0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Contemporary

A blast of lightning cast the graveyard in a flash of white light. The caretaker Hook, an ex-soldier, stood eyeing the graves and tombstones revealed in the white light. He was on his midnight visit to see that no unauthorised personnel were about. It was nearing one in the morning and it started raining and he limped back into his guardhouse. He was about to finish his glass of liquor when there was a knock on the door. He opened the door and in the light of the room he saw a slim fellow glide in.

The man said in a whisper “Sorry for barging in! I wanted to escape the rain.”

Hook said “Who’re you? How did you enter the graveyard at this hour?”

The visitor laughed and said “Ghosts don’t need permission to move about.”

Hook was ordinarily a man of great courage. He had been a gunner and had killed enemies in battle and also seen his comrades fall to enemy bullets. But he was scared to hear the visitor was a ghost!

Hook said “Did I hear you right? Are you a ghost?”

“Yes. I’m the ghost of Alex who was buried here yesterday.”

“I wasn’t on duty yesterday.”

The ghost continued with a spark of humour “I can’t speak a dead language! I speak English. The docs did the autopsy on me. They only found I had died of a knife wound.”

Hook felt uncomfortable facing a ghost and getting up swallowed the contents of his glass and asked “Why have you come here?”

Again with a laugh the ghost said “To escape from the rain!” It continued “And also to tell you that my wife killed me. Police are looking for my killer among mafia gangs and thieves. They are wasting time. Tell them what I told you.”

The next moment he was gone though the door was closed! Hook was so scared that he reached for the bottle and poured himself more to swallow. He wondered if the police would believe him if he went to them with the ghost story. He somehow managed to get back to sleep. The next day Hook collected details about Alex. He learnt that Alex had been a good pianist and was on the church’s choir. Hook traced him to his home in a far suburb. He met Alex’s wife Lucy. She was quite young and was quite good-looking too. She didn’t show any sign of grief and not knowing what to say to her merely condoled Alex’s passing.

She said “Thanks for expressing your thoughts. Did you know him?”

For a moment he thought of telling her that Alex’s ghost had spoken to him but he knew he would be considered a fool. Instead Hook told her about himself. He added “I felt like talking to you in your grief.”

Hook asked “What was Alex’s calling?”

“He had started as an organ grinder and would go round places tuning pianos. But it didn’t provide enough sustenance and he took up repair of various musical instruments. He could play many of them himself.”

“He didn’t leave anyone other than you?”

She was silent. He said “That’s alright. I’m sure police will find the killer soon.”

She said “I doubt it. He was mixed up with various bad elements and anyone could’ve killed him.”

“How did it happen?

“I’m answering almost the same questions put by polic e.”

Hook said “I’m sorry. I’m aware of the loss you’ve suffered.”

She said “It’s alright as I’m reconciled to his loss. When you mix up with bad characters, something bad befalls you.”

She asked Hook about himself. He explained about his having served in the army which resulted in a wound to his leg which had left him disadvantaged. He gave his present posting as guard in the grave yard. They talked some more.

Finally she said “You were very kind and your words soothed me. May I invite you to lunch or dinner some time?”

Hook was very surprised and after some thought he said “I would be very happy to join you.”

She said “If you leave your phone number I’ll call you.”

Hook put his number on her phone.

In church the next Sunday, Hook met Isaac who was in police service. Talking to him Hook broached the case of the murder of Alex.

Isaac said “I wasn’t  on the case though I know a few details. Alex was a bad character. It seems he had even pushed some counterfeit currency and was about to be gaoled.”

Hook said “Perhaps he didn’t make enough to support himself.”

“Could be. But some say he was being blackmailed for some reason, may be drugs.”

“Isaac thank you for the information. The bishop has signed to me. I‘ve to go to him.”

A few days later Hook received an invitation to lunch at the home of Lucy. He dressed himself well, combed his hair to partially cover the balding areas, waxed his big moustache and set off on his scooter for Lucy’s home. On the way he shopped for some fruit and pastry besides ice cream and reached Lucy’s house. He found she had dressed well and was made up too. She received him warmly and set the table for lunch. She had made a variety of dishes. As he ate he said “This is fabulous fare unlike what I make myself or get at the church canteen. If I had brought myself an appetizer and a bottle of wine I would say this was a Xmas meal! I must pity teetotallers and vegetarians!”

After lunch she said “We must get together more often. You’re so different from Alex.”

At once he said “How about going to the amusement park next Sunday. I can pick you up in the afternoon.”

She said “I’m looking forward to it.”

As agreed they went to the park. Their first was a boat ride with him rowing. As they went along she said “Hook, Alex also loved boating. It was here I caught him with my own sister. They were apparently having it off for a while and I wasn’t in the know. But once I caught wind of the affair I got Moss the mafia boss to get rid of Alex. In fact I still owe Moss half the fee. Now that we have come closer you must help by giving me some money I owe Moss.”

It was now night and the two stopped at a bar. They had drinks and then Hook set off with Lucy on the pillion clinging to him. The ghost of Alex was watching them and following them. It was then that Alex saw the truck coming opposite at full speed. Hook was also racing ahead on the highway. As the truck and the scooter neared a bend, Alex caused a speck of dirt to fly into the eye of the truck driver. Cleaning the eye the truck driver lost control and that was the end of Hook and Lucy. Alex’s ghost had had its vengeance!

END

October 22, 2022 12:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.