Second Chances..... really?

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about a TV show called "Second Chances."... view prompt

0 comments

General

I was at my peak when I decided to try my luck at a Dating show because I had become lonely and lazy to want a man I dressed in my best outfit for the shooting of the show. When I arrived at the studio, everyone was looking forward to hearing how my date went. That is how I met Hope, my current husband who is boisterous and patient. It was sheer luck that he picked me. I was his second try because his original did not take. Anyway, it worked out fine because we are currently married and very much happy in our marriage.

He asked me the other day if I was up to going to this new show which was taping in Burbank. He thought that we had not gone out in so long. I thought about it, and felt that I needed a drive in a hot car, without air condition down the Ventura freeway. It had been so long that we had taken a leisurely drive to that part of the state. Anyway, the show Second Chances; was for people who wanted to ask those that they had hurt, to give them a second chance because they misspoke or miscommunicated or misunderstood them in some way.


"Hello everybody. It is good to see all of you here this afternoon. Thank you for coming to try our new show for size. As you are all locating your seats, we will have the band play music for you. Feel free to sway your hands and ask your neighbor their name and address. Just kidding, just introduce yourselves, will you? We will start real soon!" A dazzling good looking host said in his brand new haircut.


We sat next to a couple which wore matching sweaters who seemed convincing that they were high school sweethearts once upon a time. They smelt like powdered perfume and clapped loudly in obvious support of maybe their relative, or supporters of the network, or just regular viewers; six pack Joe and plain Jane!


"Okay you are going to have to stand here and look straight ahead at that camera." one of the producers said to a contestant who was going to face her husband in the altar of bearing it all to the public for a near miss divorce. For them the show was their last stop for either resurrecting their marriage or for ending their marriage.


"I will ask questions and you will hit the buzzer and answer quickly because you must beat the clock, otherwise you will lose a turn and time to be on the show. This show is live. So pay attention! Good luck everybody!!!"

Everyone started clapping their hands with anticipation.


Host: "What are you atoning for?

(a) Missing dinner with your hubbie.

(b) Missing a date night with your hubbie.

(c) Missing your hubbie's birthday


Contestant: "I know this one, missing my husband's birthday."


A crippling sound from the sound effects guy, filled the room.


Host: "Sorry, missing-- date-- night--with your husband; is the answer that your husband was looking for.


Another sound effect like laser beam in a sword fight filled the room. Sad!


Host: "What sort of second chance do you need to make up for your oversight? "

(a) Another date night with hubbie.

(b) Your hubbie to let you call him "Honey" again.

(c) To hear the truth from your hubbie, Careful now."



Contestant (wife): Noticing that she had fallen into a trap. "I will go with

(b) my hubbie letting me call him 'honey' again."


The sound effects guy buzzed her again as the members of the audience moaned!


Host: "No your hubbie wants you to pick (c) To hear the truth."


Host: "Let us all take a break."


The audience members started to whisper among themselves. The producer walked on the stage and told the female contestant to smile even if she was not feeling comfortable.

During the intermission there was a commercial which tried to sell clean motor oil for an environmentally clean engine. etc. etc. which blasted on the TV set.


The female contestant looked like a confused schoolgirl on the verge of tears.

Her husband walked away from the stage for a drink of water and as he was returning to his position, he waved at his wife and then the crew reassembled to continue with the show.


Host:"This is the part of the show where we have our Ms Taylor walk in with envelopes. Contestants must each select an envelope and share the advice in the envelope that they have selected. The contestants will decide if they will accept the advise or walk away without a second chance. Alright. Everyone knows what to do? Al---right." the host said.


In strutted a nice looking woman with a card raised up high. On it, written in cursive; "Second Chances?"

She stopped between the contestants and let them choose one envelope each. Which upon selection was beamed on the screen for all to see.

The contestants, husband said to his wife."You go first." She systematically opened her envelope already fearing the worst, and read,

-Advice, "Let's see other people, I think that I want a second chance with my first wife!"

Contestant 2:(wife) (shocked) said: "Are you for real? You brought me here for this?" she said pointing at her envelope. "Read yours. See if I am as mean as you." she said.


Her husband opened the envelope: Advice: "Once beaten twice shy, I still want another chance with you." the audience exploded in shock and dissatisfaction. How can they misread each other so much?


The host then said to both of them: "Do you want a moment to discuss what you each wrote to one another? We will agree with whatever decision you make."

The band then started playing music and dancers entered the stage and danced like robots. Everybody considered them to be hilarious.


The husband and wife contestants were directed to sit on a couch which was designated as the decision couch. After a lot of hand gesturing, making a point to each other, they both stood up and the wife said: "We are ready with an answer!"


The audience clapped their hands indicating that they were anticipating them.

"I agree with you(meaning her husband). I want a second chance with my dog! See you later alligator!" She walked off the stage and turned her back to the audience and she was gone. The audience booed and clapped their hands at the same time.


Contestant (husband): I agree with her(meaning his wife) too. I want a second chance with my first wife." and he too walked off the stage as the audience booed and laughed at the same time.


Host: "Thank you!"


The episode was over.

The audience clapped their hands looking forward to the next contestants.


Host: "Which of you can guess what the ride back home is going to be like for those two."

The audience chuckled and clapped their hands ready for another couple.




August 08, 2020 07:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.