The End of Flames

Written in response to: Start or end your story with a house going up in flames.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Drama Thriller

"I knew this was going to happen"

"I suppose I've just been waiting for it to... to well happen"

"Miss, please don't say that. It's a serious accusation," the policeman says.

I look away for what's left of my burnt house and at the ignorant officer. "I know it is, and it's true!" I shout.

"Miss, I know you've been through a lot tonight, but we need a straight story."

"I gave you one! I was coming back from a Christmas party when I turned onto my street and saw my house up in flames!  As I pulled over I saw Seth running away!" I explain for the 100th time.

"But you said you couldn't see the culprit's face. You're just assuming it was this Seth fellow."

"It was him! It has to be! He's been after me for years!" I say.

"For what? You need to give us a reason to look into this guy. We can't go around arresting innocent people," the officer tells me.

"You know what I'm done. This is pointless," I say as I walk away.

"Miss! You can't leave if what you say is true. This is a crime scene!"

"Yeah, that's why I'm a detective," I say flashing my badge.

The office is frozen with his mouth open. Haha, that's what I thought. I don't usually give away my true Identity. Especially when I'm on a mission undercover. But, I need this guy to get off my back.

I'm about to get into my car when I remember it's not mine. Woops, I don't need another target on my back. I only borrowed it. Sure, I had to hotwire it, but I had every intention of giving it back. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen to from me. Hopefully, the officers will return it to its rightful owner. Instead, I walk around my demolished house to the forest behind it. I've cut through the forest many times. I know every path in it.

I have nothing but the clothes on my back. Everything else was burnt. I slip my fingers through my pockets. I take out some money. It's no more than 40 bucks. I have some chapstick, my ID's, phone, keys. Crap, I didn't mean to keep the keys. I throw the keys with as much power as I can muster in the direction of my house, or should I say yard. Hopefully, an officer will find them. I reach into my jacket. At least I still have my gun.

-----

"Blair. Did you get him?"

"No, he wasn't even at the Christmas party," I say into my phone. "The Bastard was too busy burning my house down!"

"He did what?" Jack yells.

"Yeah, while I was at the Christmas party waiting for him. Ready to take him down, he tried to burn me in my sleep!"

"Well, do you know where he is now?"

"Yeah. I think I have a good idea," I tell him.

"Ok, then I'll let you go, Detective Evens," Jack says.

"Copy that Director," I say, hanging up. I hate that he calls my Evens. It’s my “married name” . I'm trying to change that.

"Here I come, Seth."

"Here I fucking come."

-------

I walk into the sewer. Grose I know but if he's still in this town he'll be here. We used to always meet here. It was our place. No one else ever came down here. I switch my gun from my coat to the back of my pants. Easier access.

"Hello, Blair"

I turn around in the sewer to see... HIM.

"Seth," I say with emotion for the man I once loved. The man I still share the same last name with. He was my partner in the FBI. My best friend. How could this be my life now? Running after him for the past two years because he was faking everything. His job, his loyalties, his friendship, his love.

"It's been too long. How are you?" He asks with a fake grin.

"Oh, just great. Even better now that I'm with you," I say sarcastically.

"I'm so glad," he says, rolling his eyes. "Now I want to apologize for everything. This isn't who I am. It's isn't who you married."

"No shit. I never would have if I knew who you really are"

"That's what I'm saying, this isn't me. It looks bad because I had to lie. But it doesn't have to be this way. We can work together. You would be a great addition to my company," he says.

"Are you crazy? After everything you put me through you want me back? In your dreams!" I shout.

"But I love you. Don't you love me?"

I look around trying not to cry. I won't let him see. I won't give him the satisfaction. "There was a time when I thought I didn't..."

He looks up at me hopeful. Full of FAKE love. "But that time is long gone," I say, shattering his fake love.

"I tried..." he mutters.

"You what?" I ask.

"I TRIED!" he screams, pulling out his gun. I step back trying to put some distance between us even though distance means nothing to a gun.

"What are you talking about? You tried what?"

"I tried to make you join us but you're too stubborn," He says pausing to load his gun. "You're too valuable to be working against us. I was ordered to kill you if you choose incorrectly," he says pointing his gun at me. "We could have been great again," he starts to say. But I'm not listening. I reach for my gun in the back of my pants.

"But, you can’t get over the past. Can you Blair?" he continues. I don't respond as I tighten my grip on my gun.

"Sorry, Blair. It didn't have to end this way," he says, beginning to raise his gun with an evil smile.

I put on a smile to match his. "I'm not," I say before pulling out my gun. Before he can comprehend what's happening I pull the trigger.

He is gone.

He's finally gone.

August 25, 2021 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.