228 comments

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational Fantasy

There's a place, hidden to all but one, its treasures unknown to the world. A land of journeys, yes, but also wonder and awe. I know this place, the wonder that all must only guess at. Luke is its name.


I know the Literature Mountains in the west, towering above in all their glory. The highest peak, pages of snow folding over it, stands austere over the great expanse. Words litter the side of each mountain, words that shine upon the forests beneath. I can see the authors climbing the side of their mountains to the very peak, and I always smile when I do. It's comforting, gazing overhead as another mountain rises from the ground. Without the mountains, the land would be a desert, dead and bleak with no end.


The happy feelings that a day brings shine down upon the world and warm everyone's hearts. At the moment, the sun is streaming down like an endless river. I watch Thoughts jump through the air, circling the landscape with loops and twirls. One flies from the mountains, taking flight from the climbers and the words. My heart warms at the sight of them. I could never bring myself to hate anything, not even the Badthoughts, in this land. There's nothing, nothing at all in Luke, that I don't love.


Now then, shall we move on to the forests? There is one forest in Luke, Writing Forest, one that encompasses all others. I walk through the gorgeous trees daily, smile upon them. Each time I do, leaves fall from them, surrounding me in a lovely dance. I dance with the leaves like they are my best friends because they might as well be. I leave them with a parting gift, a new leaf for them to transform into a story.


Magically, snow starts to fall to the ground. The Thoughts scatter at the sight of it, hiding in the clouds which began to gather. They're Imagistratus today. I never would've expected it to snow in such warm weather, but I always welcome the cold. After all, there's no better feeling than that of snow. I rush quickly to the Existentialist, a yacht in the Philosophy Ocean. There's very little barring me from the real world, nothing that I can't surpass. With the Existentialist, grand in its red and white is where I stand in the middle. On its grand deck, I stand torn between Luke and Reality. Then again, Luke is more real to me than any facsimile of the "real world".

I stand watching as the water freezes over. It's lovely here. I don't want to go back, the land pulling my soul back, but I know I have to leave. There's always something I need to do in the "real world", always something that I need to get back to. Here, I'm free.


As the Existentialist sails through the emerald waters, I feel a dark cloud shadow the sea. It covers the brig in darkness, and I rush to see what could be causing the shadow. That's when I see it. The gigantic blimp sails through the ocean of the sky, paving the way through the clouds. Thoughts are scattering everywhere, the blimp consuming all the space left in the sky. It's the Blimp of Thoughts, a caretaker for all Thoughts making their way to Luke. It's a lovely sight, all of my ideas and abstractions breaking free. It feels freeing in my heart, too, as if I can soar above the sky.


The blimp is gold, shimmering and reflecting all across the snowy sky. I can see it turning inward and curving towards the clocktower. Oh, I didn't tell you about the clocktower! How silly of me.


Though I can't see it from here, there's a tall tower in the center of Luke. It has a clock embedded in the center of it, the entirety of the structure laced with emerald. I love looking at it, the heart and soul of the entire world. The clock doesn't show the twelve hours of a "reality" clock, but it shows something much more important. The timeline of my life. Without this clock functioning, without the dreams dreaming, without the Thoughts thinking, without the mountains rising, I am nothing more than a useless human.


The clock is my guiding star, the collection of all my joy and creativity and wonder and awe. When I let it fill me up, chime to the tune of my heartbeat, I know that I will never be a useless human. I will never be part of the crowd. I know not that I am special, but that I am unique. That clocktower is a beacon of hope, a light that I take to me back into my real world and that I am delighted to let fill me up.


Life in Luke is not like living anywhere else. When I first came here, first found it, I felt more scared than I'd ever felt in my entire life. Everything seemed to rise around me, leaving me behind. I ran for my life, trying to escape my own home. When the Blimp came in with its deposit of Thoughts, though, I knew that I belonged here. After all, where else would I want to be? There are so many possibilities in Luke, so many places to go and things to see. Not even I have seen them all. I'd wager there's a dark place somewhere, deep in the ground, hidden from all light and joy, filled with my darkest feelings and fears. Still, until the day comes where I find out everything about Luke, I am content here and now, nowhere else and no time else.


I do regret not being able to show it to you. I'd bet you'd all love to see it, the glorious rolling hills and forests, flying Thoughts, and the wondrous clocktower. I wish I could show it to you, I do. Still, I bet yours is just as magical. I wonder what your yacht looks like.

