3 comments

General

Once upon a time, there was a young boy named Saras. Saras lived on Mars. Every day of his life was very different from our lives. He had a mother and father. They lived in a hut. There were many other huts around Saras’ hut where others lived. 

 

 The people of Mars did not look like people who live on Earth. They had bright red skin, brown eyes, and black shiny hair. Their red skin helped them to blend in with the planet, so that if earthmen, which is what they called humans who lived on Earth, would not know that they were there. 

 

 These people living on Mars were called Matzanians. The Matzanians were never hot or cold. They wore black cloaks. They have feet as hard as stone, so they can walk around barefoot. The other Matzanians teased Saras because Saras wanted to be the first Matzanian to travel to Earth. Saras’ dream all started one day when Saras was thirteen:


 

Saras was very fond of girls at this age and was eyeing one Matzanian girl in particular named Isla.  

 

 Isla was very beautiful on the outside, but inside she was rotten to the core. One day, Saras was thinking of Isla, while he was playing with his miniature toy Earth, when all of a sudden he saw something in the distance. It was huge! Saras realized that it was an actual earthmen ship. Saras made sure that his mother was busy and didn’t notice him sneak off. 

 

 As Saras was running to check out the earthmen ship, he remembered his father’s words. “If you ever see an earthmen ship, run and alert the chief of the village.” Saras thought about it, “No way am I doing that! This is so interesting!” As Saras crept up to the ship, he noticed a young girl who looked about his age in the window. Saras did not know that this girl was named Ruby. 

 

 Ruby was extremely smart. Ruby had incredible eyesight, that she was always teased for in school. She noticed things that others didn’t. “Miss Smarty Pants,” is what everyone called her. Ruby didn’t even mind them calling her names. She was strong, brave, smart, and proud of who she was. 

 

 Ruby had beautiful hair that was shiny black. Her skin was a gorgeous tan, and her eyes are pretty and blue. She wore a sparkly blue dress that was the same color as her eyes. She had sparkly black sandals and a beautiful smile. Ruby loved the outdoors, adventure, outer space, and had a dream of becoming a police officer. 

 Ruby and Saras noticed each other and had a very romantic moment just glancing at each other. Saras thought that Ruby was wonderful, and Ruby thought that Saras was as handsome and interesting as they come. (You have to remember that these were teenagers.) Ruby’s eyes became wide, and her eyebrows raised with interest. 

 

 Saras realized that he was in trouble, as Ruby jumped up and opened the door to the ship. Suddenly, Saras’ heart rapidly started beating. Saras turned and started running fast to the chief. Ruby, however, was quick too. She followed him. “Wait,” she cried. Saras turned to look back at her. Saras tripped over a rock and fell to the ground. Ruby ran up to him. 

 

 “What are you?” she said astonished by how red his skin looked. “I am a Matzanian,” he said, as he got up. “I am not supposed to see earthmen. Earthmen are not supposed to see me either.” He said firmly. “My family and I are a journalist. We explore new planets and write down what we discover. My parents are exploring the other side of this planet, and told me to stay put in our ship.” She openly explained. 


 “I know I can discover some incredible things, (like you) if they would give me a chance. I am thirteen and three-fourth years old. ”She continued.“ My name is Ruby, by the way. What is your name?” She asked. “I am Saras. I feel the same way.” 

 

 “I have always loved to explore. My mother and father do not want any earthmen spotting us. I know that earthmen take innocent creatures, and destroy them for an experiment,” said Saras. “Oh, I never thought of that. ” Ruby said.

  

 I would show you my home, but I am not supposed to see you. I am not supposed to talk to you. I am not allowed to welcome you into our home.” Saras replied. “I understand.”Ruby understandingly replied. “Ruby?” Saras asked. “Yes?” Ruby answered. 

 

 “Please do not tell any earthmen that Matzanians exist,” said Saras. Ruby thought for a moment. Ruby’s face did not show any expression. “Ok. Am I ever going to see you again Saras?” Ruby asked. “Yes, I have been building a Matzanian ship, and someday I will come to Earth. We will then be together forever, and we will never leave each other.” 

 

 “You mean it?” Ruby asked. “ I promise,” Saras said. After a long good-bye, Saras and Ruby finally departed. As Ruby skipped away, Saras reminded himself to return home to continue to work on his Matzanian ship. 


 Now Saras was seventeen. During all these years, he had been finishing his Matzanian ship for himself to travel to Earth to be with Ruby once again. He would keep his promise to Ruby. He would travel through Earth to go live with Ruby. He wanted to marry her, and have many children with her. 

 

 The next morning, Saras got up, got dressed, and went outside to his finished Matzanian ship. Saras was ready. He got into his ship. Saras reached for the start button but paused in midair. A million questions went through his head.

 Will Ruby remember me? Has she told any earthmen about the Matzanians? Does Ruby still love me? He put his thoughts aside and was about to press the button. When an arm shot out and grabbed his wrist.

 

 It was Isla. “What are you doing? Are you mad? Are you trying to escape? Do you not want to be with me forever? Do you love me? Do you love that earth girl that I saw you with? Are you going to go see her? I love you, Saras!” She blurted out. “Oh.” Said Saras. “Oh? Is that all? You are about to leave our planet. You are about to leave me.” 

 

 “I could snitch on you at any moment, and all you have to say to me is OH!” She yelled. “Isla, her name is Ruby. I love her. I want to marry her. I want to have children with her. I want to stay with Ruby forever. I want my happily ever after to be with her.” Saras exclaimed.

 

 “Do you love her?” Isla says in a soft voice. Saras realized that this was an unfamiliar expression on Isla’s face. It was not anger. “Yes. Isla, I do,” answered Saras. “If you loved me, then you would want what is best for me. If you loved me then you would want what makes me happy. Are you so selfish, that you will not even let me be with who I love?”

 

 “Then…” Isla took a deep breath. “You must go. You must be with her if that is what you wish. Even when you marry her, though, I will still love my Saras.” Said Isla. “Thank you, Isla. I will never forget your kindness to me. I will never forget that if you had not have done this then I would never be as happy as I will be.”

 

 Isla stepped back. He pressed start, and as he flew away he yelled, “Thank you, Isla.” Once Saras landed on Earth, he searched for Ruby. Saras noticed that earthmen were staring at him as if he did not belong there. A large box with wheels and a bright light came into view. 

 

 It said police on the side of it. An earthman with a costume got out of the box. He pulled Saras into the box. Saras was locked up in a room with bars. After a while, an earth-women came in. She was looking at a clipboard and did not make eye contact. 

 She looked familiar. “State your name.” She said firmly without looking up. Finally, she looked up into his eyes, and they both recognized each other. “Saras!” She exclaimed as she unlocked the bars, “Ruby!” cried Saras, as they hugged. 

 

 “I will never leave you!” They both said in unison. “You kept your promise!” exclaimed Ruby. “Of course I did!” responded Saras, as he picked Ruby up, and spun her around. So Saras and Ruby both became married astronauts and explored many places together. They had many children and brought all the other Maztanians to live on Earth. Isla was a bridesmaid in Ruby and Saras’ wedding. And they all lived Happily Ever After!

May 03, 2020 23:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Blane Britt
14:01 Jun 03, 2020

My kind of story. I believe I met Saras on my way to Jupiter. Great Story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
No One
19:01 May 10, 2020

How did they find eachother earth big its very hard to find that person without a last name, but I loved your take on the story, and how the girl who loved him even though he didn't love her back, she helped him out because of her love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rashi K
16:09 May 09, 2020

This was a very different take on the prompt... Liked it very much

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.