17 comments

Creative Nonfiction Sad Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

True story

No More Bullies Re-imagined

(I must continue to tell this tale or not be liked by you-who-know-what-I-mean)


It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling. It was almost dark. It was the fourth of January. It was our little girl's fourth birthday. It was the day of her death.

###

Long time before: Seemed like a good idea at the time. Certainly no harm in it. We were only dating and looking for something different to do. Carter's friend had told him about a dog show coming into the city. Dog show? Who would be interested in watching prissy dogs sashaying around showing off their who-knows-what-there-was-to-show-off?

There are only so many restaurants to eat out in and so many movies to go see before every date seems like the one before. We had been dating for a while so we needed something to shake-up our routine. So the dog show won out for a Saturday afternoon rendezvous.

This was unlike any 'dog show' I could have ever imagined. Where were the Poodles, Labradoodles, Goldendoodles, or any other doodles? There wasn't a cutesy Lhasa Apso, Maltese, Bichon Fise, Shih Tzu, or Yorkie. Not a Puggle, Puli or Pug showed its mug. No Great Dane, Great Pyrenees or Greater Swiss Mountain dog. Not even a Border Collie.

These dogs were all Bullies: American Bulldog, American Bully, English Bulldog, French Bulldog, Shorty Bulls, Exotic Bulls, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier and so on. Who would guess there were so many kinds of bullies across the world? They not only were judged on their extremely good looks (sarcasm) and muscular builds but there were other competitions, too. Like pulling sleds weighed down with thousands of pounds. I have to admit I was fascinated. But Carter?—Carter fell in love!

He had to have one of his own. Couldn't be talked out of it. Didn't matter the bad press this kind of breed often received and had to overcome. Didn't matter that some rental properties absolutely forbid them on the premises. Didn't matter they had a bad reputation for being aggressive and hard to control. He had to own one.

According to ads by people wishing to sell them, the pit bulls were a proud, loyal, loving breed of dog. You should be proud to own this amazing breed. They were totally misunderstood and made great pets for children.

Of course, I assumed it was to assuage his masculinity. But he was in love. And I loved him. So Carter got what Carter wanted. Including me. We were wed not too long after he got his first Pit Bull Terrier, Roco.

Carter trained Roco very well and he really seemed like a member of our family. I liked him a lot, too. Before long we had added to our little family. First one little girl, two years later a second one.

My husband became such an expert on this chosen breed that he began collecting, training and selling more of them. He entered them in competitions and had numerous trophies. It was his favorite hobby and since he worked so hard providing for us I saw no harm in it.

We had a beautiful mid-sized family with a mid-sized income living in a mid-sized house in a mid-sized city driving a mid-sized car in the mid-west. Can't get much more middle of the road than that. But our happiness level was way above mid-line. We thought we had it made... until we didn't...

Let me tell you that today I am a single mom. No, not because of what you may expect. You see, five years ago I lost Carter at the very young age of thirty-eight to a rare form of cancer. Something we knew nothing about that crept up on him and ended his life very rapidly. With the Good Lord's help and my family's loving support I have gotten through some rough times. Rough times that started way before Carter's passing...

###

Five years prior to Carter's passing:

“Hey, Hon. You won't believe the deal I got on the champion of last year's 'Best of the Best' show. They call him 'Baby Bull'. His owner needed to move to a new state and couldn't keep him anymore. I won the bidding war and got him for a song. We can breed him with our sweet little champion, Bella the Bullette, and make $1500 per pup, if we are lucky. We only have Bella and Roco right now so we won't be overcrowded.”

“Fine, Dear, but remember now that I am working again and Mom is watching the girls for us she has to be comfortable handling the three of them along with a two-year old and soon to be four-year old.”

“Don't worry so much. I'll keep them crated until I get home everyday and they are all well trained.”

“You remember Lizzy is turning four on the fourth. We'll want to have her party on the actual day since it is her 'Golden' one. It is a week day so we will only have family coming for cake and ice cream with presents to keep it an early evening.”

“Sounds great! The new dog will have plenty of time to get settled before then.”

So the big day came. Anticipation was running high for the birthday girl. I wasn't home yet but my Mom had put the girls down for a late nap so they would be refreshed for the party later. I am not a big person and Mom is even more slight of build. She was in her late fifties by this time. Not so frail but not as strong as she once was.

Carter had called to say he was running just a little later than usual but he would be there in plenty of time to let the dogs have a run. Mom decided she had better give the dogs their supper a little early so they would not disturb the party. She had successfully given Roco and Bella their dishes inside their crates located in the kitchen. Baby Bull realized his was on its way and got a little too excited. As soon as the crate was unlatched he bolted through it at the exact same moment Lizzy came charging into the kitchen awake from her nap and ready for the big event.

Baby Bull did the natural thing and lunged at what he perceived as running prey. He clasped unto Lizzy's arm with his locking jaws and shook...and shook... shook hard! Lizzy's screams woke little sister in an instant and she added to the mayhem with her wails while still stuck in the crib in the bedroom. Of course, other dogs were frantically barking,too. Poor Mom was overwhelmed. She tried with all her might to get the dog off her granddaughter. Even the bite stick kept close by the cages did no good loosening the bargain-champion's grip on the four-year-old's fragile arm.

You can imagine my shock and terror when I arrived at the scene. Nothing we tried would loosen the grip and the ferociousness of the beast's attack. Carter arrived home at that moment and was able to get the dog off poor little Lizzy. He immediately bundled her and rushed her to the hospital. The doctors utilized all their skills and technology. Unfortunately, she had lost so much blood...so much blood was everywhere...they were unable to save our precious young daughter. It had all happened in a split second. A cascade of overlapping horrific elements. And our baby girl was gone!

