0 comments

Adventure Inspirational

I never really got along with my family as a child. I guess that's true of most kids, but my situation was different. My family didn't understand. They said I had delusions of grandeur from an incredibly early age.

I was one of the youngest of an exceptionally large family. I had 11 brothers and at least one sister. She later got into some trouble, but that's a story for another time. No doubt, one of the reasons I had trouble at home was because my father had two wives and a couple of concubines. Yes, it was a different time...I have many stories to tell.

My father treated me special because I was the son of his favorite wife, the one he loved most. That was already a bone of contention. But to make matters worse, he had a special garment made for me, it was multi-colored, and I wore it wherever I went.

Then there were my dreams. My dreams repeatedly showed that sometime in the future, they would all bow down to me. I know, delusions of grandeur! Looking back, I could have kept the dream to myself, but something forced me to share with the family. This just gave my brothers fresh reasons to hate me.

And then I dreamt about my parents, represented by the sun and moon. They would also join in this reverential treatment, adding fuel to the fire. Even my loving father rebuked me for it. Why couldn't I keep my mouth shut?

It all came to a head when I went to give a message to my brothers working far away from home. I could see them whispering as I approached but thought nothing of it. But the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when they surrounded me...

I knew my brothers didn't like me, but outright hatred? This vitriol was completely unexpected! Their shouts flooded into my ears, crowding out my thoughts. I'll never forget their words: "Let's kill him, then we'll see what becomes of his dreams!" One voice did stand out, that of my oldest brother, "He is our brother, do not spill blood!" There was hope.

It all happened so fast. Before I knew it, they stripped my special robe off me. It's amazing the things you think of as your life flashes before your eyes. That is a real thing, your entire life flashes before your eyes when you think you're going to die.

My mind paused on the scene when my father first gave me the multi-colored robe. I felt so proud. My eyes brimmed with tears of gratitude; I was being singled out among my brothers. Now, all I could see was the once beautiful robe in tatters.

My bones ached from the fall. I had no idea water pits were that deep. I had only seen them from above and used them to gather rainwater for our flocks. I never imagined that one would someday be my grave!

From down inside the pit, I could still hear them plotting and scheming. Most of my brothers were content to kill me or at least leave me here for dead. Then one of them had an idea. They would sell me into slavery. Slavery! Away from my home and family to a distant land. How my family hated me, I had to work hard not to return the same feelings.

I heard the goat bleat its last. This wasn't the first time I'd heard an animal die. We slaughtered them for food and sacrifice. But this time was different. This time, I shared its same fate. I heard my brothers say, "Let's drench his special robe in the goat's blood. Then our father will have to think a wild beast must have torn him to pieces!" How their hatred had manifested itself!

I reflected on their violent actions. I had many years to dwell on how they had treated me in such a calloused way. And this one act led to even more hard times for me...perhaps someday someone will write my story in its entirety.

I must admit it wasn't all bad. I enjoyed my time in the Egyptian household. My diligence was rewarded as I ran the entire household.

Until I was falsely accused of rape! That's right, the master's wife screamed and said that I had tried to rape her when she tried to entice me. Believe it or not, it was no real temptation. Her actions went against everything that I learned growing up! Sibling rivalry and hatred persisted in my home. Still, we learned the sacredness of marriage.

Of course, my master believed his wife. So, they threw me into prison. After years in that wretched hole, my fortune changed again for the better.

During an amazing course of events, I was elevated to a remarkably high position in the government. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was second only to the Pharaoh. This is when all my dreams came back to me. Due to a devastating famine, people from all over came to Egypt. Why? Because of my careful administering of things, we had plenty of food.

People from my home country also came for food. My own brothers, now all grown up with families of their own, came for food. And they came to me. They bowed down to me, just as I had dreamed about so long ago.

I wanted to be angry with them. My imperfect feelings wanted to rally against them and take vengeance. But once again, I'm reminded of the teachings of my father. My mind drifted back to our family gatherings around the fire. We learned how our ancestors' faith and obedience was rewarded and our promise of a grand future.

These were the thoughts that guided me as I revealed my identity to my 11 brothers. I appreciated them all the more. All the pain of the past years disappeared. And all I could think of was seeing my beloved father once again.

November 28, 2020 04:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.