Together in The Silence of The Night (Forever and Always Pt. 2)

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about a family who decides to camp out in the back yard during a power outage.... view prompt

238 comments

Romance

I toss another small piece of popcorn in my mouth, smiling at my screen. My hair falls in my face and I push it back, scoffing at the message. I shake my head laughing, typing out a response.

Suddenly, I’m engulfed in darkness. I gasp lightly and walk over to my light switch, flipping it repeatedly. 

“Elaine?!”

“Right here, Sandy!”

“Ugh, the power went out. I’m going out to buy some flashlights, okay?”

“K, get some candles too.”

“Alright.” The door slams behind her. I frown. I hate it when the power gets out, it’s always so boring. Quite suddenly, I hear a ring of the doorbell. 

Is Sandy back already? I walk over to open the door. 

Standing there, grinning, is Jacob, holding a couple of plastic bags and blankets in his left arm.

Jacob? What are you doing here?”

“Well, you know, your parents are outta town, mine have a work trip, and I know you hate power outages, and-” 

“Oh, just come inside already.” I grab his empty hand and pull him in, slamming the door with my foot behind me. We hold hands until we’re outside in my backyard, where the stars are brightly shining. I don’t let go even as he puts the bags down. He clears his throat.

“I can’t spread out the blankets with only one hand Elly,” I blink.

“Hm? Oh,” I blush, dropping his hand. He smirks, spreading one of the blankets out on the grass. I plop down on it. Jacob sits beside me. He looks up at the sky and drops his hand on top of where mine is, resting on the blanket. I turn my hand and he holds it. I squeeze back. 

“What’s in the bags?”

“Oh, it’s just some s’mores stuff, if you have a fire, I thought it would be fun to make em, and then we could, like, stargaze a bit, and I’d just stay until you fell asleep or something like that, to make sure you aren’t bored in the power outage.” I smile.  “What?”

“You’re just...adorable…” I say,  not breaking the smile from my face. I let go of his hand and walk over to the bags, picking them up.

“Let’s go! I don’t have a fire, but we can do em over the stove, okay?”

“Alright,” he replies, getting up.  We walk over to the kitchen, and I turn on the stove. We get out the sticks, stuffing the marshmallows at the tips.

We hold them over the little fire for about 2 minutes each,. When all the marshmallows are toasted, we go back outside. We eat a bit of the marshmallow along with graham crackers and Hershey’s.

I lay down on the blanket, staring at the night sky. I hear Jacob lay down beside me. 

“It’s pretty, isn’t it?” I marvel, turning my head to look at Jacob. 

“Yeah…” he replies, not taking his eyes from the stars. “Hey, where’s Sandy?”

“Hm? Oh, she went to get candles and flashlights and-Hey, she’s been gone a while…” I sit up. Jacob does too, running a hand through his hair. I get up quickly, speed walking inside. Ring Ring Ring Ring. I run for my phone, pressing the answer button shakily. I didn’t even check for the caller. 

“Hello? Is this Elaine, Sandy’s sister?” a voice says.

“Um, yeah. Is everything alright?”

“Oh, everything’s fine sweetheart, your sister just got into a small car accident, we’ve got her getting checked out over here in the hospital, but overall she’s okay.” I take a shaky breath, my eyes brimming with tears.

“Which hospital?”

“Beaumont. Would you like me to send you the address dear?”

“Um, no thanks I got it. Thank you.”

“Mmhm, no problem.” The call is ended with a small click. I set my phone down.

“Elly? Is everything-” 

“No, everything is not okay. Sandy got into a car accident and…” The tears finally fall down my face. 

“Hey, hey! It’s okay!” he comes over to me, wrapping his arms around me in a hug. I hug him back, numbly thinking about the fact that this is sorta the first time he’s hugged me since we got ‘together’. 

“We gotta get to the hospital.” I sniff, pulling away from the hug. He nods.

His hand somehow finds mine and we walk to the car with them entwined. He grabs the key from beside the door, gently letting go of my hand and getting into the driver’s seat. I get into the front seat, leaning my head back as he drives. 

“Is it….bad?” he asks, breaking the silence and momentarily looking away from the road. His green eyes meet mine.

“The lady said she’s okay, but….”