###

A great deal for a song turned into the funeral dirge of an indescribable tragedy. Today I am still blessed to have her younger sister now twelve-years old. She has her two Grandpa's and my older brother as the men in her life. Someday maybe I'll find the will to marry again. But each night as I hug her extra tight and kiss the top of her head I say a silent prayer. 'Lord, please, no more Bullies'.

The End







March 15, 2023 00:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Graham Kinross
10:25 Jan 23, 2024

“It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling. It was almost dark. It was the fourth of January. It was our little girl's fourth birthday. It was the day of her death.” this is a heartbreaking paragraph. I like the in the know riddle at the start. Those who know… No one should go through anything like this. I don’t know what else to say. Well written. You tugged on my heartstrings.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:36 Jan 23, 2024

Thank you for your heartfelt comment. Just relived this with the tenth anniversary of this horrific event. The mother is a niece through my first marriage so is a cousin to my kids. She lost her husband to cancer five years after this happened. She is incredibly strong. The "in the know" riddle refers to a comment by a judge who thought my original submission was lacking in emotion. The only way I could find to make a change was resubmitted under a new prompt since it was too late to edit. That is why there are two similar stories. Some of ...

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:02 Jan 23, 2024

Lacking in emotion is a horrid comment to pin on any of this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Murray Burns
20:32 Jun 11, 2023

And there are people out there who think they have problems? I can't tell you how sorry I am...how affected I am by this. I'm not sure how this will sound...but when I feel down...or upest about whatever...I think of those St. Jude's Hospital for Children commercials...how tough those kids have it... I smack myself a couple of times and appreciate what I have... and my "problems" fade away. Will be thinking of you.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:23 Jun 11, 2023

Thanks for the kindness. And thanks for going back to read some of these. I know of a little five year old girl from our church that died years ago from leukemia after she was supposed to be getting better. I think of her every time I see those ads.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
19:29 Mar 22, 2023

This is a heart breaking story Mary, but you told it well with a punchy voice. If this is what happened to you then I am truly sorry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
17:40 Mar 20, 2023

Hi Mary, Oh my goodness, the story! When I originally read the title, I actually thought that we were going to go with something like a schoolyard bully story. I think that I was almost kind of imagining it to be like a “mean girls” reimagining. I think it’s because I have heard of that breed being called a bully, but it’s not some thing that I am around a lot, so I don’t think that I put two into together right away. As I was reading the story, I thought it was interesting that you were talking about how things cascaded together. it certai...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anita M Shaw
15:53 Mar 20, 2023

I'm so sorry this happened to you, Mary. And to your precious little girl. I had the same fears myself. Now I take it dog by dog . . . I've known some very nice Pit bulls, all female. I am leery of the males. Same for Rotties. My scare came when my kids were about 8, 10 and 11. I glanced out my kitchen window, one afternoon, to see them romping with a young pit bull. I flew out the door to order them inside, but they said, "She's fine, Mom. Look, she likes to play football!" So, I went to introduce myself to the pup and she had such a ha...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:41 Mar 20, 2023

Thanks for these kind sentiments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
00:18 Mar 18, 2023

I read the original and still find it a horrifying thing to even consider. I read Laurel's comment about bull dogs being the #1 dog in America, but find it interesting the number of Pit Bulls in shelters hoping for adoption. I don't understand how the story has 'drawbacks.' Is it a sensitive subject? Yes, but it isn't filled with over the top violence and gore. Surprising to me they wouldn't approve it. Anyway, again, for me, I like very small dogs. Ankle biters. Always have.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:14 Mar 18, 2023

Thanks for reading both versions. The critic I was trying to please thought I had not put enough emotion into the narrator considering she was the mother. I did not change who was telling the story like he suggested. This story really happened and I already had enough grief re-living it. I don't know why it was not approved. The first one has not been marked as 'submitted' on my profile but I know I did pay for that one. The second one I did not pay for because I was only trying to show that person who commented the revisions I made. It was...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:44 Mar 17, 2023

Just saw in the news that bull dogs are now the number one dog in America (not pit bulls per se, French bulldogs) but given the number of pit bulls I am seeing around, I would say plenty of people are going for that breed as well, so your story has a timeliness. I'm not trying to discriminate against pit bulls (because I know some one will rise to the defense of the "pitties") but stories like yours should be heard and taken seriously. Thank-you for sharing. Love the line: A great deal for a song turned into the funeral dirge of an indescri...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:16 Mar 17, 2023

Thanks for the input Laurel. If you look down my story list you will see I had already entered 'No More Bullies' under good deal with unsuspected outcomes. I don't think it ever got approved. One judge pointed out some drawbacks so I decided to 're-imagine' the writing. It was too late to edit. I searched for a way to enter the new story for free for the judge to re-read. The only option I could find was to go through the current contest. I even tried to enter it in the prompt I had already submitted a story to for that contest. No go. I ha...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
15:22 Mar 17, 2023

Well, you are way ahead of me on this. I just enter a story every week and didn't even know you could contact the judges, certainly not that they commented on the stories. Is that a thing? I am feeling like an idiot. But yes, I am learning a lot by being on this site and reading other people's works.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:28 Mar 17, 2023

I found the gentleman's name under the list of judges. He may have only been participating in the 'critique circle'. Either way, we had been 'replying' to each other. I don't think everyone else can read those replies. You, my fair lady, winner-of-several-contests, are no idiot:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:00 Mar 15, 2023

My feet have been held to the fire enough to toughen me up. Thanks for the kind compliments. Really awed by your talented stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jack Kimball
18:45 Mar 15, 2023

MG Mary, this is heartbreaking. I can't imagine. Thank you for sharing as it's a valuable message, alert really. I love so much you ended on a positive note. You must be a strong person.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.