4 comments

Friendship High School

I sipped my coffee and gazed out the snowy scene beyond my window. I observed three friends wandering around the park happily and cheerfully. That scene reminded me of something. Yeah! The girls reminded me of my friends who were all together all the time. We completed our schooling together in London. Our school days were the best. We had a whale of time then. High school days are one most beautiful days in a person’s life. You learn a lot, enjoy a lot and grow more. I had the most beautiful days at high school that nothing in my life would ever replace it. My life was so interesting when I had my friends in it. 

Friendship is the most amazing relationship in one’s life. And if you choose the right one, you are incredibly lucky. So was I, then. It changed everything. I had a shoulder to lean on. In fact, shoulders to lean on. And you know, not everything you expect happens all the time. And I experienced the bad time. 

Misunderstandings began to burgeon, love was diminishing. I couldn’t accept the fact that the bond between us no longer continued. Grudges grew more and the actual reason for the misunderstandings seemed no longer to exist. Classes began boring. Concentration missed. The smile in our faces gradually faded. The fake bond started to bind us just for the name sake. The pain was excruciating as I witnessed the people I love the most drifted apart.

I placed my coffee cup in the desk nearby and rested in my bed. Memories began to project one after the other in my mind. The vanished smile in my face appeared every time I think of the beautiful moments. My mind flashed back to the good old days. We were always the topic of the class. We were both the teachers’ best and worst students. Our days of togetherness were something beyond happiness. 

I smiled and made my walk downstairs to the park nearby. I thought to clear my mind and to focus on my works. The green surrounding, fresh air, little munchkins playing in the park made me feel more relaxed. I rested on the bench near me and was observing the kids and their cute little naughty things. Two kids were building a mud house. One of them suddenly got tempered and collapsed it. The other one began to cry. The cry baby’s mom picked him up and convinced him. The baby’s mom was none other than Caitlyn, one of my best friends who are not in speaking terms now. I couldn’t control my tears. I ran into her. 

“Caitlyn…” 

She turned towards me and stared at me for a sec till she recognised me. Tears filled her eyes. She hugged me so tight that she left her crying baby on the ground without giving a damn about him. I felt something special. I haven’t hugged her since high school. And now, she’s married and having a baby. I asked about her and her whereabouts. I was so happy for her. Back then, during our school days, we talk a lot about our future life and she promised me that I would be her bridesmaid. But now, she has a baby and I knew nothing about it. This is what is called, ‘not everything we expect happens all the time’. 

The Caitlyn I knew was irresponsible, childish, and immature. Now, she turned into a responsible mother of a 2-yr old. When I hugged her, all those silly misunderstandings shattered into pieces. I felt how much she missed me. I shouldn’t have let the break continue way too long. It should have solved very soon then. That was my mistake. How did I miss my best friend’s wedding? How did I miss all the beautiful moments in her life? I asked her about my other friends. She told me that two of them were married. My heart ached and longed to see them. 

“I’m so sorry, Caitlyn. I want to meet them all and make things right. I want us all back.” I said.

“We looked for you everywhere. I searched for you at the time of my wedding. But I couldn’t reach you. We organised a school reunion before my wedding so that we would find you. But you didn’t show up.” she sighed.

“Yeah. I was wrong. I missed everything. I miss you all. I should have done something. I should have acted soon.”I muttered.

Caitlyn took me to her home. I carried her kid on my arm. He was so cute unlike her. We stepped into her car. 

“Wow! You ride a car? You even don’t know to ride a bicycle properly, then.” I exclaimed.

She chuckled. “You think it is difficult to ride a car than to raise a kid?” 

We laughed and she drove the car to her home. The house was so pretty and I entered in. I was shocked.

There were pictures of us and our friends framed all over her living room. No word came out from my mouth. All these years, I thought that everyone moved on. But, hell no. It was my fault that I didn’t make use of my chances I had. I had wasted all these years that I should spend happily with my friends. I hugged her and cried. I apologised for my missing when she needed me as her bridesmaid. 

I put my hand on my cheeks and looked at all the pictures with a wide smile on my face. I recollected every memory from the pictures hanging on the wall. We spoke a lot about us and she made me dinner. I invited her to my place whenever she gets a chance. She promised me that we would schedule a day and meet all our friends. The void in my heart, I felt no more. I understood that I should never let go of my happiness for ego. Not everyone is right. There is no perfect human being in this world. Accept the flaws. And it’s better to be soon before it’s too late.

August 14, 2020 07:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Varsha R
14:39 Oct 30, 2020

Can anyone suggest me some better name for this story?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
14:29 Aug 18, 2020

i think this is really good, ya did amazing with it and imma give you a 10/10

Reply

Varsha R
03:48 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you so much❤.. I'm soo glad to hear that you liked it😊

Reply

B. W.
12:50 Aug 19, 2020

no problem ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.