Car Trouble

Written in response to: End your story with someone finding themselves.... view prompt

23 comments

Christmas Friendship Funny


Power off.

My computer screen goes black and I sigh. The work day is over.

I run my fingers over the frosty window, staring at the snow falling onto the busy street. The people down below act like this is a routine, and maybe it is. I wouldn’t really know, because I don’t live in New York.

I get up out of my chair and clock out, passing co-workers who are just now coming in. 

It hardly snows in California where I’m from, unless your in the Tahoe area. 

Other than that, it's definitely the Golden state for a reason.

I shrug on my winter coat, pulling the hood up over my messy blond hair, to keep my ears from freezing. 

I exit the building into the cold streets of New York, passing people. Snow falls onto my shoulders and head, and I realize how much I hate snow. It's annoying, it just seems to never go away.

You have to shovel it and walk through it and when you have kids, play with it?

It's like, why even, you know?

I call a cab, which takes a while because I’m not really sure how you call a cab. I’m not a “natural” at this.

A yellow cab pulls up to the curb, and I wait, the Christmas lights blinking behind me.

“Get in!” the driver says. I open the passenger side door and get in, buckling myself up.

“Thank you.” I say. He nods, pulling his hood up.

What kind of cab driver wears a hood? That looks a little suspicious if you ask me.

“Where are you going?” he asks me.

“North State Apartments.”

He starts driving. “I’m Jackson, I’ll be you're driver today. Care to introduce yourself?”

I crinkle my nose in confusion.

“Riley.” I respond flatly.

----------

He drives and drives, taking me to my apartment. My apartment is quite far away, and so it takes a while to get there.

So when we stop, that’s why I freak out.

“What’s going on?” I ask. I look around, confused. We’re in the middle of nowhere. I didn’t think that was possible in New York.

Jackson opens the car door and looks back at me. “Car’s dead.”

He gets out and shuts the door, leaving me alone. I scream in frustration. The meter is still going!

I watch him open the hood of the car, and then slam it.

“Shit,” he says, getting back in the car. “I forgot that I don’t know how to fix a car.”

I stare at him in disbelief, contemplating choking him in anger. Wouldn’t be so bad, getting angry and than “accidentally” choking him.

“You don’t know,” I whisper. “How to fix a car?”

Jackson shakes his head.

“Oh my god! Why do you even own a car then? I have to go home! My dog is at home alone and I need to feed her!”

“Chill Riley! It's not that bad! I’ll just call a tow truck!” he says, pulling out his phone. I tilt my head back and groan. I’m going to be broke after this.

Jackson calls the tow truck business, and starts to yell after arguing with the person on the phone. Finally, he hangs up and looks at me apologetically.

“It’s going to take an hour..”

“Oh, hell no.” I say loudly. “I could just walk to my apartment! It would be better than this!”

“Riley, you can’t go out there.” Jackson starts.

“Oh, watch me.”

I open the door and get out, the cold snow freezing my ass off. I stand outside for a second and then get back in the car. I can’t stand that.

“Told you.”

“Shut up.”

There is a silence as I stare at the radio.

“Riley,” he says.

What?” I spit, annoyed with Jackson now.

“What are you looking for in life? You don’t seem very happy. You must be missing something.”

I look at him, wondering what he was thinking when he asked that question. “Well, I guess I’m looking for happiness.”

Jackson laughs. “That was so basic.” 

“No, I'm serious! You don’t get it. I’m homesick. I want to go home and be with my family.” I tell him.

“I know, I’m sorry I can’t get you to you're apartment.” he replies.

“That’s not what I meant.” I say quietly. “I’m from California. All my family is there.”

“Then why are you in New York?” 

I bite the inside of my cheek. “Work. I got a promotion and took it, and now I’m regretting it. I hate it here.” 

Jackson’s eyes widen. “Hey! I live here.”

“Sorry,” I say laughing. He smiles.

“Well, it's Christmas, and if you ask Santa, you might be able to get your wish to go back to California.” Jackson says and I cringe.