January 22, 2021 19:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

228 comments

. .
19:45 Jan 22, 2021

This is what it's like to be me. Enjoy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
19:49 Jan 22, 2021

What does your yacht look like XD?

Reply

A glowing, shimmering, towering boat that takes me to places no man could ever dream of, place that were once locked away but have been found and guided back to me. My yacht chants a never-ending stream of thoughts, making a ocean of feeling and emotions. That is my yacht. XD

Reply

. .
19:55 Jan 22, 2021

THAT SOUNDS LIKE AN AWESOME YACHT!!!!

Reply

XD I CANT DESCRIBE REEEEEEEE

Reply

. .
19:55 Jan 22, 2021

THAT WAS AN AMAZING DESCRIPTIONNNN

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
17:36 Jan 28, 2021

omg luke this was amazing!!!! so deep, i loved the title.... all your stories amaze me. gosh i cant get over this. anyway, could you read my story, "Lyrics of my Life" thanks so much and keep writing! -cass

Reply

. .
18:00 Jan 28, 2021

Aw thanks, Cass!!! I'll check yours out!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. S.
17:32 Jan 23, 2021

This is so creative!! Your imagination sounds like such a beautiful place... each new element of it made me want to go more.

Reply

. .
18:16 Jan 23, 2021

Thanks so much, Ady (imma be calling you that)

Reply

A. S.
22:51 Jan 23, 2021

You’re welcome! XD

Reply

. .
19:52 Jan 24, 2021

:DDDDD

Reply

A. S.
17:28 Jan 25, 2021

What is your favorite place in your imagination? (Friend?)

Reply

. .
17:58 Jan 25, 2021

(OF COURSE WE FRIEND!!!) My favorite place would have to be the place where I imagine myself in other places, but I. looooooooooove. the. Clocktower.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
08:00 Jan 23, 2021

Shout out writer Ethan https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/ethan-cavacas/ Thora https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/thora-porter/ These are the writers for the week please do check put then in your free time. They work hard for their stories, they would love your comments.

Reply

. .
11:43 Jan 23, 2021

I would love to check them out, and ethan is a great one I know.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:09 Jan 23, 2021

By the way, I have submitted a new story would love your feedback on it

Reply

. .
18:16 Jan 23, 2021

I'll check it out when I have time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Christina Marie
20:16 Jan 22, 2021

This is so wonderful.

Reply

. .
20:16 Jan 22, 2021

Thanks, Christina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
20:15 Jan 22, 2021

I did your writing quiz. It was very... enlightening and I couldn't answer all your questions because I forgot majority of the answers. But yea... I did it!

Reply

. .
20:16 Jan 22, 2021

OOH THANKS COOKIE!!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
20:18 Jan 22, 2021

NO PROB LIT!!

Reply

. .
20:18 Jan 22, 2021

:DDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:53 Jan 22, 2021

I- WOW. Like- "What does your yacht look like" XD And also, "Literature Mountains" sounds like heaven. I NEED A PLANE TICKED THERE RN

Reply

. .
19:54 Jan 22, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDD The literature mountains do seem awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee imagine the authors climbing them like they're writing it and they're finished once they make it to the topppppppp I'M SO SORRY THERE ARE NO TICKETSSSSSSSSSSS BUT WHAT DOES YOUR YACHT LOOK LIKE?? No one prob has an answer to that question, its just fun to think about.

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:56 Jan 22, 2021

HAHAH AWWWWWWWWWWWWW yeah lol imagine being rich enough to own a yacht

Reply

. .
19:57 Jan 22, 2021

That's the thing!! THERE'S NOTHING THAT YOU CAN'T DREAM UP!! This place is a representation of my purest form of imagination. I bet you have one :)

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
20:18 Jan 22, 2021

OF COURSE I DO!!! *sniff* that's so deep....

Reply

. .
20:19 Jan 22, 2021

XD Welp I'm glad cuz that's what I was going forrrr

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:15 Feb 09, 2021

Mine is amazing. Full of dragons and Thought-sprites and forests everywhere. the water can't wet the pages of the books from the Library of Dreams, and everything changes color with my mood.

