A different lands story

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

35 comments

Contemporary Fiction

I yawned and stretched my arms out. I looked around confused, what time was it? What was I doing in the library? I glanced at my phone, It was 9:30 at night. The librarian probably didn’t realize I was still here. I was sitting in the back of the building, the bookshelves covered me creating a calm area all to myself. I shifted in the chair not knowing what to do. I quickly gathered all my things and walked to the door. “Don’t bother, it's locked” Said a voice suddenly. “Who’s there?” I said unaware that I wasn’t alone. “Calm down” Said the voice. I heard footsteps and a boy around my age, with light brown hair walked towards me. I stepped back urgently. 

“Look, all I care about is getting out of here” He said annoyed at me. “Okay” I said nervously. “Um how about the window?” I said clutching my bag. I put my things on a table and walked towards the window. “It’s too high up,” He said rolling his eyes. “Do you have a better idea” I snapped at him. “There's no way out” I said frustrated and defeated. I went to get my things, I walked to the back of the room. “Ahh” I screamed. “What?” The boy said running towards me. “Oh great is the whole town here” He groaned. There were two people sitting five feet away from us. “Who are you?'' the boy with blonde hair said. “What time is it” The girl with dark purple hair said, yawning. “It’s 10:00 at night,” I said, glancing at her laptop. “I need to get going” The blonde boy said getting up.

He walked towards the door and came back a few seconds later. “The doors are locked by the way” He said embarrassed. “So what are your names?” The purple haired boy said curiously. “I’m Liam'' The brunette boy said. “I’m Amelia'' I said shyly. “My name’s Noah” The blonde haired boy said smiling. “My name’s Lila” The purple haired girl responded. “I guess we’ll have to stay here until tomorrow,” I said changing the subject. “Ugh today’s a Thursday, they don’t open again until Tuesday'' Noah groaned. I walked to the book off the bookshelf and walked back to the table. “What are you doing” Liam spatted at me. “Reading can’t you see?” I spatted back. I sat down and blew the dust off of the book. I opened up the book and closed it again. I walked over to the bookshelf and put it back. I got another book, one that looked much older. The cover was a fine chestnut, the spine was slightly cracked, there was a fine layer of dust on the cover. I slowly glided to the table. I blew off the dust and opened the book. A bright light shone from the pages almost like a flashlight. Suddenly the book started pulling at me. Sucking me up like a vacuum. “What’s happening?” Lila screamed, unaware of what’s happening. We finally gave in and the book sucked us all in.

“Princess Amelia, It’s time for the ball” I heard someone say. I thought it was all a big prank, I wished it was all a big prank. I opened my eyes to see a girl dressed as a maid. I sat up in bed, the maid lady pulled me and brought me into the other room. Another lady who I assumed was the seamstress started putting a corset on me and then started fixing up a gorgeous dark scarlet dress. She finally gave me beautiful shoes, expensive jewelry and a beautiful tiara. She led me to a ball room where I found Liam, Noah and Lila dressed up. I also saw some others dressed as finely as me. Lila quickly asked Liam to dance, Noah came up to me and nervously asked “Uh hey, Amelia do you want to um” He said trailing off. “I would love to dance,” I said smiling. We walked over to the middle and started dancing. “Where are we?” He said urgently. “I don’t know,” I said as confused as him. Soon the ball ended and we decided to meet up outside of “my” castle. After the ball I went back to my room and found something a bit more casual. I found a dress that wasn’t that fancy. I put on the mustard yellow dress and grabbed a cardigan as I opened the huge doors. 

I put on the cardigan and found Noah, Lila and Liam talking. “It’s all her fault” I heard Liam mutter. “He’s not wrong,” Lila said, looking down. “Where is she anyways” Noah yawned. Lila looked back and sat there in horror. Noah looked back and Liam followed. I bit my tongue to stop myself from crying. I could taste the warm blood. The cold breeze made me pull my cardigan closer to my body. I took off and ran back to the castle. “No, please Amelia stay let’s talk about it” Noah pleaded. I rushed up the stairs. I forced myself to stop crying and I sat down on the chair. I found the book that took me here and opened it. The bright light shone on my face and it sucked me in again. This time I didn’t care. It sucked me up like a vacuum sucking crumbs off the ground. 

