0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

AI switched on Time Machine and set a date.

TM : No data.

AI sets it a century down to 1923.

Town: Reed.

TM record: Rich landlord KK. Builds residence named VILLI completed 1926 employing many workers. KK had two wives, several children and grandchildren. Despite it he had a mistress Urvasi a woman from a family of dancing girls. KK’s son through Urvasi named Pani became a reserve soldier in the then British army.

KK gave VILLI to Urvasi to live in. He would spend days with her there. There were many enemies who wanted KK and Urvasi out of the way. Once an attempt at poisoning Urvasi was discovered in time and avoided. Also someone once wanted to kill KK and paid a hatchet man. But his soldier son Pani went to his rescue and the would- be assassin was knifed to death.

Then came the earthquake in the small hours of a morning. The ground shook when two tall coconut trees fell. Luckily there was no damage to VILLI. At the time of the earthquake KK and Urvasi were asleep and were unharmed.

KK was a great playboy. He had a small water tank built at a low level in his place. He liked watching Urvasi bathing as she was being oiled and massaged by a servant maid. He would say “I wish I knew how to paint pictures. I would have immortalized you, Urvasi in my paintings.” Once this habit of KK’s was noted, an attempt was made by someone to land a brick on him to kill him as he stood watching Urvasi in the nude. Luckily the brick missed him.

In course of time Urvasi had grown slightly portly and largely lazy. She needed the help of a maid even in bed while KK remained very active. This often meant there was a ménage a trois and it would delight KK. The maid who participated was Leila a double tongued woman, a young widow, who wanted to get rid of Urvasi and have KK all to herself. Suddenly one day Urvasi was missing. It was assumed she had gone with KK on boat ride in the river. But KK denied that Urvasi had gone boating with him. Her body was never found. Leila claimed to have become the owner of VILLI. This was strongly objected to by Urvasi’s son Pani.

In fact Pani attacked Leila and disfigured her face. When KK went to her help, Pani didn’t spare his father. He said “Give me my share of your property and I’ll be gone.” But it wasn’t done as KK was overly fond of his soldier son.

Due to his extensive property holding many kin hoped to inherit property from KK. After KK’s death his will was revealed which was said to be faulty. He had left prime property VILLI to Urvasi and her son. This was legally challenged and the dispute continued in court till 2020 when all encumbrances were removed and VILLI was restored to a KK descendant. However VILLI was ordered to be disposed of by auction as the allottee had large debts.

AI said “I’ve learnt enough. I can write the story further now. I’ll eat my hat if Urvasi hadn’t been murdered and buried in VILLI by Leila.” Now read further:

The Wren Group of hotels operated in Reed besides in other cities. It was a very successful and prosperous enterprise and was owned by tycoon Ashok. That day Ashok was talking with his wife when he said “Meena, VALLI is going to be auctioned.”

“You’ve been saying it since long.”

“Now the courts have cleared the ownership. The man to whom it had been allotted has debts he can’t repay.”

Meena laughed and said “You claim descent from KK but he has left nothing to you.”

Ashok was thoughtful as he said “That is because KK didn’t make a proper will. And ex-soldier Pani’s besides Leila’s descendants have taken hold of all the property. They have occupied all houses and lands and ownership as they say is nine tenths law. I’ve told you what I know about Urvasi. She is the one who has to be blamed.”

 Meena said laughing “I’ve read a book in our language about KK’s history. He is not a role model. So many wives and concubines! Urvasi and Leila and their doings of which I’m ashamed! The book needs to be banned.”

Ashok laughed and said “You forget that they did nothing different from say what happened between you and me. And it was written by a female.”

“I don’t go telling others what my husband does with me in bed.” She was silent a bit and then said “In fact the author confesses she was also a bit embarrassed to record sexual dealings.”

“Still she persisted and the book sold well: Anything for money, as they say. By the way what if a film could be made based on the book?”

She was thoughtful as she said “I won’t be surprised as these film stars and directors nowadays look for such themes. I know you’ll invest on such a film as the return will be high.”

He said “You remember director Neha, a female, came to me for investment to make a film on a Hindu saint – a woman. It was to be full of songs of praise on the Almighty by famous composers  and sung by eminent vocalists. She promised to introduce me to superstars.”

“Yes. I strongly vetoed your entering film investment. Not that I don’t trust you but the doings by  film stars scares me. And I recall that you’re descended from playboy KK!”

“Last week another film director contacted me. He has a screenplay on KK’s life and wants to shoot the film.”

“What did you say?”

“I said I’ll think about it.”

“You must be ashamed to even admit that you belonged to the KK family with its doings.”

“I can’t help it.”

There was silence. Then he said “I was telling you about my intention to bid at the auction for VILLI but the subject went elsewhere. VILLI is in a very central business district. If that space is cleared it could be converted into a large supermarket. I’m planning to construct a 6 storied building on the site. They would have to dig deep for the foundation.”

She said “Go ahead. I only don’t want you going into films.”

The VILLI auction started and as planned Ashok outbid others. In a matter of a month, VILLI was demolished and the site was cleared. It was months before plans for a new construction could be implemented. Digging deeper every day to lay the foundation they found nothing. No trace of buried buried bodies, no Urvasi!

As a human I say let AI eat his hat!

 END

April 16, 2023 12:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.