Reply

. .
20:21 Feb 09, 2021

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I TOTALLY AGREEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Kindred spirits XD

Reply

20:31 Feb 09, 2021

YAAAAAY! *I love dragons and cats and think way too much, I have to map my thoughts or I'll start running in circles in line to get coffee, which I shouldn't have because it makes my Thoughts go crazy* Story's out! Check it out, and sorry about the burn scars in advance. Someone had to get hurt, and you were wearing flammable clothing... (Blame the fire cat of death that keeps trying to come into the world of Emerald. I put him on Reedsy instead.)

Reply

20:34 Feb 09, 2021

Is your puzzle 1000 leagues under the sea? Oh no, I don't think. got the right number of zeroes...

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
20:45 Feb 09, 2021

XDXDXDXD Yerpppp and of course I'll check it out!!! Also, 1 more zero and the number is different.

Reply

20000 leagues under the seaaaaaa I WAS SO BUSY TO ANSWER AND NOW I REMEMBER WHAT I WAS GOING TO TELL YOU LUKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Reply

. .
18:43 Feb 10, 2021

Yerp it issssssssss WHAT

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
00:11 Jan 26, 2021

Heyy litlover (or Luke, whichever you prefer me to call you by) I read it now, aaaandd it's soooo good.... You interpret your thoughts well and ahhhhhhh.... How do you keep on doing this? It's amazing!

Reply

. .
00:15 Jan 26, 2021

XD You can call me Luke!!! Thanks youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, I dunno how I keep doing "this" XD

Reply

Danny -
00:16 Jan 26, 2021

XDD I don't know either, but keep doing it cause it's amazing!

Reply

. .
00:16 Jan 26, 2021

Awwwwww thanks!!

Reply

Danny -
00:17 Jan 26, 2021

Of course :)

Reply

. .
00:18 Jan 26, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:38 Jan 25, 2021

o great luke, i am writing a story and i need a prophecy, and only the greatest of them all will do. in other words: I need a prophecy and you make really good ones soooooooocan you make one for me?

Reply

. .
16:40 Jan 25, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDD Yas of courseeeee!!!! I would love to!! This is so sweet btw :) What do you need it to be about?

Reply

16:44 Jan 25, 2021

yay aw thanks :D It needs to be about. . . how two people need to save these ghosts or else the ghosts will get released and end the world :D annnd they need to find a cure (aka medicine) and it needs 3 ingredients name them like weird names, and make one liquid, one solid, and one that can only be obtained from the gods include three prophets along the way that give hints to where the ingredients are (I already have one and its a bird named Griffin) its for my golden music series in case you were wondering :)

Reply

. .
16:55 Jan 25, 2021

OK!! Here goes: A duo cursed by a twist of fate The undead fueled by an evil hate Two must appease those who haunt them Or the world will become evil's true gem With the water from which is birthed all peril The hair of the gods and the teeth of the devil A mixture of love, hate and destiny only then will their lives be free To obtain what they seek They must pry from the beak the silver-gray octopod skin May win and destroy from within The red of the immortal charmer Will prove the weakest of armour The fate and the clock The tick and t...

Reply

16:58 Jan 25, 2021

ohmggggg YOU ARE SO GOOD AT MAKING THESE HOW DID YOU MAKE IT SO FAST- i don't even know thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

Reply

. .
16:58 Jan 25, 2021

XDXD No prob, Ame!! I can't wait to read what you do with it!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
💫 Sophia 💫
15:12 Jan 25, 2021

You are very talented and I love your use of sensory details. I love how creative you are.

Reply

. .
15:23 Jan 25, 2021

Thank youuuuuuuuuu you too!!

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
15:26 Jan 25, 2021

:DD

Reply

. .
15:27 Jan 25, 2021

:DDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dorsa S.
14:41 Jan 25, 2021

aa, this is imagination at its finest. please write a novella on this atmosphere that you have created, please let us travel into your head! i want to live in this world so much; it's better than this world we have! "I wonder what your yacht looks like." aren't we traveling between each others' lands? that's fun! new favorite story, it really let me relax and let go of reality. thank you for writing this! :D

Reply

. .
14:42 Jan 25, 2021

XD Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu Dorsa!! Yeah, imaginations always are. Danke!!

Reply

Dorsa S.
14:44 Jan 25, 2021

of course!

Reply

. .
14:45 Jan 25, 2021

:DDDDDDD Please post soooooon!!