“...But you’re worried she’s not?” I nod.

“It’s gonna be alright Elly, don’t be so nervous, if the lady said she’s fine, she’s probably fine,” Jacob says, putting his right hand on top of my left, the one that’s busy playing with my bracelet. I sigh. 

“We’re here.” he gives my hand a small squeeze before letting go and getting out of the car. I get out too, shivering in the cold. A familiar large jacket is draped across my shoulders in seconds. Despite the situation, I smile. I look into his bright green eyes, shining in the moonlight. He holds out his hand. I grab it, using my other hand to make sure the jacket doesn’t fall off. 

We stand in front of the front desk.

“Um, I’m here to see Sandy? She’s in the emergency room I’m pretty sure.”

“Okay. That’s right, just turn right in that hallway, okay?” I nod. Jacob and I walk through the hallway, and towards the door labeled Emergency Room- Minor Injury. I hold my breath as Jacob opens the door with his free hand and we walk inside. In there is Sandy, sitting on the bed looking anything but hurt. She just looks bored

“Sandy!” She turns around smiling. As she turns, I notice a small set of stitches above her left eye. Could be worse, I suppose.

“Elaine!” I let go of Jacob’s hand and run over to her, giving her a big hug. 

“Is this- Is this his jacket?” she whispers. I giggle.

Yeah, jealous?” I whisper back. She laughs as we break away from the hug. Jacob stands there sorta awkwardly to the side.

“If you’re so ‘okay’, why didn’t you call! Why did that lady?”

“Oh, ugh, they put me in directly for like an x-ray and everything, so I couldn’t really do anything till 5 minutes ago.”

“Well, what even happened!” I sit down beside her on the bed and pat the spot next to me, motioning for Jacob to come. He blinks, blushing slightly and coming over next to me. I let my hand quickly find his as Sandy starts explaining.

“Well, the whole town had a power outage, it was crazy, I couldn’t see a thing, and next thing I know, the air bag’s comin up in my face!” she says, throwing her hands up in the air. 

“But you’re okay?”

“I’m fine.” I elbow her. 

“You scared me!”

“Sorry!” she laughs. I get up, just realizing that I’m still holding Jacob’s hand. He gets up too.

“Ready to go?” I cock my head to the side at Sandy.

 She shakes her head. 

“ I’ve got a lot of paperwork to fill out. You two lovebirds can leave though. I’ll catch up” I roll my eyes, smiling as Jacob gives my hand a squeeze.

“Ready?” he asks. I nod, and we walk out, back to the car, back to stargazing, back to being together in the silence of the night...

September 11, 2020 23:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

238 comments

Amany Sayed
23:47 Sep 11, 2020

Whooh! I was racing to get this one done before the deadline! I hope you like it! I was missing our little lovebirds, hehe. As always, comments and criticism welcome and appreciated. Lemme know what ya think!

Reply

Amaya .
19:25 Sep 17, 2020

question: I don't know if this makes sense but how do you get this comment to stay at the top, instead of getting lost in the others?

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:30 Sep 17, 2020

Oh, it's not something I do, the comment with the most upvotes stays on top. You can see this one has 13 because most who pass by upvote it. So...yeah. Hope this helps.

Reply

Amaya .
20:14 Sep 17, 2020

yeah that does help thank you! I wish there was a way you could "pin" the comment though the way they do on youtube....that would be so cool.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:49 Sep 16, 2020

Hi, Unknown! Idk...just...hello!

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:52 Sep 16, 2020

Welcome (ahem) to(ahem) Reedsy(ahem) Samara! I have a new story coming out super soon, either later tonight, or early tomorrow. Stay tuned if ya want!

Reply

01:02 Sep 17, 2020

Thanks! Hehe. Niiiiice!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
21:55 Sep 17, 2020

OKay deleted it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:14 Sep 18, 2020

Okay, two things! A) it’s been two days...when’s that new story comin’ out?! Lol, I’ve read a couple of your stories and love them, I’m excited to see the latest piece... :D B) I just posted my first story!! Can you pop on over and check it out? THANKS! —-Samara!

