0 comments

Adventure Suspense Thriller

“Hurry up!” Head Chef Seth yelled. “Ministers from Prolen are coming, His Majesty wants everything to be perfect”

“How important are these generals anyways,” Janet glanced at Seth annoyingly. “Just a month ago, they waged war on Prolen and now they are inviting them over for a party?”

“As you know, his majesty always made questionable decisions,” Macy sighed. “Speaking about our conversation earlier, if you were the king, would you even invite the ministers over?”

Janet gave it a thought and shook her head, ”They could be bringing over spies, or maybe even plant a bomb in the palace to kill his majesty, which would kill us too” Macy whimpered but with worry of how she had not thought about this. 

“You are really talented, Janet!” Macy’s mouth gaped open. “You should be on the throne instead of that coward” 

“Don’t say that! You do not want to be executed, right? You have not even gone on a date with Jon”

“Oh my, no one would hear-” A loud clank rang from the back. “What are you girls doing?” Seth cried sternly. “Get the peeled potatoes ready and stop with the gossip of his majesty” Macy flustered and stuttered, “Yes yes, we are, um, almost ready”

A stomachache took Janet’s attention and she clung onto her yellowish chef coat, “Macy, help me finish the rest, I think the bread from earlier today, had gone bad” 

Janet carried her straining body up and rushed to the bathroom. The doorknob was locked and the door wouldn’t budge. She let out an annoyed cry and banged the door rapidly, “Whoever is inside, I need to go in now-” The dull pain was growing by the passing second and she couldn’t hold it anymore. She pulled herself forward in this agony and the idea of the guest’s bathroom feels relaxing, no rule can stop her from not going there.  

The atmosphere became quiet and cool as Janet pushed herself outside the kitchen. Fragrant scents moved into her nose as she navigated through the wide carpeted corridors. A golden polished plate with the word ‘Ladies’ snuggled nicely on the expensive wooden door. Her eyes sparkled from the sight of it and she pushed it so hard that it slammed hard on the marble walls. Three elegantly dressed women stared at her with confusion. She scrambled an apology but her eyes were locked on one of the stalls.  

Janet pulled open out the door after the horrid incident, her eyes landed on a woman standing right outside her stall. She stood with confidence in her elaborate ice blue dress draping on the marble flooring. Her hair was pulled to the back and tied in a bun, tiny strands escaped and landed on the sides of her face. 

The weird thing was that the woman looked alarmed instead of being stern when a servant busted into the guest’s washroom. It looks like she finally found the one, “Alexandra, is that you?” Janet cocked her head to the side, “Who is that?” The woman pursed her lips as Janet had come into realization, “I’m so, so, sorry for barging in here, I deeply apologize, please spare me!” 

“No, no, it was not that,” she blushed lightly with a laugh. Her smile was warming, giving Janet the feeling that all her faults are forgiven. “It’s just that you looked like my-”

Creaks from the door sounded and boots thudded across the marble floor. “Janet!! You fool, you better get yourself here right now, you are not allowed in here!”, the voice grew louder as the main chef rounded the corner. “Ha, there you are”, he cried sternly. He turned to face the woman embarrassingly, “Sorry for the-”, his face darkened in realization. He grabbed Janet’s arm and stormed out. 

“Was there a problem?” she whispered curiously. “No, there isn’t, don’t ask again and I’ll let you off this time” Janet looked away, curious and relieved at the same time. The situation earlier began to fade from her mind as she took in the luxurious interior. The fluffy carpeted floor was soft on each step, the scented air calmed her running mind and the warmth lights wrapped her around securely. 

A beep sounded in the vast and quiet corridor, "His Majesty requires me now, get back to the kitchen straight away or I will definitely report you" Even if his sound was soft, it's as if a snake is hidden between the lines, threatening her, "Yes" 

"Psst", Janet halted and turned. "Lady…do you need any help?" The woman was crouching behind the wall, her puffy dress could reveal her immediately. 

“I need to talk to you,” the woman stared deeply into Janet’s eyes. “Please don’t get me in trouble, I truly beg you” Janet crouched down, she took in deep shaking breaths. “I’ve just lost my memory, I want to form new memories again,” an embrace warmed her, warmer than anything. A feeling familiar yet ungraspable,” Mom?” 

She glanced ahead, the icy blue fabric filled her vision, “Don’t worry, I wouldn’t frame anyone innocent,” a light pat flowed on her skin, “you did not do it on purpose, right?” Janet shook her head, still in the arms of the woman while sniffing up her tears. The tears helped dissipate all her stress and confusion ever since she lost her memories. She only remembered the time when she lied on a bed in the hospital, with no prior memories. 

Janet raised herself away from the embrace, “Are you really my mom?”, stuttery with shyness. The woman smiled, “I would think so,” her voice turned grim, “the last time we saw you, it was when you were kidnapped from the house, we were out that day, all the servants in the house were killed,” the words began to distort, “and we couldn’t find you anywhere, I was so afraid”

The woman composed herself, “You looked like her, you sounded like her, you even apologized like how she would when she made a mistake.”

Janet was lost in the words, “My master told me I belonged to a servant’s family, my parents died in the fire, I was managed to be saved, they called me lucky,” she clenched, “but I don’t even remember them and all my memories are gone! How is that lucky?” The woman gave a smile again, “Don’t worry-” 

Plates shattered on the floor, Seth was frozen on the ground, his face turned dark, “Janet, come here, right now!” She turned to her ‘mom’, hoping for her to do something. “Do you understand me, Janet? Here!” his voice cracking with fear. 

“Stop!” an airy but loud voice rang through the corridor, “I know your king hunted for her, but no one can take my little Alexandra away from me!” The voice resonated in Janet, she has a mom, an alive one, someone who could protect her. 

Seth pulled a walkie talkie, “Security, advance to-” A warping sound encased the corridor and Seth dropped to his knees, unconscious. Janet ducked down, bracing herself. The woman grabbed her and took a run, “You are definitely my daughter, no Nulens can survive that power, only Prolens can,” she smiled brightly.  

A warning blared across the speakers in the corridor, “The Forbidden Power of Prolen detected, all security personnel proceed to the exits of the kingdom, I repeat”

Janet looked at the woman while dashing through the halls, her eyes glared with positivity, an answer to all her questions, “Mom!” 

August 17, 2021 10:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.