Secretly Prince

Submitted into Contest #34 in response to: Write a story about a family game night.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Secretly Prince

           “Children, aren’t you going to thank me for the meal?” The mother of the Rodin family asked in a stern voice.

           “Thank you, Mom.” Moaned 13-year-old Aria and 10-year-old Caspian, who picked at the tomato soup that sat before them. The two frowning children sat on their chairs, refusing to eat, until Mother brought out a tub of ice cream. Quickly, both children devoured the food and stood before their Mother with empty bowls. Mother filled the bowls with frozen chocolate ice cream, then told them to sit back down again.

           “Will you two go pick out a game from the closet, please? I have some prizes for a little game night tonight.” Mother told them. Aria and Caspian scurried to the shelf, both knowing what game to play. Aria opened the closet and pulled out Apples to Apples.

           “No! I hate that game. Let’s play Warrior.” Begged Caspian.

           “Wait, I haven’t seen this game. It’s called Loaves of Bread. That’s a funny name.” Aria answered as she pulled the new game out. As soon as the game was pulled out of the stack, their surroundings started to swirl. After a minute of dizziness, it stopped. There, right in front of them was a metal slide in the floor. It was right there, in the game shelf. Exchanging glances, the children looked at eachother in confusion.

           “What is that?” asked Caspian. Aria shrugged and answered,

           “We can only find out if we go down. You first.” Caspian shook his head.

           “Fine, I’ll go. I’m not scared.” Aria, slid down first, with Caspian right behind her. Everything was pitched black on the way down. The slide finally stopped and both kids fell off onto a street! They stood up. There were people walking around, shops, restaurants, and no slide.

           “The slide is gone! How are we going to get back?” yelled Caspian.

           “Why don’t we look around for a while, and just find out where we are, then we will figure out how to get back. Alright?” Aria turned to Caspian, but he was gone!

           “Caspian!” Yelled the girl in fear, “Where are you?” Aria continued screaming louder. She ran up to a woman holding a white shopping bag and asked,

           “Have you seen a little boy around here, 10-years-old?” The woman didn’t even seem to notice the girl, and continued walking. She ran to more and more people, asking, but not one noticed her. For a test, she screamed,

           “Hello?” Not one turned to look at the girl. Nobody could see or hear her. Well, that good because Caspian must have just walked off then because nobody could see him.

           “Caspian? Where are you? We need to find a way back!”

           “Help!” said a voice in the distance. She recognized and instantly knew that it was Caspian’s voice!

           “I am coming!” she yelled. When she arrived on top of a hill, where the sound was coming from, she saw a man in a black vest, carrying Caspian.

           “Put him down!” Aira demanded. The man didn’t seem to notice her again, but how could he see Caspian? She pulled Caspian from the man and he fell down on the grass. The man instantly announced,

           “We have a new one!” He started to grab for Aria, yet, he couldn’t see her.

           “I know you’re here, where are you?” He announced again. He soon had a hold of me and easily caught Caspian because he could see him. He put them both in the back of his car and began talking.

           “So, I don’t know who you both are. First, I have never seen you before, boy. Who are you?”

           “Um, I.., well came from some kind of slide or something. I really don’t know. One moment I was home, the next I was here.”

           “You say you ain’t live here?” The man stopped the car and turned to him.

           “Yes.”

           “Ever live here?”

           “No. I came with my sister right here.” He pointed to Aria and the man’s eyes almost exploded.

           “You say you have a sister? Is she Aria? Are you Caspian? The Caspian?” Aria and Caspian grew nervous. Caspian quickly mentioned,

           “How do you know us?”

           “The Caspian!” He turned ack on the car, turned around, and drove on.

           “Do you hear me?” Aria questioned.

           “I hear you. What do you mean?” replied Caspian. The man added,           

           “I can hear you Caspian. Aria, nobody in this town can hear you, see you, or smell you.”

           “Why not?” asked Caspian.

           “Because, you’ll see.” He pulled into what looked like a large castle and walked the children in. He brough them to a throne with a king sitting on it.

           “You brought a boy?” he roared.

           “Your highness, I bring you your long-lost son.” Caspian and Aria instantly were confused. The king ran forth to the boy and embraced him.

           “What do you mean?” asked the boy. The king explained,

           “Long ago, when you were not even one, the evil witch cast a spell on the kingdom. She took on of my sons, you. She said that she would have him for the rest of her life. We begged her to give him back, yet she refused. We tried to rescue you, but she was too strong. It comforted us, to see that you were living with her in a good home, with another. Is Aria here?” Aria stepped forth at her name and tapped the man on the shoulder. He tapped her with his golden scepter and she instantly came visible to the crowd.

           “Hi!” she whispered, really confused. The king nodded and continued,

           “Aria, this is not your true brother. You never had a brother.  Aria is not from this world; therefore, she was not visible to us.”

           “But how could I see her?” asked Caspian.

           “You have been given some spell to see all out of this world. You, Caspian, are the rightful heir to the throne. Henson!” A boy, identical to Caspian walked out. He jumped for joy when he saw Caspian.

           “My lost older brother was found!” He embraced the smiling Caspian.

           “What am I to do now?” questioned Caspian.

           “You are to be king!” shouted Henson.

           “We are going to capture the witch and you, and your half-sister will live here forever.” The next morning, a plan was made. The guards lured her into the town, where a trap was set out. She was captured and forever more shall be.

           Years later in the town, King Caspian and Queen Aria were ruled like no other king and queen. 2nd in command, Henson, grew up, rather living with his wife, Shirley on a farm on the outskirts of the town.

           The game night that was meant to be played one morning after the tomato soup, never began, but it was the beginning of a new adventure.

        

March 21, 2020 19:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.