Reply

Amany Sayed
22:42 Sep 18, 2020

A) Yayy, after yelling at the little man in my head who gives me ideas, I finally got it done! It's there! B) Course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
B. W.
01:31 Sep 17, 2020

Hmmm hello there :) i have a good feeling on who you actually are

Reply

01:43 Sep 17, 2020

Ahh, okay then 😏😉

Reply

Sia S
05:06 Sep 17, 2020

Hi Samara ;) I GOT a NICKNaMEEEEE Its Sky !!!!!!!!!!! Call me Sky !!!!!! ( if u wanna ) 🌇🌌🌃 Skyyy6yyyyyyyyyy

Reply

11:32 Sep 17, 2020

Omg that’s going to be SO confusing, because Skylar’s nickname is Sky, lol. But love it! Hi, Sky!

Reply

Sia S
14:10 Sep 17, 2020

Ohh ok. But thanks !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Skyler Grey
15:33 Oct 19, 2020

well hello fellow Sky

Reply

Sia S
15:44 Oct 19, 2020

Hehe hi!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
B. W.
01:45 Sep 17, 2020

so when do you plan to make a story? just a bit curious, i'd love to see what ones ya do on this one

Reply

01:51 Sep 17, 2020

Idk...soon, hopefully!

Reply

B. W.
01:56 Sep 17, 2020

Well if you ever need ideas for something then come and ask me, i love to help others with ideas, which ya probably already know since i talk to ya alot :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
12:03 Sep 17, 2020

Wow, your new bio is so weird! I mean, I love it, but sooooo different from your old one! How long was your old one up, btw? It disappeared nearly right when I got into Reedsy for the first time!

Reply

Orenda .
16:24 Sep 17, 2020

Samaraaaaaaaa follow meeehhhhhhhh

Reply

16:47 Sep 17, 2020

I did :D

Reply

Orenda .
17:15 Sep 17, 2020

Yeeeeeeee thenks *ahem* Amara!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:57 Sep 17, 2020

Hey, Samara! Welcome to Reedsy! I’m also super new. Catarina welcomed me, so now I’ll pass it on :D WELLLLLCOME! REEDSY is aweeeesome. So, yeah, hi! ~Kimmie

Reply

18:30 Sep 17, 2020

Aw, thanks, Kym!

Reply

19:47 Sep 17, 2020

No prob :D Welcome! My good friend Cat is also new to Reedsy! I think you’re the same age...idk, we’re all in college. I think you’ll like her. Be back in a sec!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:41 Sep 17, 2020

hey, so since tomorrow is when the new prompts come out, do ya plan to make a story with one of em?

Reply

23:20 Sep 17, 2020

Idkkkkkkkkk Probably with one of the prompts, but not tomorrow!

Reply

B. W.
23:26 Sep 17, 2020

So, do you know about my novel thing that i'm working on? i still hope its who i think you are because i was gonna mention something about your character i added into it, or if your someone else i could tell you about it

Reply

23:27 Sep 17, 2020

I’m...confused?

Reply

B. W.
23:31 Sep 17, 2020

Oh gosh, sorry if your not who i think you are. but have you seen "Universe" its for my novel? i might have told ya

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Hriday Saboo
06:14 Sep 16, 2020

Whattt!! Is this your last story Nooo this cant happen

Reply

Show 0 replies

I PUBLISHED COLOR QUEST!!! AHHHHHH!!! IT’LL LITERALLY BE ON AMAZON IS TWO DAAAYS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 I’m sending this to a whole lotta people... SQUEEEEEEEE (I squee with joy) 🤩🤩🤩🤩

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:42 Sep 12, 2020

Awwwww. This story was so cute. I loved it! I don't remember though Sandy, was she in the last story? Are you going to do part 3?!?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
15:03 Sep 12, 2020

Hi Amany would you mind checking out my to new stories the first one is a horror and thriller and the older one is about friends and fantasy. Upvote spree?

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:24 Sep 12, 2020

Ouuu I liked thiss all that hand holding was adorablee! And that escalated quickly.. Was Jacob maybe probably going to kiss her right then when he pulled a hand through his hair? My head translated that whole scene like that.. Awwww it was really so cute..is there going to be a Part 3??!! I really wanna see well..read them kiss..that would be amazing. But amazing story Sunny you keep getting better and better..and i didn't catch any typos or anything. And like always- KEEP ON WRITING CAUSE YOUR SO GOOD AT IT!! ~Snow❄*~

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:18 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you so much! Glad you thought so! Well, let's just say I may have considered a kiss scene... You know, I just got this whole scene for them kissing, I gotta go write it before it repeats in my head one more time. None of the Reedsy prompts are speaking to me though, maybe stay tuned on Wattpad. Yay! Thanks Snow! AW YOU TOO!

