0 comments

General

"I understand that it doesn't come naturally to you, Nina, but mastering the Flames is vital now." Master Nolan says, pacing in front of me and shaking his head.

"I know, but I just... Every time I try I just get freaked out! It's different from when I use water or ice..." I say, holding up my hands in defense. "I haven't given up, trust me, but I can't do it like everyone else does."

"During any other time we would allow you to use what you're most comfortable with, but water and ice does nothing to slow the dead down. Fire is our only hope." he comes to a stop in front of his desk, then looks up at me,"Nina, you must learn to let go of your fear. It's your power, it will bend to your will."

"Master Nolan, I only ask that you give me more time. I need it desperately, I don't want to fail my comrades in the field- which I surely will if I go in now." I stand up and walk closer to him,"You know I can do it, and so do I."

He looks hard at me for a few moments,"Alright. Go back to your quarters. I will postpone your deployment."

"Thank you, Master Nolan. I will not let you down."

November 12, 2019 20:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.