0 comments

African American Creative Nonfiction Romance

Chris Benjamin, Ben for short as close friends and family members call him came into the Big Brother Nigeria reality TV show popularly known as Big Brother Naija as one of the favourites. The tall, well built, light skin middle-aged man showed himself quite the brilliant man who always had a smile to accompany his good taste and look of a man, with mostly native attires on formal occasions to show the quality of the man he is. He knew he needed more than just originality to win the contest. Competitions of this magnitude demanded more than just being cute. Beyond appearance and even competence, the potency of an enchantment only love can provide has proven in the past to give an edge over other competitors. And this is his intentions: to have in his Arsenal all the advantages his person and personality could afford him. 

All through the screening and interview stages his eyes where set on the most beautiful and easygoing of women. He'd flirt a little and attempted to be friends with most of the women he thought would be liked by the viewers. He flirted with them just enough to get their attention and those of the viewers but somewhat short from being too obvious as it may expose his intents. It seemed prefect a plan. And yes, it was. He played smart or at least so he taught.

The earliest three weeks of the show saw no eliminations. All house mates totalling 30 would try to gain grounds and enchant viewers with the idea of their person and everyday life, make friends with fellow housemates and showcase themselves to their viewers enough to be with the majority when voting for and against evictions started.

Nengi sat on the cushion, alone, quiet and calm as she'd always done. Excluded from the noise she took solace in quietude. The reality TV show has been ongoing for weeks now yet very little of her person was known to the viewers and even housemates. She'd politely return all greetings, smile back at those who did so while trying to engage her into conversations. It was hard to fully understand her person; she was somewhat a mystery no one thought of deep enough nor showed so much concern as to try to understand or solve it. She was greatly loved by the the viewers and admired by most of her housemates. Ben had observed this carefully. Maybe because unlike most people he had interest in attaching himself with the type of woman the majority of the people would approve of. It could not be argued on the contrary that he loved most of the qualities she possessed. The quiet, calm, gentle, organised attitude she portrayed were qualities he never could've ignored even every other days. That is his idea of an ideal woman he'd be more than pleased to have for a wife. If there was a perfect moment for trying to win her over, it was now. For she herself was showing a liking for the most admired man in the house. 

"Hey babe." 

"Hi." She replied smiling. 

"Surely I've seen many beautiful women in my life but I doubt if any has been this beautiful." He said as both laughed about it.

 "Well, I don't know about that." She replied trying to not make a big deal out of it. 

Ben moved closer to her. "I mean every word, and this should not be mistaken for mere compliments nor understood as kind words alone." 

"Very well then, the words are appreciated. Thanks." She said smiling.

"This is Big brother, Hetty go to the Diary room." Said Big brother as he interrupted their conversation. 

"Yes Big brother." Replied Hetty as she got up from the sofa not too far from where Nengi and Ben were seated.

"I can't believe it took him this long to finally declare his feelings to me". She thought as she smiled back at him as they resumed their conversation.

"He's quite a man and would definitely add up to my chances. Though he's cool even outside this competition." As she once more thought to herself.

"So..." Ben said smiling. "So...." Nengi mimicked him as they both had their full of the laughter.

"I can't believe you're this friendly and easy going." Says Ben. 

"I mean look how happy you are."

 "What makes you think that I am friendly and easy going?"

 "I mean....it suits you. God you're so beautiful, especially when you smile!"

"Well thanks". Nengi said smiling. "But don't you think I've heard those kind of compliments so many times before now?" She said smiling.

"I'm just saying it for the first time." Ben says as he laughs.

"Most people often don't see beyond my beauty. I get to hear that often and frankly I'm bored with it." 

"I'm sorry to announce to you that if that's all that bores you then you'll be bored for life, cos I'll keep telling you how beautiful you're everyday: even at 70." Both laughed heartily.

This is Big brother, Prince go to the Diary room." Said Big brother as he once again interrupted their conversation. 

"Yes Big brother." Replied Prince as he got up from the sofa not too far from where Nengi and Ben were seated were he was reading.

"You have so many admirers." 

"What makes you think so." 

"You said so yourself not quite long ago that you're bored with people's compliments regarding your beauty." 

"Was that how I said it?" She said smiling.

"Well, not exactly but you sure sounded that way." 

"Not often people gets to admit this but, we all want people to simply love us because we're human beings and not because we look a certain way. What happens when we no longer look that way?" 

"Well it's true. But..."

"No but. C'mon to love unconditionally is that too hard to do?"

"Not everyone can be that lucky though. The hard truth." 

She burried her head between her legs. 

"Hey. I love you. I'm sure you may well have noticed already I do."

 She lifted her head from where she'd burried it. "That's a serious assertion."

"No it's the confessions of my heart!" 

"Let's say you love me today because I'm beautiful. Yeah, you said I am. What happens tomorrow when I no longer look beautiful to you?" 

"I love now. I'll love later and always. You're beautiful to me now at 70 you'll still be the only beauty I love and that'll be truly mine." 

Days turned to weeks and weeks into months. The two became very close. Nengi still somehow wouldn't give in to his advances completely even though she seemed to pretty much enjoyed his company. She'd play it between dating him and wanting him to prove himself worthy of her love. The more she proved hard to get the more the viewers would want her to stay in the show. The majority of viewers took liking for the both. Highlights of the show were events between Ben and Nengi. 

The strategy seemed to have a worked a great deal as both were now in the final rounds. More and more the old strategy was in need of innovation lest it stood at the break of collapse. The truth now is, Ben really was in love with Nengi who seemed in love too but was still too reserved to show she really was. Most viewers now were fed up. Most now supported Ben outrightly given his show of love to Nengi. 

The last elimination at it's final stage took viewers by surprise as Ben was evicted from the house. His game came this far only to betray him to his feelings for Nengi. Without her greatest support she lost the contest by a wild margin. For the part of her that remained in the game wasn't strong enough to cover up for the part of her that left when Ben was evicted. And what beagn as a dating game to aid both the chance of winning a contest ended up in the most unexpected ways. With neither of them winning the contest their strategy at best was a plan gone bad. Though both lost the contest, they won each other's heart and have found love in each other. 

Wait a minute, did I mention the part where Nengi said she'll accept to date Ben just for the contest? My bad! She say so in clear terms. Now look at how fulfilled she is sleeping in his arms!

November 10, 2020 06:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.