Reply

Dorsa S.
14:46 Jan 25, 2021

i'll try, my imagination is having a clog right now. some of these prompts don't ring a siren to me. :(( i'll figure it out soon, though. i can't leave my three brain cells without something to work on!

Reply

. .
14:57 Jan 25, 2021

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally excited about the convention for a hobby one. If you want, I can give you a headstart. Technically, the prompt works as a secret society one, and also you can use it for maybe a conlanging convention or some other undercover plot.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:24 Jan 25, 2021

Would you like to play skribble at 3:30 EST (different time than before) today?

Reply

. .
14:27 Jan 25, 2021

Oh, I think my only free time is at 230 to 300 or 400 to 500

Reply

Maya -
14:29 Jan 25, 2021

Oh, sorry. Maybe tomorrow then? Lol :D

Reply

. .
14:37 Jan 25, 2021

Yeah, I sadddddd I have a ton of work maybe tomorrow at 230?

Reply

Maya -
14:39 Jan 25, 2021

Sure! Ugh, work :/ Okay, we'll do it tomorrow at 2:30. :D

Reply

. .
14:39 Jan 25, 2021

YAYYYYY

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
13:59 Jan 25, 2021

I'm really interested what this story is about, judging by the comments, I think it's going to be great! (This has been on my library for a while now, I'll give it a read tomorrow since it's late here lolol) I can't wait to read it :)) it's taking so much willpower in me right now to not read the comments any more cause..... No spoilers lol I read some of your stories btw, they're great!

Reply

. .
14:00 Jan 25, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD You're commenting before reading I LOVE IT and also THANK YOU YOUR STORIES ARE TOOOOOOO

Reply

Danny -
14:03 Jan 25, 2021

THANK YOUUUUU, AND YESSSSSSSSSS, IT'S MORE SATISFYING TO READ IT AFTER COMMENTING......cause suspense~

Reply

. .
14:03 Jan 25, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDD THE SUSPENSE WOULD POSITIVELY MURDER ME WITH AN AXE

Reply

Danny -
14:05 Jan 25, 2021

GASP. HOW GRAPHIC.......maybe a cotton candy axe

Reply

. .
14:06 Jan 25, 2021

XDXDXD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
13:57 Jan 25, 2021

Hey, when I first started reading this I thought, "Oh, this is kind of self centered," but then I kept reading and it was cute, good job! I loved the concept.

Reply

. .
13:58 Jan 25, 2021

Thanks youuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! I wanted to try something like this and I loved writing it. ALSO A AND G NUMBER THREE WAS AmAzInG LiKe SoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO aMaZiNg

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
06:07 Jan 24, 2021

Wowwww, Luke! Amazinggggg, just...no words. It was like gazing into the mysteries that are a writers mind, which we were. I love it!! *sits quietly and just takes in the beauty* It's just...spectacularly written and shown. The ending I liked especially, I thought it was so touching, thank you so much for writing this!! L. Brooks

Reply

. .
14:35 Jan 24, 2021

Thanks you so much Lillian!!!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:56 Jan 24, 2021

No, thank 𝘺𝘰𝘶. I'm so glad I got to read such an amazing work

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
05:10 Jan 24, 2021

Gosh.... This.,.. Is... TOO GOOD!!! AAHHHHUU why cant i write like that?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Reply

. .
14:35 Jan 24, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDD THANKS YOUUUUUU

Reply

Sia S
18:01 Jan 24, 2021

XDDDDD WELCOMEEEEEEZ

Reply

. .
18:01 Jan 24, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Sia S
18:04 Jan 24, 2021

:DDD Whatcha doing? I'm watching Amtyville returns with my cousin! Well we just had a big fight and now one is shouting insults, lol, but I'm cool, you?

Reply

. .
18:05 Jan 24, 2021

I'm going rock climbing with Mira IRL soon XD That's so relatableeeee

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
18:02 Jan 24, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Luke! I loved this amazing story! Glad your back!! :)

Reply

. .
21:30 Jan 23, 2021

Thanks youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Reply

Your welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Salma Jarir
20:55 Jan 23, 2021

This is sooo creative , it really shows what's inside ur heaad ^_^

Reply

. .
21:30 Jan 23, 2021

Thanks youuuuuuuuuuuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.