0 comments

Fiction

Mel knelt, exposing her knees to a collection of sharp rocks, dried twigs and leaves, but she barely noticed the attack on her exposed skin. She shivered slightly. The air around her seemed to shimmer with the mist, made even more eerie by the first few bursts of morning light. It was silent and there was no distinct smell, but the frigid air still felt prominent in her nostrils. She could not stay long. In a few hours, the sunlight could be blisteringly dangerous. But her ripped shorts and thin, loose jersey would be better for those conditions. She looked up at the lone, broad tree which stood contemptuously before her. That’s if a tree could even stand that way, she thought. Perhaps she had just associated the emotion with it herself.

She took some items out of her backpack. First was the small garden spade. Next was the novel, 1984. She flipped through the pages and paused for a moment to feel the material. She looked up at the tree briefly.

“Sorry,” she said, and diverted her eyes away from the almost bare branches. They seemed to stare at her. She paused again and shook her head. Trees can’t stare she thought, flitting her eyes around the bottom of the trunk, avoiding the branches. She came upon a spot a few metres away from it, where grass had forsaken the soil. It was wide enough for the capsule and she'd only have to ensure that the hole was sufficiently deep. She took a page out of the backpack, laying it on the book and beginning to write.


My name is Melanie.

I am writing from the year 2081 and the world is crumbling. Climate change, corrupt governments and organizations have driven the planet to a breaking point. I have left a few items in this capsule relating to this for future generations.

First is the novel 1984, one of my favourites. I believe it shows the danger of an all-powerful governing force. The way we, as humans, can manipulate, brainwash and take advantage of each other.

Next is an album of photos. An old-school touch. It has some of the most amazing natural views that once existed. Our planet was beautiful but the elements have reclaimed this from us.

The last item is a necklace of peace and love which my.mother gave to me years ago. She has since died. It reminds me of her a lot.

Perhaps I may come back for it one day. For me it represents unity. We war with nature, forgetting we're part of it. If anyone discovers this in the future, I hope they appreciate it.


I hope that future is better.

-      Melanie


The sun had dissipated the mist and the cold with it. The horizon had become clearer, revealing a kilometre of patchy, struggling grass which stretched around her. At rare intervals, there were fallen tree trunks, or bare stumps left where their bodies had been taken for wood. She placed the items in the capsule and began to dig. The ground was harder than she expected. It seems it had been hardened by the sun, concretized to resist her efforts. The garden spade poked at the spot futilely, only loosening small clumps at a time. After a few minutes she paused, beginning to feel the perspiration building at the back of her neck. She looked past the tree, noting the position of the sun in the sky. She rose, retrieving a bottle of water from her bag and took a few sips. There was still enough time, she thought, and leaned against the trunk for a few minutes.

Mel recommenced digging with the garden spade, but was again making little progress. She released an exasperated sigh, then began to violently rake at the ground with her fingers. She paused after a few seconds, realizing it had been more effective, then continued. She felt the dirt collecting under her nails and the tips of her fingers blistering. But she didn’t care. She continued like this for a while, her body now soaked in sweat. She felt the uncomfortable squishiness of it as her hands rubbed against her body. The hole was almost deep enough now and she paused again for a few more sips of water and rest. The liquid had become warm, and it barely felt quenching to her dry throat.

Her digging was slower now. The overhead sun seemed to leech energy from her hands and reflect it back at her as heat. The heat was omnipresent and omnipotent. It seemed to encapsulate her like an annoying itch all over her body. Relentless. Dried sweat was infused with dirt, only interrupted by fresh springs carving rivers through them. Absentmindedly, Mel noticed that her movements seemed more exaggerated, but continued digging the last few layers. She reached for the bottle again. At first she knocked it over, then with some extra focus, she grasped it and gulped the last drops of water. She reached for the capsule now, which felt heavy to drag. She shoved it over into the hole and began to push the mound of dirt back into its home. The pervading sunlight highlighted the spot between the branches. Her hands had become numb from the digging and stinging rays. Suddenly, she vaguely realized that the ground was moving towards her and almost didn’t brace herself for the impact in time. Shelter, she thought, and forced her body to roll closer to the trunk of the tree as her senses faded.

“Mel,” a voice echoed from afar. She felt a cold sensation spread across her face, which then trickled under her chin onto her neck.

“Mel,” the voice repeated, closer now. Her eyes fluttered open to see light grey eyes shining at her in the darkness.

“When you didn’t come back by midday, I thought you had died,” said the voice.

Mel blinked, attempting to clear her vision. The cool water entered her eyes and after a few more blinks she realized it was her younger sister Ashley. Ashley raised a bottle of water to Mel’s lips and tipped a small amount into her mouth. Mel swallowed the mouthful and tried to force a larger amount into her mouth but Ashley resisted.

“Slowly,” she said, “you’ll spill it. Can’t waste water.” Ashley then poured a few more small mouthfuls into Mel’s mouth.

“How am I alive?” Mel asked.

Ashley looked up, “It must have been the tree.”

Mel followed her gazing, seeing the branches that stretches above her and feeling the trunk at her back. At that moment, she also noticed the throbbing pain that emanated from her temples, and the raw tingling all over her body.

“I’m not in good shape,” she commented.

“At least you’re alive. Smelly, but alive.”

Mel smiled and then broke into a sob. It was quiet and dry, almost lifeless. Her body needed the liquid elsewhere. She stood abruptly and shuffled her feet for a few seconds, unable to plant them steadily.

“What are you doing?” Ashley asked. “You need to rest for a bit.”

Mel had stopped sobbing and turned towards the tree. She kissed the trunk while simultaneously spreading her hands across it in a gesture resembling a hug.

“Thank you,” she whispered repeatedly.

“Thank you for saving my life.”


October 07, 2020 01:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.