"A Day Like No Other." : A Greenbo Jenkins Esq Tale

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Drama Mystery

Her heartbeat went up a notch. She took her first tentative yet defiant steps. Together they marched across the perfect meadow, heading towards the fenced off orchard. The power of her excitement bowled over her trepidation and revived her undaunted spirit. Words started pouring out.


"So this fruit garden you're taking me to, why aren't we allowed to go there? Is it something we should be worried about? Your sure he won't mind? You know it's funny, but I feel fine about this, even though it isn't exactly permitted... Tell me again why we're doing this?"


Shaking his head, he was simultaneously amused and wearied. Had she been always this talkative? He rubbed his hand over his bald head taking in the warm smoothness of the odd shape. His tongue flicked over his lips and in a regulated and deep tone he replied.


"My child. The miraculous apples we're collecting are some of the most tasty and nourishing in the whole garden. I do not understand why your father roped it off. His action does seem unfair if you ask me. Therefore, let us not be hesitant or complacent. The future is your's and why should you be denied?"


"True. It makes sense, but father and my betrothed always have my best interests at heart."


He chuckled and the soft movement of his crown subconsciously swayed her with his hypnotic rhythm. His whisper was quieter than the accompanying breeze and warmed her confidence like the rays of the sun.


"He does and the other does... but..." He paused to let her trust in him grow. He understood her daredevilry was his best ally if they were to get some apples today. Picking one would be a massive success. He took in her innocence, as she looked to him to continue his thought. 


"Ah little one, even fathers can make mistakes. A betrothed's love, though perfect may be blind. Then it is your duty as the daughter and the wife to help them comprehend the truth."


She nodded at him. She believed herself to be confidant. Nonetheless a small seed of apprehension manifested itself in her tightly bunched fists. She relented from inviting anxiety to take the stage of her decision-making. She rigorously constrained her negativity to the wings of her mental theater. Instead out swanned her Adventurous Spirit. With a flourish this new found strength took Front and center of the stage. Holding forth, using words like daring and pushing barriers. 



Out of the stage wings came her Guiding Reason. Marching solemnly it took a space next to the first impassioned speech maker. Taking up its role in the performance and starting to clarify that her father will be proud of her undertaking this task. This logician reasoned that her intended would honor her brave actions. Further adding that even though they may get riled they would certainly come to their senses and see her scrumping light-heartedly and not administer punishment. Her emotions applauded and exchanged self-satisfied looks.


*****


He sensed her anxiety being met by a corresponding moment of delusion. The consequent victory of her internal seduction made his ophidian heart beat warmly. His certainty grew that she was enamored of his idea. He reached for her small hand and wound his fingers in hers. She looked up at him. He beamed back a warm blooded smile for the sun had a pleasant heat, and he was feeling toasty. She returned his gaze and turned back to the horizon.


"Do we still have far to go Heylel?"


"We are drawing closer with every self realising step we take together. Do not lose heart child. Soon you will look on an orchard, the likes of which will gladden you. Trust old Heylel; your knowledge will reach new heights"


She grinned at him and squeezed his entwined fingers. "I'm not loosing heart. I'm just impatient to arrive at our destination, and I am starting to hunger for this place."


Her word choice made him do a little internal jig.


*****


B'Khad searched the skyline and fear gnawed at him. B'Atreyn had been gone since the sun had shimmered over the mountains till now. At this moment his shadow hid beneath his heels. 

"Father," he prayed "please return her soon. I do not recognize this sensation in my gut. It is new and foreign. My body sweats and my heart races. It over turns my reason and cages my physical." 

By some magical property his words grounded him. His father's wisdom filled him. His bravery and sense of adventure welled up in him. Kneeling down over their woven beds his fingers traced the indentations of her feet. His hands stroked hidden places. They revealed where she had stood earlier in their miraculous meadow. "What this?" his hand and eyes discovered a singular indentation of unusual length; that by some curious miracle then formed two heavy flat feet. Feet larger than his. 



B'Khad's curiosity took over. Whose feet were these? What was the meaning of the transformation from a solitary trail to the footprints? He focused on the blades of grass and followed their clues. He knelt his face lower to the sweet smelling meadow and allowed his senses to take in what had transpired. 



His eyes tracked their path channeling its way across the field. He smelt her familiar warmth and sensed the stranger's new scent. They'd walked together, their gait harmonious. B'Khad sighed gratefully. She was safe. There were no signs of hunt, hurt or abduction. "Father thank you for this sign of safety." Plucking a grass-stalk he placed it between his teeth. He laid back happily looking up into an indescribable blue. His essence joyfully melded with his surrounds. He released a contented sigh.


****


"Child, we have arrived"


B'Atreyn raised her eyes to see a tree in front of her. She recognised this living organism rising majestically, filled her with awe and wonder. Raising her hands, clutched in praise, she turned excitedly to him. 


"Heylel this is wonderful. This is a miracle. Why would father not want us to celebrate this marvel of the natural world? Is this an oversight?"


He maintained his patient exterior but excitement was coursing through his veins like serpent's fire. 


"Oh little one, it is a perhaps a momentary lapse in your father's reason. I know for certain he was about to reveal this to you himself. But we are smart and curious. He will laugh at our ingenuity and be glad at our intelligence. What say you? Should we pluck an apple?"


Ecstatic, she clapped with joy at the thought. Careless and courageous, she broke from Heylel's grasp. He grunted at the sudden violence, but he relished her fire and freedom. He let her run to the fateful arbor. She cherished every second of her indomitable resolve to be the first. To be a trailblazer. To be the unknown and to forge new paths.  



The tree towered over her yet one branch hang just above her head heavy with a single fruit. Free spiritedly she jumped, plucked, and in one fluid motion bit. She landed. Her feet planted. Intelligence, recognition and proficiency flooded every atom of her being. 


*****


I sit in wide-eyed wonder at the storyteller's tale. Her Words impart to me the fable of the amazing act of the mother of all mothers. B'Atreyn alone illuminated us. With the help of Heylel, she and B'Khad had given life to us.  



We are known as the Apple Eaters. We see the plan of the father. We understand, his plan cannot be comprehended. Yet it is our duty to push ourselves with every grain of fearlessness, tenacity, intuition and recklessness to the pinnacles only we can climb. Certainly there are the weak amongst us who prefer to live in fear and cowardice. More dangerous are those who fundamentally believe the falsehood that the father sought to punish us for the ingenuity of our fore mother. 



Still, we know better. Until the day of universal wisdom, I swear on my children, and my children's children. They will understand the taste of the one harvested. They will receive the forgiveness earned through their courage. They will embody the grit and gumption needed to be the light, illuminating change.


Through them we will all, pluck, eat and process the succulent apple of knowledge.

Amen-Ra.


October 16, 2020 22:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.