Reply

16:36 Sep 12, 2020

Of course! And I definitely will!!

Reply

20:30 Sep 14, 2020

HI SUNNY! I wrote it!!! If you have time or if you want please check it out🤭

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
03:48 Nov 28, 2020

My friend this new one is for you 😉

Reply

19:43 Nov 28, 2020

Ahhh I'll go read it right now!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:45 Nov 28, 2020

I'm so excited to see what you thinkkkk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

I UPVOTED YOU A LITTLE! CONGRATS ON 8K POINTS!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
04:34 Sep 12, 2020

I have a new story out. After writer's block. Would you mind checking it out ?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scout Tahoe
14:24 Sep 17, 2020

Hey Amany— I just wanted to say that you should be a role model for people on Reedsy. Your bio says it all. Thank you for sharing that Reedsy isn’t about the points, it’s about the stories. You’re a good writer, friend, and I hope you’re having a good day too.

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:39 Sep 17, 2020

Aw, gosh, thank you! I'm so surprised at the number of people who've seen this not even a day after I put it up. Thank you ^_^

Reply

Scout Tahoe
15:07 Sep 17, 2020

You’re welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:43 Sep 16, 2020

Hey, sis! Congrats on 3 pages of stories! Oh, and yay, you got 500 points through the day! I upvoted you a bit as well :D Me too! (Although I was downvoted 300, so...delightful) Byeeee!

Reply

19:48 Sep 17, 2020

Hey, Cat! There’s another new person our age...her name’s Samara! We’re chatting...c’mere!

Reply

19:48 Sep 17, 2020

How?

Reply

12:21 Sep 18, 2020

Nevermind

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:27 Sep 16, 2020

Hi! ♡ 𝕂𝕪𝕝𝕚𝕖 ♡ and I were wondering if we could upvote some of your comments and stories. What stories would you like us to upvote? We have seen that you have lost some points and you deserve so much more!

Reply

21:30 Sep 16, 2020

Yep!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hey, Amany! What’s with the bio change? P. S. I got another account!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hiyiyiyi! 1. Omg, thanks for putting a link to CQ in your bio! 😄 2. AHHHHH EXACTLY! I write short stories so much and yet hardly ever WRITE write. I think it’s because Reedsy is just more FUN...I mean, we get motivated. Encouragement and stuff. IDNCFJISRFM 3. Haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jamela Faye
08:25 Sep 13, 2020

It's been so long since I opened Reedsy again, and I never noticed your 8033 karma points XD (congratz) And keep writing like always! (I'm still catching up on your new stories, though :D)

Reply

Amany Sayed
12:48 Sep 13, 2020

Thanks so much! Haha, you too!

Reply

Jamela Faye
17:31 Sep 13, 2020

If you wouldn't mind, I wrote a new story called Lost and can you please give your opinions on it?

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:03 Sep 13, 2020

Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
16:14 Sep 12, 2020

So cute! Your dialogue is so natural and easy to follow. I love following these two 😊

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:19 Sep 12, 2020

Thanks so much! I'm so glad! ^-^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
12:33 Sep 12, 2020

Awe, the little bits of romantic gestures like the star gazing are cute. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:22 Sep 12, 2020

Thanks a ton! You too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Awwwww another cute story!! A lovely part 2, their relationship is—I hate to say this, but—*cringe* blossoming. The end is so beautiful! Great job!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:12 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you! Yes it **cringe** is. (I do hope it's the good romance cringe though) Thank youuu!

Reply

Ah, yes. A cringe for a good reason.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
06:40 Sep 16, 2020

Cool story "Amany"! I liked the ending sentence! :D Also, why did you change your name? Is it privacy or something?

Reply

Amany Sayed
12:28 Sep 16, 2020

Thanks so much! No, I wanna see if Reedsy'll stop guessing my age again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.