Birds were chirping when I woke up. The bright sun shone on my skin. “She’s awake” I heard Noah say. “Finally” Lila and Liam said. I already knew they were rolling their eyes. My back was aching from sleeping on the hard ground. I quickly stood up and brushed off the dirt that was on me. I was wearing plain clothes. Noah looked down while Lila and Liam stared right at me. “What” I blurted at them. “Look guys, we should find somewhere to stay” Noah said. He looked at my dirty clothes, my rough skin, my trembling lips but he couldn’t look me right in my eyes. I was glad, if he did he would have seen the pain in them. My heart pounded out of my chest. I quickly checked my pocket to find a golden penny. I walked until I found the village. “Hello, what can I buy with this?” I said to the old lady while holding the coin. “Oh girlie you can buy anything in this shop” She said chuckling. I laughed along nervously. I bought some cloth and some food. I still had twenty silver pennies from change. I went back to the place where I had woken up. 

When I got there I made a small tent-like area. The other stood there not knowing how they would make shelter. I watched them fail at making a ten out of twigs and branches. My heart longed to help them but my brain wouldn’t let me. Finally my brain gave in and my heart took over. It was getting darker by the minute. “You can sleep in my tent, it's big enough” I said to them. They gave me fake smiles and kept trying to make a tent. My heart and brian kept fighting, this time my brain had won the war. I set up an area inside my tent and fell asleep, crying. No matter where I was, I was alone.

I woke up early, very early. The sun was just rising. I yawned and looked outside, Liam, Noah and Lila were sleeping peacefully. A pang of guilt hit me, I was cold even with a blanket they must have been freezing. I looked around until I found the book. The beautiful book that got us into misery. I got the book and opened it. Nothing happened. I closed it and opened it again. My heart started beating again. I bit my tongue. Would I be stuck here forever? 

April 29, 2021 18:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Vera Vuscoe
13:47 May 28, 2021

ARYA NOOOO Not u too! I will be SO sad if u leave! Pls don't! I've convinced people before!

Reply

14:15 May 28, 2021

AHH im so sorryyy im still deciding... please don't be sadd

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
16:58 May 28, 2021

I won't :| and thats good :)

Reply

18:00 May 28, 2021

yeah i havent fully decided im just thinking about it.

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
18:07 May 28, 2021

yeah :\

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:51 Jun 10, 2021

I was just saying bye to Celeste and clicked your comment. It's really sad that people are leaving. If you're depressed, take a break, but don't take your stories down. people love them. Leave them up as something we can remember you by.

Reply

12:46 Jun 11, 2021

I will If I do leave I'm thinking of just taking a break for like a month. Ty

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
20:48 May 06, 2021

"I saw a lot of people do this, so put a ✨on one of my stories if you read my whole bio (Its not THAT long):" ✨✨✨✨ (Fun fact: I started it XDD I did "Say the word banana in the comment section of any one of my stories if you read my bio" XDD XP)

Reply

14:45 May 07, 2021

Oh lol I'll give credit XD I didnt know haha

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:28 May 07, 2021

XD its okay! I really don't need credit XD I just realised that rn like "Did my bananas start a revolution?"

Reply

16:44 May 07, 2021

Lol no it's fine Hahaha yess the amazing bananas

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:52 May 07, 2021

Banoonoooo

Reply

16:54 May 07, 2021

Banayessyess

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Vera Vuscoe
11:48 May 06, 2021

the second part of the reedsy cast is out!!!!!!

Reply

13:03 May 06, 2021

OMG YAY THANKS FOR TELLING ME

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
19:38 May 06, 2021

yw!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:30 Apr 29, 2021

I really like your style as well as the inner monologues, but I have a bit of critique :) So, I read this as an actor reading a monologue, and I'm actually really impressed! My one big piece of critique is that your narrator speaks in very large bubbles and doesn't pause much. As an actor, this leaves me with a lot less space to breathe and think in between paragraphs. There needs to be more thought between, I think. Maybe slice it up a little? Add some colloquialisms? Great story :)

Reply

12:15 Apr 30, 2021

Thanks for the critique, I definitely see what you mean by not having enough spaces. Also should I make this a series, or should I just end it on a cliffhanger? lol

Reply

12:34 Apr 30, 2021

I think this feels more like a one shot thing, but you could definitely lengthen it!

Reply

12:54 Apr 30, 2021

mhm I probably will but not post it let me know if you want to see it when its done!

Reply

13:13 Apr 30, 2021

ooOoh k!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ms. Grace
18:40 Apr 29, 2021

I helped with the title hehe!!

Reply

13:09 May 06, 2021

SMH lol bahahahhahaahahaaahahah

Reply

Ms. Grace
15:27 May 07, 2021

well i mean till you changed it 🙄🙄

Reply

15:28 May 07, 2021

WAIT WHATTTTTT

Reply

15:29 May 07, 2021

AND CHECK UR TEXTS SMH

Reply

Ms. Grace
15:40 May 07, 2021

🙄 fiine

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.