“Santa’s not real.”

“Who says?”

“Every scientist ever. It's just a kids myth to get them to be good for the whole year.” I say factually. 

“You’re so basic Riley. Have fun. Believe in stupid things, even if they aren’t real. Be yourself.” Jackson says and I smile.

“I am being myself.”

“Be your happy self!”

We stare at each other, and I wonder what he’s thinking. Does he really mean anything he;s saying to me or does he just want me to be nice to him?

“Okay. I’ll take your advice.”

Jackson smiles. “Good.”

----------

We sit in the car, talking about random things until the tow truck gets there, with another cab.

“Miss, here’s your cab.” The tow truck guy says and I smile.

Jackson watches as his cab gets pulled onto the truck. When everything is secured, I start to get into the other cab.

I wanted to wait for him, to make sure he was okay. Now I have to go.

“Riley!” he runs over to the other cab. I roll down the window.

“Oh yeah, I forgot to pay you…”

“No,” Jackson stops me. “You don’t have to pay. I just wanted to tell you something.”

“Okay…” I trail off.

Jackson grins at me. “Merry Christmas Riley.”

He walks off to the tow truck and I find myself smiling.

“Merry Christmas.” I whisper back.


December 13, 2021 14:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

March Roy
15:19 Mar 06, 2022

Woah! that was really good. Nice job! Im March its a pleasure to meet you!

Reply

Jexica Marcell
20:47 Mar 06, 2022

OMG HIIII Thanks for the compliment I'm Jexica but most people call me Jex, or Jexie You take your pick ;)

Reply

March Roy
12:40 Mar 07, 2022

Its a pleasure to meet you jex c:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
09:34 Dec 26, 2021

You haven't been replying to my messages, everything okay? i'm worried about you. :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
.. .
14:23 Dec 23, 2021

omg hiiiiiiii!!! how are you? I haven't talk to you in a while. great story i LOVED it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshara P
17:06 Dec 22, 2021

haven't heard from you in a while, hope everything is going well on your end. 💕

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
21:35 Jan 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Jexica Marcell
16:04 Jan 18, 2022

my pronouns are she/her :) I cant tell you...because someone on here broke my heart, and then someone irl broke my heart its crazy that im still straight... and i love you too <333333333

Reply

Unknown User
19:18 Jan 18, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Jexica Marcell
20:05 Jan 18, 2022

lol both guys wont talk to me anymore... but maybe...theres another guy.... I just met him but...he cares about me...i think? lol

Reply

Unknown User
20:44 Jan 18, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Silias Welson
07:55 Jan 15, 2022

Hey Jexica. <3 I'm sorry you broke your heart... They aren't the only one, you know? ;)

Reply

Jexica Marcell
16:00 Jan 18, 2022

Yeah...But I'm getting over it... :) It really hurts, like, sometimes I'm not sure what to do... Thanks for caring :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jexica Marcell
16:14 Jan 18, 2022

#biostalker...sorry. but you're an Aries??? :)

Reply

Silias Welson
05:57 Jan 19, 2022

I hope you'll be alright soon. :) Haha yes, and you are... a gemini?

Reply

Jexica Marcell
17:17 Jan 19, 2022

I'll be alright once I find my new obsession lmao yeah...sadly...im a gemini if its not too much trouble, would you read my latest? thanks <333

Reply

Silias Welson
18:52 Jan 20, 2022

whatt no. gemini's are wayyy cooler than everyone thinks. and thats a fact. :) yes, i'd love to. :)

Reply

Jexica Marcell
20:24 Jan 20, 2022

aww thank you!!! btw...what happened to your bio??

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Dhwani Jain
14:34 Dec 29, 2021

You have a really nice name! And this story is very good too! I found a mistake though : “Oh yeah, I forgot to play you…” {IT SHOULD BE 'PAY'} That's it! I'd surely read more of your stories!

Reply

Jexica Marcell
16:02 Jan 10, 2022

thank you! I fixed it!!!!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:27 Jan 11, 2022

Welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.