4 comments

General

"Can you keep a secret?" I asked him placing his warm palms into mine and softly squeezing his brown skin. 

"Yes. Anything for you my love," he replied. His eyes were locked into mine unable to move. His lips quivered as he sensed fear. I too was scared. Too scared of what revealing a life long secret might do to our budding love. I bit my lower lip as I brought the document out for him to see. He took the paper from me and ran his eyes through the contents in disbelief.

"Oh my God!" He exclaimed as he let the paper fall to the ground.

*****

I woke up minutes after eight in the morning and felt something heavy resting on my back. Mornings generally came with weakness because I tried a few more times, before I was able to wriggle off the weight I felt on me. I turned to my right and discovered it was Tessy's calf that had all that weight. I blinked a couple more times to return myself to reality as apparently I was missing something. I brushed the crusty scales of my eyes and pulled away the hair that rested on my cheek and apparently my tongue as I spat it out. Then I suddenly remembered!

"Oh jeez my work today!" I yelled causing Tessy to rise too at the startling sound I made. She grunted and then fell back to the bed. I wondered why we woke up so late and how our to seemed like a pig's sty. I hurried into the bathroom and ran the bristles lined with jelly minted toothpaste and brushed every corner and side of my teeth then I quickly spat out the foam and gurgled water in my mouth spewing it out almost immediately.

I washed my pits with water and soap and changed my clothes then hurriedly rushed for work leaving a sleeping Tessy behind all by herself. My hair was slightly disheveled and I felt uncomfortable with the heels I had on. Unlike the fancy modern sedentary work one will expect I handled, I was an interior decorator and chief wedding planner for the Royal Suites and that day, I was planning the wedding of the most important people in the state. The Governor's son, Damian.

I got to the gate and knocked repeatedly on the iron smelted gate and had the gateman invite me in with a smile mostly because I was a usual visitor. I walked in with grace and sat at the reception waiting to be attended to and that was when he came to me. His steps were brisk yet unwavering and his charming gesture caught me unaware. I could perceive his cologne from before he approached my end and the alluring scent drew intense with every step closer he made. I tilted my head sideways as I saw Laura follow his every step and soon they were right next to me, welcoming me.

I had always known the secret since I was just nine years old and had lost my mother. She made it a very important last wish to call me aside and reveal the dark truth I had found it hard to believe. I intended protecting that at all costs. Protecting myself from what might happen if the secret of the Governor, gets out.

"Welcome dear! We've been expecting you," Laura said coming closer and drawing me to a hug. She was a good lady who had shown me excess love for as long as I've known them and I know it was wrong to feel what I felt for Damian, but I couldn't help it. 

They each sat on either side by me as I showed them the book I had sketched the perfect wedding plan for their grand celebration. The number of expected guests and budgets for feeding, decorations and a lot more expenses to be incurred. I didn't also fail to show Laura the idea of the wedding dress I had sketched for her. Laura expressed contentment with my decisions and pleaded to rush in and get drinks for each of us.

"You act like you don't know me, why?" Damian asked when we were alone.

"Laura is a good woman and I don't want to give in to your desires. You are getting married this weekend for God's sake!" I replied and jotted down some things I would need to adjust as a prerequisite for the wedding.

He drew closer to me until I felt his breath warming the lower part of my neck and asked the question, "Do you love me?" I wanted to draw him into my arms and kiss him, touching his cheeks and jaw line as I pressed his warm lips close to mine savouring every scent he gave off and I could tell he felt the same way. I pushed my head closer to his face when I heard Laura approaching with a tray holding the wine and glasses for the moment.

"I can't," I quickly said.

"You mean you won't?" He asked and Laura's figure came on display. The elegant smooth skinned beautifully moulded brown skin like that of syrup. I wonder why he would do such a thing to a beautiful lady with such a good heart.

"I... I have to go," I said and grabbed my bag leaving the room. "He can't know the truth," I said to myself.

*****

Time flew and every little secret unfolded like the dewy leaves of the early morn. First was the secret affair I had with Damian that cost me my job and Laura's marriage to Damian. He seemed happy to have choice made out for him as Laura was betrothed to him by birth. He wanted to make his choice and his choice was me.

We talked for long hours whenever we had the opportunity against busy hours and disapproval from family but I knew I had to press pause with my feelings for him for the better. I always rejected the kisses he constantly threw my way and one time, he asked why while we were at a park sitting on the tall grasses on a rafia mat and had drinks beside us. I wanted more of him but something kept holding me back.

"We can't keep doing this!" I said.

"You haven't given me a reason yet. I love you and you know it... Why can't we be together?" He asked.

"I... I.... I can't tell you," I replied.

He moved closer and kissed my forehead saying, "I'll love you no matter what it is."

""Can you keep a secret?" I asked him placing his warm palms into mine and softly squeezing his brown skin. 

"Yes. Anything for you my love," he replied. His eyes were locked into mine unable to move. His lips quivered as he sensed fear. I too was scared. Too scared of what revealing a life long secret might do to our budding love. I bit my lower lip as I brought the document out for him to see. He took the paper from me and ran his eyes through the contents in disbelief.

"Oh my God!" He exclaimed as he let the paper fall to the ground. "You're my sister!" 

August 19, 2020 00:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Chris Manders
08:02 Aug 28, 2020

Nice build up and twist. Enjoyed reading it

Reply

Show 0 replies
P. Jean
12:58 Aug 27, 2020

You describe the scenes and characters very well. I enjoyed reading your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Crystal Lewis
14:16 Aug 23, 2020

Nice twist!

Reply

00:10 Aug 27, 2020

Thanks so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.