the call and I plopped down so I was sitting on the curb of the road. Cars fly past as the sun slowly starts fading in front of me. I check the time, “8:37” I roll my eyes and dial Miguel’s number again but it went straight to voicemail. By now the streetlamps are lit and the car lights look like blurs. My mother works in the next town over and doesn’t like me walking home but she can never pick me up, Miguel is my ride. I tried his number once more but I just hear his god-awful voicemail again, “Yo its Miguel why you calling me, Freak.” I just start heading towards the direction of home when the sound of the school doors slamming shut had me turning around. I expected one of the teachers who stay out late but I was met by Ace. I quickly turned around hoping I wouldn’t have to endure an awkward conversation.

I speed up my walking but then, “Hey, Isabella wait up.” I sigh and turn back to him. He jogs up to me, “Hey why are you still here didn’t practice end hours ago?” 

I nodded, “Ya but my idiot brother told me he would pick me up at 8 but he never showed so I am just going to walk.” 

He grabbed my arm, “I can give you a ride on my bike if you would like?” 

I raised my eyebrows, “Bike like a bicycle with pedals? I don’t think that would work.” 

His face brightened before a laugh came out, “No not a bicycle, my motorcycle.” 

My eyes widened, “Um, I don’t have a helmet.” 

“You can just use mine. It’s better to come with me than walk in the dark.” 

I eventually gave in and walked with him to the parking lot. His bike was in the back-right corner. It looked more like a dirt bike but he assured me it’s just sleek and slim. Which he added, “Which makes it go fast.” He handed me his helmet and tightened the chin strap so it would fit me better. He then flipped one leg over with ease and was sitting on it, “Okay hop on.” 

I just stood there looking from him to the bike, “I don’t know how.” 

He smiled then hoped off and took me by the waist and lifted me off the ground and onto the seat. He then hoped back on, “Okay hold on.” I didn’t move so he then took my hands and placed them around his waist, “Now hold on okay. You can’t be banged up for your show tomorrow.” 

I smiled and held on tighter, “Are you going to come watch?” 

He kicked his kickstand and revved his engine, “Of course.” 

We swerved through lanes and I’ve never felt this free. It was probably the adrenaline but I loved it. We made it to my house and Ace got off first and lifted me onto the ground. I went to unlock the chin strap but he did it instead. He pulled off the helmet, “See you tomorrow Isabella.” He put the helmet on himself and sped off before I could even say bye. 

The practice before opening night was very hectic, everyone was scrambling to get everything perfect. I rehearsed my few lines in the mirror but then the dread words came from Mr. Gendiric, “One minute to curtain! Places! Places!”

 I rushed to the stage. I flattened my dress and took a couple deep breathes. And the curtain was drawn. This play is about how my sister’s wedding is crashed by a serial killer and she gets stabbed. I stumble back onto the stage, “Mother what happened? This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives! Not the last.” My knees buckle and I fall to the ground. 

Mark ran onto the stage, “Mary, oh my god. I’m so sorry.” He put an arm around me and actually played the part of a husband showing empathy. The other actors put Elisa on a stretcher, she was the hurt bride. Mark lifted me up and shoved my face in his chest. I started fake crying some more. The scene changed and we were now in a hospital scene. I was supposed to be sleeping on Marks lap when a nurse came into the scene. “I’m sorry they tried to stop the bleeding they even made it to the operating room but by the then it was too late. I’m sorry she’s gone.” I get up from his lap and rub my eyes, “But by then it was too late? What happened?” 

Mark leans down to me, “Your sisters gone, I’m sorry.” I burst out in tears and then the curtain closes. I hear cheering and clapping coming from the audience. I hurry up and get off Marks lap so we can go bow in front of the curtain. Me and my fellow castmates link hands and bow for the crowd. I look to the two seats I saved for my mom and brother but they were empty. My smile flatters but then I hear a really loud whistle and look to the back of the room. Ace. He was whistling and clapping with the biggest smile I’ve ever seen him have, “Woo go Isabella. Wooo.” My smile fly’s back up and I fight off a blush. We make our way backstage to finish cleaning up and celebrate. Usually our family comes back and we are gifted with flowers but I knew not to expect that. I picked up a few confetti pieces when someone grabs my shoulder. I flip around hoping it’s not Mark, he seemed angry once we got off the stage. But instead there was a banquet of flowers. My scared face turns into a bright smile, “Hi, Ace.” 

He smiles and hands me the bouquet, “For you, you did great.” 

I took the flowers and my eyes started to water, “Thanks Ace this means a lot.” 

He went to say something again but Mark came up from being him and shoved him into me crushing the flowers. I stumble back and drop the flowers. The petals were all crushed and broken. I looked down and I couldn’t hold back the tears I was keeping in. Ace looks at my face and I see something change in his eyes. He turns back to Mark, “Mark what the hell is your problem man. I tried playing nice but you’re getting on my nerves.” 

He scuffs, “You were in my way. Isabella over here ruined my chances of getting the job of my dreams. There were producers in the audience and they didn’t even come up to me.” 

I just look at the petals, the one thing someone has given me in a long time. Its ruined. Ace puts a protective arm around my waist, “She was amazing maybe your just really bad.” Ace starts pulling me so I’m behind him. They start arguing louder and louder but I just look at the flower petals on the ground. The sound of a fist connecting to a jaw makes me look up. Mark was passed out on the floor and Ace takes my face in his hands, “You’re a wonderful actress. Let’s go get you some new flowers.” I nod and he wipes the few stray tears from my face. He takes my hand but I lean down and pick up one flower that was still intact. He smiles and our fingers intertwine. While walking to his motorcycle I think about everything I was told growing up. You shouldn’t fall in love with a bad boy, then Ace leans down and kisses my forehead. By then it was too late. 

November 20, 2020 19:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Chris Wagner
03:58 Dec 24, 2020

The play was an interesting framing device. Near the end, I thought there was going to be a motorcycle accident and she'd finally have that dramatic empathy the producer wanted, but the way you wrote it was good too. My main complaint was the punctuation. There should have been commas in a lot of places, and then you wrote "fly's" , which really distracted me. But besides that, the writing, the dialog was good. I really got a feel for the characters, and the setup for the punch at the end

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.